Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Brilliant Inequality Contest - Season 1

Welcome all to the first ever Brilliant Inequality Contest. Like the Brilliant Integration Contest, the aim of the Inequality Contest is to improve skills and techniques often used in Olympiad-style Inequality problems. But above all, the main reason is so we can have fun.

Anyone is allowed to participate, as long as they adhere to the following rules.

1. I will post the first problem. If someone solves it, he or she can post a solution and then must post a new problem.

2. A solution must be posted below the thread of the problem. Then, the solver must post a new problem as a separate thread.

3. Please make a substantial comment. Spam or unrelated comments will be deleted. (To help me out, try to delete your comments within an hour of when you posted them, if they are not the solutions.)

4. Make sure you know how to solve your own problem before posting it, in case no one else is able to solve it within 48 hours. Then, you must post the solution and you have the right to post a new problem.

5. If the one who solves the last problem does not post a new problem in 24 hours, the creator of the previous problem has the right to post another problem.

6. The scope of the problems is Olympiad-style inequalities.

7. You are not allowed to post problems requiring calculus in the solutions (use of differentiation to prove a curve is concave or convex is allowed).

8. Lagrange Multipliers are not allowed to be used in a solution.

9. Inequalities allowed to be used are AM-GM, Muirhead, Power Mean and Weighted Power Mean, Cauchy-Schwarz, Holder, Rearrangement, Chebyshev, Schur, Jensen, Karamata, Reverse Rearrangement and Titu's lemma.

10. Try to post the simplest solution possible. For example, if someone posted a solution using Holder, Titu's and Cauchy, when there is a solution using only AM-GM, the latter is preferred.

Format your proof as follows:

SOLUTION OF PROBLEM (insert problem number here)

[Post your solution here]

PROBLEM (insert problem number here)

[Post your problem here]

Remember to reshare this note so it goes to everyone out there. And above all else, have fun!!!

PROBLEM 1

Let \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\) be positive reals such that \(x+y \geq z\), \(y+z \geq x\) and \(z+x \geq y\). Find families of solutions for \((x, y, z)\) such that the following inequality is satisfied.

\[2x^2 (y+z) + 2y^2 (z+x) + 2z^2 (x+y) \geq x^3 + y^3 + z^3 + 9xyz\]

P.S.: For those who want to discuss problem solutions, they can do so here.

Note by Sharky Kesa
9 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

Solution of Problem 1 :

We will show that the given inequality is true for all positive reals \(x,y,z\) satisfying the conditions given in the question.

Case 1: When x,y,z are sides of triangle.

Let \(\color{Blue}{x=a+b,y=b+c,z=a+c} \); \(\text{(a,b,c>0)} \),so our inequality becomes:

\[\color{Purple}{\sum_{cyc}2(a+b)^2(a+b+2c) \geq \sum_{cyc} (a+b)^3 +9(a+b)(b+c)(a+c)}\]

\[\implies 2 \sum_{cyc}(a+b)^{3} + 4\sum_{cyc} c(a+b)^{2} \geq \sum_{cyc}(a+b)^3 +9(a+b)(b+c)(a+c) \]

\[\implies \sum_{cyc} (a+b)^{3} +4\sum_{cyc} c(a+b)^{2} \geq 9(a+b)(b+c)(a+c) \]

\[\implies 2 \sum_{cyc}a^{3}+ 3\sum_{cyc} (ab^{2} +ba^{2}) + 4\sum_{cyc} (ab^{2} +ba^{2}) + 24abc \geq 9(a+b)(b+c)(a+c) \]

\[\implies 2 \sum_{cyc} a^{3} + 7(a+b)(b+c)(c+a) + 10abc \geq 9(a+b)(b+c)(c+a)\]

\[\implies 2 \sum_{cyc} a^{3}+ 10abc \geq 2(a+b)(b+c)(c+a) \]

\[\implies \sum_{cyc} a^{3}+ 5abc \geq (a+b)(b+c)(c+a) \]

\[\color{Red}{\implies \sum_{cyc} a^{3} + 3abc \geq a^{2} b + b^{2} a + a^{2} c + c^{2} a + b^{2} c + c^{2} b}\]

which is true by Schur's Inequality.

Equality occurs when \(a=b=c\) , that is \(x=y=z\).

Hence proved.

Case 2: When x,y,z are not sides of a triangle.

In this case either \(x+y=z\) or \(y+z = x\) or \(z+x=y\).

Let's take \(\color{Blue}{x+y =z} \).

Since the inequality is symmetric, WLOG we can assume that \(\color{Green}{z \ge x \ge y}\).

Now substituting \(x+y = z\) in the inequality , we get \[\color{Red}{ 2x^{2}(2y+x) + 2y^{2}(2x+y) + 2(x+y)^{3} \geq x^{3} + y^{3} + (x+y)^{3} + 9xyz}\]

After rearranging the expression, we get,\[ x^{3} + y^{3} \geq x^{2} y + y^{2}x\]

which is true by Rearrangement Inequality

Hence proved. Harsh Shrivastava · 9 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Can you write the equality cases for Case 2? Sharky Kesa · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Sharky Kesa I don't think equality exists . . . Harsh Shrivastava · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Problem 8

For positive reals \(a,b,c\), prove that \[\left(\dfrac{1}{a+b}+\dfrac{1}{b+c}\right)\left(\dfrac{1}{b+c}+\dfrac{1}{c+a}\right)\left(\dfrac{1}{c+a}+\dfrac{1}{a+b}\right)\le \dfrac{1}{abc}\] Daniel Liu · 9 months ago

@Daniel Liu Solution to Problem 8

I used a massive expansion, but I've triple-checked so its right (If you haven't figured it out, expansion is what I do with inequalities). We have to prove

\[\left (\dfrac {1}{a+b} + \dfrac{1}{b+c} \right ) \left (\dfrac {1}{b+c} + \dfrac{1}{c+a} \right ) \left (\dfrac {1}{c+a} + \dfrac{1}{a+b} \right ) \leq \dfrac {1}{abc}\]

\[\left (\dfrac {a+2b+c}{(a+b)(b+c)} \right ) \left (\dfrac {b+2c+a}{(b+c)(c+a)} \right ) \left (\dfrac {c+2a+b}{(c+a)(a+b)} \right ) \leq \dfrac {1}{abc}\]

