Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Brain Teaser....:)

A man who lives on the tenth floor takes the elevator down to the first floor every morning and goes to work. In the evening, when he comes back; on a rainy day, or if there are other people in the elevator, he goes to his floor directly. Otherwise, he goes to the seventh floor and walks up three flights of stairs to his apartment. Can you explain why?

Note by Anika .
2 years, 5 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

He is a dwarf. He can only reach button 7 and on rainy days he takes his umbrella. So he can tap 10 with his umbrella. K K · 2 years, 5 months ago

He's short, but on rainy days he presses the button with his umbrella. Otherwise he can't reach the 10. Mareike W · 2 years, 5 months ago

@Mareike W U r right , Mareike W, The man isn't tall enough to reach the button for 10. On a rainy day, he has an umbrella and can press the correct floor button and if people are in the elevator they can press it for him. Otherwise he can only reach the 7th floor and takes the stairs for the last three floors. Anika . · 2 years, 5 months ago

@Anika . Oh, so I misunderstood the problem and Mareike W understood it right - going to his floor directly means taking the elevator all the way to the top, not going there upstairs. Mathh Mathh · 2 years, 5 months ago

@Mathh Mathh Yes... Anika . · 2 years, 5 months ago

@Anika . Then please edit your problem. 'goes directly' sounds a lot like going there without using any help of a machine. Mathh Mathh · 2 years, 5 months ago

@Anika . I've actually seen this riddle before... Mareike W · 2 years, 5 months ago

@Mareike W nope :/ it's said that on a rainy day he doesn't use the elevator whatsoever, and this is exactly when he has the umbrella. Mathh Mathh · 2 years, 5 months ago

@Mathh Mathh Oh, I thought that "went to his floor directly" meant he took the elevator straight to his floor. My apologies! Mareike W · 2 years, 5 months ago

This is really difficult! Shefali Ahuja · 2 years, 5 months ago

@Shefali Ahuja U should know how to solve such questions if u want to appear for SAT!! Anika . · 2 years, 5 months ago

can you explain why?? Anika . · 2 years, 5 months ago

@Anika . yeah, tell us why pls Mathh Mathh · 2 years, 5 months ago

@Anika . I give up. You tell. Swapnil Rajawat · 2 years, 5 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...