Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

An ambiguous question in JEE Advanced Paper-1. Please help!

This discussion has been deleted!

Note by Karthik Kannan
2 years, 11 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

when nothing is given, don't we assume it non-conducting rather than conducting.. and that way, even you know the answer is (C). just think, it talks of a wire and a point charge, where does it have to do anything with taking a conducting plane.. but, yes, if it was conducting you would be right.. Pradeep Ch · 2 years, 11 months ago

Usually in multicorrect questions I get pretty nervous if I get only one option correct. So if I had given the test, I too would have assumed it to be conducting just by seeing that 3 options matched! (I'm not saying that only one option can never be correct in multicorrect questions, but usually there are more than one correct options)

Tough luck! Siddharth Brahmbhatt · 2 years, 11 months ago

Another ambiguous one is q.59 Paper 1 code 1. The question doesn't specify that the mentioned plane is XY anywhere. Jatin Yadav · 2 years, 11 months ago

You people can thrash me for what I'm gonna say but... Give me one reason why the field should be different if the sheet is conducting? Its a sheet, its infinitely thin, even if you distribute the "internal" charge in the conductor, it will superimpose onto itself & cancel... then why should it matter whether conducting or not o_O? Jayant Kumar · 2 years, 11 months ago

@Jayant Kumar & I guess they have explicitly used "plane" to remove ambiguity, if what you people are saying is correct, doesn't it mean the field due to a point charge is gonna be different, because that point charge is conducting? say a conducting metal ion particle?? Jayant Kumar · 2 years, 11 months ago

@Karthik Kannan , Did you send them an e-mail about this issue? Vijay Raghavan · 2 years, 11 months ago

@Vijay Raghavan No, I haven't. I was wondering whether I should. Karthik Kannan · 2 years, 11 months ago

@Karthik Kannan There's no harm in sending them an email. If they consider your appeal, well and good! If they don't, your score won't be affected in anyway ;) Parth Thakkar · 2 years, 11 months ago

Looks like I have been really lucky with the two recent problems shared by Parth, Karthik and Jatin. I too was puzzled in regards with the formula of electric field to be used. Since nothing was mentioned, I went off with the non-conducting case. Pranav Arora · 2 years, 11 months ago

I too answered ABC Jatin Yadav · 2 years, 11 months ago

@Jatin Yadav Me too Vishal Sharma · 2 years, 11 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...