Simplifying the denominators, we have

\[abc(a+2b+c)(b+2c+a)(c+2a+b) \leq (a+b)^2 (b+c)^2 (c+a)^2\]

Simplifying all the brackets, we get

\[\begin{align} &2a^4bc + 2ab^4c + 2abc^4 + 7a^3b^2c + 7a^3bc^2 + 7a^2b^3c + 7ab^3c^2 + 7a^2bc^3 + 7ab^2c^3 + 16a^2b^2c^2 \leq\\ &2a^4bc + 2ab^4c + 2abc^4 + 6a^3b^2c + 6a^3bc^2 + 6a^2b^3c + 6ab^3c^2 + 6a^2bc^3 + 6ab^2c^3 + 10a^2b^2c^2 \\& \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad+a^4b^2 + a^4c^2 + b^4a^2 + b^4c^2 + c^4a^2 + c^4b^2 + 2a^3b^3 + 2b^3c^3 + 2c^3a^3 \end{align}\]

Simplifying, we get

\[a^3b^2c + a^3bc^2 + a^2b^3c + ab^3c^2 + a^2bc^3 + ab^2c^3 + 6a^2b^2c^2 \leq a^4b^2 + a^4c^2 + b^4a^2 + b^4c^2 + c^4a^2 + c^4b^2+2a^3b^3+2b^3c^3+2c^3a^3\]

By AM - GM, we have

\[\dfrac {a^4c^2 + a^2b^4}{2} \geq a^3b^2c, \quad \dfrac {a^4b^2 + a^2c^4}{2} \geq a^3bc^2, \quad \dfrac {b^4c^2 + b^2a^4}{2} \geq a^2b^3c\]

\[\dfrac {b^4a^2 + b^2c^4}{2} \geq ab^3c^2, \quad \dfrac {c^4b^2 + c^2a^4}{2} \geq a^2bc^3, \quad \dfrac {c^4a^2 + c^2b^4}{2} \geq ab^2c^3\]

\[a^3b^3 + b^3c^3 + c^3a^3 \geq 3a^2b^2c^2 \quad \Rightarrow \quad 2a^3b^3 + 2b^3c^3 + 2c^3a^3 \geq 6a^2b^2c^2\]

Summing these, we get the expansion above. Thus, the statement is true. Sharky Kesa · 9 months ago

@Sharky Kesa Consider this:

We just need to prove \[\left(\dfrac{b}{a+b}+\dfrac{b}{b+c}\right)\left(\dfrac{c}{b+c}+\dfrac{c}{c+a}\right)\left(\dfrac{a}{c+a}+\dfrac{a}{a+b}\right)\le 1\] However by AM-GM \[LHS\le \left(\begin{array}{c}\dfrac{b}{a+b}+\dfrac{b}{b+c}+\dfrac{c}{b+c}+\dfrac{c}{c+a}+\dfrac{a}{c+a}+\dfrac{a}{a+b}\\ \hline 3\end{array}\right)^3=1\] A beautiful solution, not by me :P Daniel Liu · 9 months ago

Problem 6 :

Let \(x > y > z\) be positive reals greater than one.

Prove that \[\large{ \sum_{cyc} x^{\frac{7}{3}} > \sum_{cyc} x^{2} y^{\frac{1}{3}}}\] Harsh Shrivastava · 9 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Solution 6: Thank You @Harsh Shrivastava,

Since we are given \(x,y,z \in \mathbb{R^{+} }\) and \(x>y>z\).

We have two sets \(x^2 > y^2 > z^2\) and \(x^{\frac{1}{3}} > y^{\frac{1}{3}} > z^{\frac{1}{3}}\).

By rearrangement inequality we have

\[\Large{{ x }^{ 2 }{ x }^{ \frac { 1 }{ 3 } }+{ y }^{ 2 }{ y }^{ \frac { 1 }{ 3 } }+{ z }^{ 3 }{ z }^{ \frac { 1 }{ 3 } }>{ x }^{ 2 }{ y }^{ \frac { 1 }{ 3 } }+{ y }^{ 2 }{ z }^{ \frac { 1 }{ 3 } }+{ z }^{ 2 }{ x }^{ \frac { 1 }{ 3 } }\\ \therefore \quad \sum _{ \text{cyclic } }^{ }{ { x }^{ \frac { 7 }{ 3 } } } >\sum _{ \text{ cyclic } }^{ }{ { x }^{ 2 } } { y }^{ \frac { 1 }{ 3 } }}\]

Now my time to post questions!! Harsh By the way how did you thought of this? Lakshya Sinha · 9 months ago

Problem 3
Prove the following inequality if \(a,b,c\) are positive reals and \(a+b+c+abc=4\) ,
\[(1+\dfrac{a}{b} +ac)(1+\dfrac{b}{c} +ba)(1+\dfrac{c}{a} +cb) \geq 27\]

Pakistan Round 1-2016
Sualeh Asif · 9 months ago

Comment deleted 9 months ago

@Svatejas Shivakumar Here is the original solution.
\((4-a)(4-b)(4-c)\geq 27abc\)
\((64-16(a+b+c)+4(ab+bc+ca)-abc))\geq 27abc\)
\(ab+bc+ca\geq 3abc\)
Note that \(ab+bc+ca\geq 3(abc)^{\frac{2}{3}}\geq 3abc\)
This simplifies to \(1\geq abc\) which is true from our condition! Sualeh Asif · 9 months ago

Problem 13

Given that \(a,b,c\) are non-negative reals satisfying \(a+b+c=1\), prove that \[(1-a)(1-b)(1-c)\le \dfrac{7}{27}+abc\] Daniel Liu · 9 months ago

@Daniel Liu Solution to Problem 13

I expanded (once more) to get a solution.

Replace \((1-a), (1-b), (1-c)\) with \((b+c), (c+a), (a+b)\) in the in equation to get:

\[(a+b)(b+c)(c+a) \leq \dfrac {7}{27} + abc\]

Expanding and simplifying, we get

\[a^2b + a^2c + b^2a + b^2c + c^2a + c^2b + abc \leq \dfrac {7}{27}\]

Removing the denominator, we get

\[27a^2b + 27a^2c + 27b^2a + 27b^2c + 27c^2a + 27c^2b + 27abc \leq 7\]

Homogenising the RHS, we get

\[27a^2b + 27a^2c + 27b^2a + 27b^2c + 27c^2a + 27c^2b + 27abc \leq 7(a+b+c)^3\]

\[27a^2b + 27a^2c + 27b^2a + 27b^2c + 27c^2a + 27c^2b + 27abc \leq 7a^3 + 7b^3 + 7c^3 + 21a^2b + 21a^2c + 21b^2a + 21b^2c + 21c^2a + 21c^2b + 42abc\]

\[6a^2b + 6a^2c + 6b^2a + 6b^2c + 6c^2a + 6c^2b \leq 7a^3+ 7b^3 + 7c^3 + 15abc\]

\[a^2(b + c) + b^2(a + c) + c^2(a + b) \leq \dfrac {7}{6} a^3 + \dfrac {7}{6} b^3 + \dfrac {7}{6} c^3 + \dfrac {5}{2} abc\]

Note that by Schur's, \(a^2(b + c) + b^2(a + c) + c^2(a + b) \leq a^3 + b^3 + c^3 + 3abc\). We will prove the sharper inequality:

\[a^3 + b^3 + c^3 + 3abc \leq \dfrac {7}{6} a^3 + \dfrac {7}{6} b^3 + \dfrac {7}{6} c^3 + \dfrac {5}{2} abc\]

\[6a^3 + 6b^3 + 6c^3 + 18abc \leq 7a^3 + 7b^3 + 7c^3 + 15abc\]

\[3abc \leq a^3 + b^3 + c^3\]

Which is obviously true by AM-GM. Thus, proven. Sharky Kesa · 9 months ago

@Sharky Kesa Note that this problem is actually equivalent to IMO 1984 #1.

Extension: can you find the best constants for the RHS? Daniel Liu · 9 months ago

Problem 25

For the positive real numbers \(a, b, c\) prove that: \[\dfrac{1}{b(a+b)} + \dfrac{1}{c(b+c)} + \dfrac{1}{a(c+a)} \geq \dfrac{27}{2(a+b+c)^2}\] Chris Galanis · 8 months, 2 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis Solution to Problem 25

This solution is quite long and extremely bashy. Sorry. :P

We have to prove

\[\displaystyle \sum_{\text{cyc}} \dfrac {1}{b(a+b)} \geq \dfrac {27}{2(a+b+c)^2}\]

Multiplying out the denominators and simplifying (here is the bash, but I have suppressed it), we get

\[\displaystyle \sum_{\text{cyc}} 2a^5 b + 6a^4 b^2 + 2a^2 b^4 + 6a^3 b^3 + 8a^4bc \geq \displaystyle \sum_{\text{cyc}} 7a^3 b^2 c + 9a^3 b c^2 + 8 a^2 b^2 c^2\]

By AM-GM, we have

\[\dfrac {a^5 b + a^4 b^2 + c^4 a^2 + a^2 b^4 + a^2 b^4 + a^3 b^3 + a^3 c^3}{7} \geq \sqrt[7]{a^{21}b^{14}c^7}\]

\[\dfrac {a^5 b + a^4 b^2 + c^4 a^2 + c^4 a^2 + c^4 a^2 + a^3 b^3 + a^3 b^3 + a^3 c^3 + a^3 c^3}{9} \geq \sqrt[9]{a^{27}b^{9}c^{18}}\]

\[\dfrac {8a^4bc + 8ab^4c + 8abc^4}{3} \geq \sqrt[3]{24a^6 b^6 c^6}\]

These inequations imply

\[a^5 b + a^4 b^2 + c^4 a^2 + 2a^2 b^4 + a^3 b^3 + a^3 c^3 \geq 7a^3 b^2 c\]

\[a^5 b + a^4 b^2 + 3c^4 a^2 + 2a^3 b^3 + 2a^3 c^3 \geq 9a^3 b c^2\]

\[8a^4bc + 8ab^4c + 8abc^4 \geq 24a^2 b^2 c^2\]

Adding the first two equations cyclicly, then adding the third equation, we get the statement we wished to prove. Thus proven!

PS: It took me hours to get the right grouping of terms for the AM-GM. Sharky Kesa · 8 months, 2 weeks ago

@Sharky Kesa You could have grouped them by triples of powers that majorize each other, and then applied AM-GM... Saves you all the time of finding your own grouping ;) Daniel Liu · 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Problem 14

Show that for non-negative real \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\),

\[2x^3 (x^3 + 8y^3) + 2y^3 (y^3 + 8z^3) + 2z^3 (z^3 + 8x^3) \geq 9x^4 (y^2 + z^2) + 9y^4 (z^2 + x^2) + 9z^4 (x^2 + y^2)\] Sharky Kesa · 9 months ago

@Sharky Kesa SOLUTION OF PROBLEM 14 \[LHS - RHS = \displaystyle \sum_{cyc} (x-y)^4(x^2 + 4xy + y^2) \geq 0\] Hence proved Chris Galanis · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis @Chris Galanis Can you please tell how you came up with that factorization? Svatejas Shivakumar · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

@Svatejas Shivakumar Actually when I solve inequalities this way I expect \(LHS-RHS \geq 0\). Since \(x, y, z\) are non negative I expect all the negative terms to form a square. In particular I tried to find pattern like \(a^2 - 2ab +b^2\) (which is \((a-b)^2\)) or \(a^4 - 4a^3b + 6a^2b^2 -4ab^3 + b^4\) (which is \((a-b)^4\)). Just that Chris Galanis · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis Nice! Svatejas Shivakumar · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Problem 5

Let \(x\), \(y\), \(z\) be positive reals such that \(xyz=1\). Show that

\[\dfrac {2}{(x+1)^2+y^2+1} + \dfrac {2}{(y+1)^2+z^2+1} + \dfrac {2}{(z+1)^2+x^2+1} \leq 1\] Sharky Kesa · 9 months ago

@Sharky Kesa Solution 5 :

\((x-y)^{2} \geq 0 \)

\(\implies x^{2} + y^{2} \geq 2xy\)

Adding \(2x+2\) on both sides, \(x^{2} + y^{2} +2x + 2 \geq 2xy +2x +2\)

\(\implies \dfrac{1}{xy+x+1} \geq \dfrac{2}{x^{2} + y^{2} +2x + 2 }\)

\[\implies \dfrac{1}{xy+x+1} \geq \dfrac{2}{(x+1)^2+y^2+1 }\]

Similarly , \[\dfrac{1}{yz+y+1} \geq \dfrac{2}{(y+1)^2+z^2+1 }\] and \[\dfrac{1}{zx+z+1} \geq \dfrac{2}{(z+1)^2+x^2+1 }\]

Adding the three inequalities, we get \[\dfrac {2}{(x+1)^2+y^2+1} + \dfrac {2}{(y+1)^2+z^2+1} + \dfrac {2}{(z+1)^2+x^2+1} \leq \dfrac{1}{yz+y+1} + \dfrac{1}{xy+x+1}+ \dfrac{1}{xz+z+1} \]

Since \(\dfrac{1}{yz+y+1} + \dfrac{1}{xy+x+1}+ \dfrac{1}{xz+z+1} = 1 \), the result is evident. Harsh Shrivastava · 9 months ago

@Chris Galanis, @Sualeh Asif, @Daniel Liu, @Sharky Kesa, @Harsh Shrivastava, @Svatejas Shivakumar. Thanks everyone fit making this such a beautiful contest, hope it went on! For season 2 I will be the organiser, comment please for it. Lakshya Sinha · 7 months, 2 weeks ago

@Lakshya Sinha Sure! Harsh Shrivastava · 7 months, 2 weeks ago

@Lakshya Sinha Waiting forit to begin... Sualeh Asif · 7 months, 2 weeks ago

@Lakshya Sinha More than welcome :) Svatejas Shivakumar · 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Problem 15

Let \(x_1, x_2, x_3, \ldots, x_m >1\) ,where \(m \in \mathbb{N^+}\), be positive integers such that \(x_j < x_{j+1}\) \((1 \leq j < m)\).

Prove that \[\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^m \frac{1}{x_i^3} < 1\] Chris Galanis · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis Another interesting solution.

We got \[x_i \geq i+1 \Leftrightarrow \frac{1}{x_i^3} \leq \frac{1}{(i+1)^3} < \frac{1}{(i+1)^2} < \frac{1}{i(i+1)} = \frac{1}{i} - \frac{1}{i+1} \Leftrightarrow \frac{1}{x_i^3} < \frac{1}{i} - \frac{1}{i+1}(*)\] Thus taking the sum for \(i = 1\) until \(i = m\): \[\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^m \frac{1}{x_i^3} \stackrel{(*)}{<} \sum_{i=1}^m \frac{1}{i} - \frac{1}{i+1} = 1 - \frac{1}{m+1} <1\] Since \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^m \frac{1}{i} - \frac{1}{i+1}\) is a telescoping series. Hence proved Chris Galanis · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis \[\sum_{i=1}^{m} \dfrac{1}{x_i^3} < \int_{i=1}^{\infty}\dfrac{1}{x^3}\text{ d}x = \dfrac{1}{2} < 1\] Daniel Liu · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

PROBLEM 12

If \(a,b,c,d\) are positive reals such that \(abcd=1\), prove that \(\dfrac{1}{(1+a)(1+a^{2})}+\dfrac{1}{(1+b)(1+b^{2})}+\dfrac{1}{(1+c)(1+c^{2})}+\dfrac{1}{(1+d)(1+d^{2})} \ge 1\) Svatejas Shivakumar · 9 months ago

@Svatejas Shivakumar This is a very famous and hard inequality... I don't know the classical way to solve it but here's a way using Vasc's RCF theorem.

We want to prove \[\sum \dfrac{1}{1+a+a^2+a^3}\ge 1\] given \(abcd=1\). Let \(e^w=a, e^x=b\) etc. and let \(f(x)=\dfrac{1}{1+e^x+e^{2x}+e^{3x}}\) and the condition is \(w+x+y+z=0\) with the inequality \[f(w)+f(x)+f(y)+f(z) \ge 1\] By RCF Theorem since \(f(x)\) is convex for \(x\ge 0\) it suffices to prove the inequality for \(x=y=z\) and \(w=-3x\). So \[f(-3x)+3f(x)\ge 1\] Let \(g(x)=f(-3x)+3f(x)\) and taking the derivative gives us that \(x=0\) is the only local minima. Since \(\lim\limits_{x\to\infty}g(x)=1\) we need only to check \(x=0\). But \(g(0)=1\) so \(g(x) \ge 1\) and the inequality is proved. Daniel Liu · 9 months ago

@Daniel Liu See this link for the original solution. Svatejas Shivakumar · 9 months ago

Problem 10

Given that \(a_2, a_3, \ldots , a_n\) is a permutation of \(\{2, 3, \ldots , n\}\), prove that \[(2a_2-1)(3a_3-1)\cdots (na_n-1)\ge \dfrac{(n-1)!(n+1)!}{2}\] Daniel Liu · 9 months ago

@Daniel Liu Solution 10 :

Observe that\[\dfrac{(n-1)!(n+1)!}{2} = (n^{2}-1)((n-1)^{2} - 1) \cdots (3^{2}-1)(2^{2}-1)\]

So now the inequality becomes \[(2a_2-1)(3a_3-1)\cdots (na_n-1)\ge (n^{2}-1)((n-1)^{2} - 1) \cdots (3^{2}-1)(2^{2}-1)\]

This can be proven by applying Reverse Rearrangement Inequality on the sets \({X} : (a_{2}-1),(a_{3}-1) \cdots, (a_{n}-1)\) and \({Y} : (1 \times a_{2}), (2\times a_{3}),(3\times a_{4}) \cdots,( (n-1) \times a_{n})\).

\(X,Y\) will be similarly ordered when \(a_{k} = k\).

So applying Reverse Rearrangement Inequality (Random Sum Product > Similar ordered Product), \[\displaystyle\prod_{i=2}^n (X_{i}+Y_{i}) \geq \displaystyle\prod_{i=2}^n(i^{2} - 1)\] Harsh Shrivastava · 9 months ago

Some of you might have seen this but still answer me.

Problem 7

Let \(a, b, c\) be positive real numbers such that \( \dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}+\dfrac{1}{c}=a+b+c\). Prove that

\[\Large{\frac { 1 }{ { \left( 2a+b+c \right) }^{ 2 } } +\frac { 1 }{ { \left( 2b+c+a \right) }^{ 2 } } +\frac { 1 }{ { \left( 2c+a+b \right) }^{ 2 } } \le \frac { 3 }{ 16 } }\] Lakshya Sinha · 9 months ago

@Lakshya Sinha Solution to Problem 7

By AM-GM \(\dfrac{1}{(2a+b+c)^2} \le \dfrac{1}{4(a+b)(a+c)}\) and thus it remains to prove \[\sum_{cyc} \dfrac{1}{(a+b)(a+c)}\le \dfrac{3}{4}\] Clearing denominators, it remains to prove \(8(a+b+c)\le 3(a+b)(b+c)(c+a)\) and after homogenizing this becomes \[8abc(a+b+c)^2 \le 3(ab+bc+ca)(a+b)(b+c)(c+a)\] which after expansion and simplification is \[3\sum_{sym}a^3b^2 \ge \sum_{sym}a^3bc+2\sum_{sym}a^2b^2c\] which is true by Muirhead. Daniel Liu · 9 months ago

PROBLEM 2 :

Let \(a,b\) and \(c\) be non-negative reals such that \(a+b+c = 1\).

Show that \[1 + 6abc \geq \dfrac{1}{4} + 3(a+b)(b+c)(c+a)\] Harsh Shrivastava · 9 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Homogenizing and expanding gives \[a^3+b^3+c^3+6abc \ge a^2b+ab^2+b^2c+bc^2+c^2a+ca^2\] which is just Schur. Daniel Liu · 9 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Solution Problem 2:
\(1+6abc \geq \dfrac{1}{4} +3(1-a)(1-b)(1-c)\)
\(1+6abc \geq \dfrac{1}{4} +3(1-(a+b+c)+\sum_{cyc} ab -abc)\)
\(1+6abc \geq \dfrac{1}{4} +3(\sum_{cyc} ab -abc)\)
\(\dfrac{3}{4}+9abc \geq 3 \times \sum_{cyc} ab \)
\(\dfrac{1}{4}+3abc - \sum_{cyc} ab \geq 0\)
\(1+ 12abc \geq 4 \sum_{cyc} ab\)
\((a+b+c)^3+12abc \geq \sum_{cyc} ab\)
\(a^3+b^3+c^3+6abc \geq \sum_{sym} a^2b\)
This is schurs inequality. Sualeh Asif · 9 months ago

@Sualeh Asif How did you use \(ab+bc+ca \le \dfrac{1}{3}\) on \(1+12abc\ge 4(ab+bc+ca)\) to get \(abc\ge 0\)? Daniel Liu · 9 months ago

@Sharky Kesa The contest ended? Wish it could have continued for some for time. Anyway thanks to everyone who participated in this contest, learnt a lot and had a lot of fun. Svatejas Shivakumar · 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Problem 27

Given positive reals \(a,b,c\), prove that \[3\sum_{cyc}\dfrac{a+b}{c}\ge 10+8\cdot \dfrac{a^2+b^2+c^2}{ab+bc+ca}\] Daniel Liu · 8 months, 1 week ago

@Daniel Liu (1) \((a+b)(b+c)(c+a) \ge \dfrac{8}{9}(a+b+c)(ab+bc+ca)\) which is true since by expanding and simplifying we get \(\displaystyle \sum_{sym} a^2b \ge 6abc\) which is rearrangement inequality.

(2) \(\Big(\displaystyle \sum_{sym} a^2b\Big)+2abc = (a+b)(b+c)(c+a) \) and \((a+b+c)^2 = a^2+b^2+c^2 +2(ab+bc+ca)\)

\[3 \displaystyle \sum_{cyc} \dfrac{a+b}{c} \ge 10 + 8\cdot \dfrac{a^2+b^2+c^2}{ab+bc+ca}\] Adding \(6\) to both sides and using (2) we get:

\[3\dfrac{(a+b)(b+c)(c+a)}{abc} \ge 8\dfrac{(a+b+c)^2}{ab+bc+ca}\] Thus by (1) it suffices to prove that:

\[(ab+bc+ca)^2\ge 3abc(a+b+c)\] Which is true since by expanding and simplifying both sides we get rearrangement inequality. Hence proved! Chris Galanis · 8 months ago

Problem 26

Given positive reals \(x\), \(y\), \(z\) greater than or equal to 1 such that

\[\dfrac {1}{x} + \dfrac {1}{y} + \dfrac {1}{z} = 2\]

Prove

\[\sqrt{x+y+z} \geq \sqrt{x-1} + \sqrt{y-1} + \sqrt{z-1}\] Sharky Kesa · 8 months, 2 weeks ago

@Sharky Kesa Another solution:

The problem is equivalent to \[(x+y+z)\left(3-\dfrac{1}{x}-\dfrac{1}{y}-\dfrac{1}{z}\right)\ge \left(\sqrt{x-1}+\sqrt{y-1}+\sqrt{z-1}\right)^2\]

Confirm that \(1-\dfrac{1}{x}\ge 0\implies x\ge 1\); thus, by C-S we are done. Daniel Liu · 8 months, 1 week ago

Sorry for the delay guys, and the inconvenience caused by me.

Problem 24:

Let a,b,c be positive reals.

Prove that \[\displaystyle \prod_{cyc} (1 + \dfrac{a}{b}) \geq 2(1 + \dfrac{a+b+c}{ (abc)^{\frac{1}{3}}})\] Harsh Shrivastava · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Open up the brackets and simplify a bit to get \[\large \sum_{cyc} (\frac{a}{b} + \frac{a}{c}) \geq 2\dfrac{(a+b+c)}{(abc)^{\frac{1}{3}}}\]

Substitute \(a = x^{3}, b= y^{3} and c = z^{3}\), we get \[\large \sum_{cyc} (\frac{x^{3}}{y^{3}} + \frac{x^{3}}{z^{3}}) \geq 2\dfrac{(x^{3} + y^{3}+ z^{3})}{xyz} = \sum_{cyc} (\dfrac{x^{2}}{yz} + \dfrac{x^{2}}{yz})\]

Now using re-arrangement inequality, we can get our desired result. Harsh Shrivastava · 8 months, 2 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I think this is equivalent to \((1+\dfrac{a}{b})(1+\dfrac{b}{c})(1+\dfrac{c}{a}) \geq 2(1+\dfrac{a+b+c}{(abc)^{1/3}})\)

By applying Holder's Inequality to LHS it suffices to prove that \[\Big((1+(\dfrac{a}{b} \dfrac{b}{c} \dfrac{c}{a})^{1/3}\Big)^3 \geq 2(1+\dfrac{a+b+c}{(abc)^{1/3}}) \\ \Rightarrow 4 \geq 1+\dfrac{a+b+c}{(abc)^{1/3}} \\ \Rightarrow (abc)^{1/3} \geq \dfrac{a+b+c}{3}\] But by AM-GM this is true only for \(a=b=c=1\)

Edit: If the problem had the direction of the inequality flipped then we would have to prove that

\[\begin{equation} \begin{split} (1+\dfrac{a}{b})(1+\dfrac{b}{c})(1+\dfrac{c}{a}) & \leq 2(1+\dfrac{a+b+c}{(abc)^{1/3}}) \\ & \stackrel{AM-GM}{\leq}2(1+\dfrac{a+b+c}{{a+b+c}/_3}) = 8\end{split} \end{equation}\]

Then it suffices to prove that \[\begin{equation} \begin{split} & (a+b)(b+c)(c+a) \leq 8abc \\ & \stackrel{AM-GM}{\leq} \Big(\dfrac{2}{3}(a+b+c)\Big)^3 \leq 8abc \\ & \Rightarrow a^3 + b^3 +c^3 +3a^2b+3a^2c+3ab^2+3ac^2+3b^2c+3bc^2 \leq 21abc \end{split} \end{equation}\] But again that would be true by rearrangement inequality if the direction of the inequality was flipped... Chris Galanis · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis The problem is that every time you apply an inequality, the inequality weakens a bit. If you apply inequalities in the incorrect fashion or too much, then the original inequality will weaken to the point that it is false. Daniel Liu · 8 months, 1 week ago

@Chris Galanis Next problem please! Svatejas Shivakumar · 8 months, 2 weeks ago

@Svatejas Shivakumar I request someone to post a problem on my behalf. Thanks! Harsh Shrivastava · 8 months, 2 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis @Chris Galanis I hope you post your problem soon! Sualeh Asif · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Sualeh Asif This was not a solution... I wait for Harsh or someone else to post the solution Chris Galanis · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Sualeh Asif I believe that it isn't a solution. The sign must be interchanged. Even I got that after applying A.M-G.M. You pretty much cannot use anything I guess. Such a strange inequality. Svatejas Shivakumar · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Svatejas Shivakumar Since the inequality is homogenous, we assume \(abc=1\).
We can factor it to \[\sum_{cyc} (a+b)(ab-1)\geq 0\] Sualeh Asif · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Hmm sorry guyz I won't be able to post solution now because I am a bit busy. Will post a solution by tmmrw evening(my time zone). Harsh Shrivastava · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Problem 23

Find the greatest positive real number \(k\), for which is true that \[\dfrac{xy}{\sqrt{(x^2+y^2)(3x^2+y^2)}} \leq \dfrac{1}{k}\] for all positive real numbers \(x, y\). Chris Galanis · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis

Harsh Shrivastava · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Problem 22

Here is a very nice problem I came across.

Given that \(a,b,c\) are non-negative reals, prove that \[(a^2+2)(b^2+2)(c^2+2)\ge 3(a+b+c)^2\] Daniel Liu · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Daniel Liu Solution of Problem 22

By Cauchy we got: \((a^2+2)(1+\frac{(b+c)^2}{2}) \geq (a+b+c)^2\)

Then it suffices to prove that \((b^2+2)(c^2+2) \geq 3(1+\frac{(b+c)^2}{2})\)

By rearranging and simplifying we get: \[(b^2-2bc+c^2) + (2b^2c^2-4bc+1) \geq 0 \\ (b-c)^2 + 2(bc-1)^2 \geq 0\] Which is true. Equality holds iff \(a=b=c=1\). Chris Galanis · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Comment deleted 8 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava It's false ;) Daniel Liu · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Can you show that please? Chris Galanis · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis Can you please elaborate on your first step? I don't seem to see the Cauchy. Did you perhaps mean \(\dfrac{(b+c)^2}{2}\) instead of \(\dfrac{b+c}{2}\)?

EDIT: I tried to solve the problem using your idea and it appears that you have only just typoed. Splendid solution! Daniel Liu · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Daniel Liu Sorry, I fixed that ! Chris Galanis · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Problem 16

For positive reals \(a,b,c\), prove \[ \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2 + 8bc}} + \frac{b}{\sqrt{b^2 + 8ca}} + \frac{c}{\sqrt{c^2 + 8ab}} \geq 1. \]

Source: ISL Daniel Liu · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

@Daniel Liu Solution to Problem 16

I used Jensen's Inequality to solve this problem.

Apply Jensen's on the convex function

\[f(x) = \dfrac {1}{\sqrt{x}}\]

and weights \(a\), \(b\), \(c\) in the following way.

\[\dfrac {a \text{ } f(a^2 + 8bc) + b \text{ } f(b^2 + 8ca) + c \text{ } f(c^2 + 8ab)}{a+b+c} \geq f \left (\dfrac {a(a^2 + 8bc) + b(b^2 + 8ca) + c(c^2 + 8ab)}{a+b+c} \right )\]

This may be rewritten as

\[\dfrac{a}{\sqrt{a^2 + 8bc}} + \dfrac{b}{\sqrt{b^2 + 8ca}} + \dfrac{c}{\sqrt{c^2 + 8ab}} \geq \dfrac {(a+b+c)^{\frac {3}{2}}}{\sqrt {a^3 + b^3 + c^3 + 24abc}}.\]

Thus, it suffices to prove

\[(a+b+c)^3 \geq a^3 + b^3 + c^3 + 24abc\]

But we can expand this and simplify to get

\[a^2b + a^2c + b^2a + b^2c + c^2a + c^2b + 2abc \geq 8abc\]

\[(a+b)(b+c)(c+a) \geq 8abc\]

Which is true by AM-GM. Thus proven. Sharky Kesa · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Problem 11 :

If \(a,b,c\) are positive real numbers that satisfy \(a+b+c=1\), prove that \[\sqrt{a+bc}+ \sqrt{b+ac} + \sqrt{c+ba} \leq 2 \] Harsh Shrivastava · 9 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava SOLUTION OF PROBLEM 11

\((a+b+c)^{2}=a^{2}+b^{2}+c^{2}+2(ab+bc+ca)=1\) or \(ab+bc+ca \le \dfrac{1}{3}\) \(\color{Red}{\text{Since}} \quad \color{Red}{{a^{2}+b^{2}+c^{2} \ge ab+bc+ca}}\)

Now, by Cauchy-Schwarz inequality \(\sqrt{(\sqrt{a+bc})^{2}+(\sqrt{b+ac})^{2}+(\sqrt{c+ba})^{2}(1+1+1)} \ge \sqrt{a+bc}+\sqrt{b+ac}+\sqrt{c+ba}\) or \(\sqrt{3+3(ab+bc+ca)} \ge \sqrt{a+bc}+\sqrt{b+ac}+\sqrt{c+ba}\)

We are done if we prove \(2 \ge \sqrt{3+3(ab+bc+ca)}\) or \(ab+bc+ca \le \dfrac{1}{3}\) which is true.

Equality holds when \(a=b=c=\dfrac{1}{3}\). Hence proved. Svatejas Shivakumar · 9 months ago

@Svatejas Shivakumar Can you please elaborate more on how you applied Cauchy-Schwarz here? Chris Galanis · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis It's a just applying Cauchy-Schwarz with \(a+bc,b+ac,c+ba\) and (1,1,1) then, taking square root on both sides. Svatejas Shivakumar · 8 months, 2 weeks ago

Problem 28

For the real numbers \(a, b, c, d\) prove that: \[-1\le \dfrac{ac+bd}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}\sqrt{c^2+d^2}} \le 1\] Chris Galanis · 8 months ago

@Chris Galanis For the right hand side note that for positive real numbers(or all negative) \((a^2 +b^2)(c^2+d^2)\geq (ac+bd)^2\) By C.S .

Now it suffices to consider the case when one of \(a,b,c,d\) are negative. If one of them is negative. WLOG assume \(a\) then let \(A=-a\). Thus \[(bd-Ac)^2\leq (bd+ac)^2 \leq (a^2+b^2)(c^2+d^2)\] equality holds when \(A=a=0\)

If any two of them are negative we have two cases .

WLOG assume \(a,b\). Then let \(A=-a\), \(B=-b\), \(\therefore (Ac+Bd)^2=(ac+bd)^2\) Otherwise assume both of \(a,c\) are negative.Then there multiple is positive and we are done.

The case when 3 are negative is equivalent to the case when one is negative. Sualeh Asif · 8 months ago

@Sualeh Asif Yet that is not a proof since \(a, b, c, d\) may not be positive Chris Galanis · 8 months ago

@Chris Galanis Of course completed the solution.

I tend to keep posting my progress because the mobile app gets stuck Sualeh Asif · 8 months ago

Problem 20

Let \(a\), \(b\) and \(c\) be positive reals such that \(abc=8\). Prove that

\[\dfrac {a^2}{\sqrt{(1+a^3)(1+b^3)}} + \dfrac {b^2}{\sqrt{(1+b^3)(1+c^3)}} + \dfrac {c^2}{\sqrt{(1+c^3)(1+a^3)}} \geq \dfrac {4}{3} .\] Sharky Kesa · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

@Sharky Kesa Solution of Problem 20

Note that \(\sqrt{1+k^3} = \sqrt{(1+k)(1-k+k^2)} \stackrel{AM-GM}{\leq} \frac{k^2-k+1+k+1}{2} = \frac{k^2+2}{2} \Leftrightarrow \frac{2}{k^2+2} \leq \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1+k^3)}} (*)\) Hence: \[\begin{equation} \begin{split} \displaystyle \sum_{cyc} \frac{a^2}{\sqrt{(1+a^3)(1+b^3)}} & \geq \frac{4}{3} \\ \stackrel{(*)}{\Rightarrow} \sum_{cyc} \frac{4a^2}{(a^2+2)(b^2+2)} & \geq \frac{4}{3} \\ \Rightarrow 3 \sum_{cyc} a^2(c^2+2) & \geq (a^2+2)(b^2+2)(c^2+2) \\ \Rightarrow \sum_{cyc} 2a^2+ \sum_{cyc} a^2b^2 & \geq 72 \end{split} \end{equation}\] Which is true by applying AM-GM in both sums separately. Hence proved. Chris Galanis · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Problem 19 :

Let \(x,y,z\) be positive real numbers.Prove that \[ \displaystyle \sum_{cyc} \dfrac{1}{x^{3} + y^{3} + xyz} \leq \dfrac{1}{xyz}\] Harsh Shrivastava · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Solution to Problem 19

Since this inequality is homogenous, WLOG \(xyz = 1\). We will prove that

\[\dfrac {1}{x^3+y^3+1} \leq \dfrac {z}{x+y+z}\]

\[(x^3+y^3)z+z \geq x+y+z\]

Note that \(x^3+y^3 = (x+y)(x^2-xy+y^2)\).

\[(x+y)(x^2-xy+y^2)z \geq x+y\]

\[(x^2 + y^2 - xy)z \geq 1\]

By AM-GM, \(x^2 + y^2 \geq 2xy\). Substituting, we get

\[(2xy-xy)z \geq 1\]

\[xyz \geq 1\]

Which is obviously true by our assumption. Thus, proven. The inequality in the question can be achieved by adding cyclicly.

We have already proven (with WLOG \(xyz=1\) because of the equation's homogeneity)

\[\dfrac {1}{x^3 + y^3 + 1} \leq \dfrac {z}{x+y+z}\]

This means that

\[\dfrac {1}{x^3 + y^3 + 1} + \dfrac {1}{y^3 + z^3 + 1} + \dfrac {1}{z^3 + x^3 + 1} \leq \dfrac {x+y+z}{x+y+z}\]

\[\displaystyle \sum_{\text{cyc}} \dfrac {1}{x^3 + y^3 + 1} \leq 1\]

Note that since \(xyz=1\), \(\dfrac {1}{xyz} = 1\). Thus,

\[\displaystyle \sum_{\text{cyc}} \dfrac {1}{x^3 + y^3 + xyz} \leq \dfrac {1}{xyz}\] Sharky Kesa · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

PROBLEM 18

For positive real numbers \(a,b,c\) with \(a+b+c=abc\), prove that \(\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+a^2}}+\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+b^2}}+\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{1+c^2}} \leq \dfrac{3}{2}\). Svatejas Shivakumar · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

@Svatejas Shivakumar Solution Of Problem 18 :

Substitute a= tanx , b= tany , c= tanz such that \( x+y+z= \pi\)

Since a,b,c are positive reals, x,y,z are all less than \( \frac{\pi}{2}\)

Now we want to prove that \( \cos x + \cos y + \cos z \leq 1.5\)

By Jensen's Inequality,

\[\cos \left(\dfrac{x+y+z}{3}\right)\ge \dfrac{\cos x+\cos y+\cos z}{3}\]

\( \implies \cos x + \cos y + \cos z \leq \dfrac{3}{2}\)

Note that \(f(p) = \cos p\) is concave down down for all \( 0 \leq p \leq \frac{\pi}{2} \).This can be checked by differentiating f(p) twice. Harsh Shrivastava · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Problem 17

For positive reals \(x\), \(y\) and \(z\) such that \(xyz=1\), prove that

\[\dfrac {1}{x^3(y+z)} + \dfrac {1}{y^3(z+x)} + \dfrac {1}{z^3 (x+y)} \geq \dfrac {3}{2}\] Sharky Kesa · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

@Sharky Kesa This is a very famous inequality that appeared in IMO in the late 90s I believe. My approach goes as follows.

SOLUTION OF PROBLEM 17

Dividing the numerator and denoninator by \(x^2,y^2\) and \(z^2\) respectively and applying Titu's Lemma we get \(\dfrac {1}{x^3(y+z)} + \dfrac{1}{y^3(z+x)}+\dfrac{1}{z^3 (x+y)} \geq \dfrac{(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{z})^2}{2(xy + yz+ zx)}=\dfrac{(xy+yz+zx)^2}{2(xy+yz+zx)}=\dfrac{xy+yz+zx}{2}\)

Now, by A.M-G.M inequality \(\dfrac{xy+yz+zx}{2} \geq 3 \cdot \dfrac{\sqrt[3]{(xyz)^2}}{2}=\dfrac{3}{2}\).

Equality holds if and only if \(x=y=z=1\). Hence proved. Svatejas Shivakumar · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Problem 9

Let \(x\), \(y\), \(z\) be reals such that \(xyz = -1\). Show that

\[x(x^3+3) + y(y^3+3) + z(z^3+3) \geq \dfrac {x^2}{y} + \dfrac {x^2}{z} + \dfrac {y^2}{x} + \dfrac {y^2}{z} + \dfrac {z^2}{x} + \dfrac {z^2}{y}\] Sharky Kesa · 9 months ago

@Sharky Kesa What a strange inequality.

Homogenizing and expanding reduces it to \[\sum_{sym}x^4+2\sum_{sym}x^3y\ge 3\sum_{sym} x^2yz\] which factors as \[\dfrac{1}{2}\sum_{sym}(x^2-y^2)^2+\sum_{sym}xy(x-y)^2+\dfrac{3}{2}\sum_{sym}x^2(y-z)^2\ge 0\] which is true. Daniel Liu · 9 months ago

@Sharky Kesa Applying Jensen's inequality in LHS we get \[\frac{f(x) + f(y) + f(z)}{3} \geq f\bigg(\frac{x+y+z}{3}\bigg) \\ \Rightarrow f(x) + f(y) + f(z) \geq 3\cdot \Bigg(\bigg(\frac{x+y+z}{3}\bigg)^4 + 3\cdot \bigg(\frac{x+y+z}{3}\bigg)\Bigg) \\ \Rightarrow \displaystyle \sum_{cyc} x(x^3+3) \geq \frac{(x+y+z)^4}{27} + 3(x+y+z) \] for \(f(x) = x(x^3 +3) = x^4 + 3x\) which is convex as its graph is U-shaped

Now I think what is left to prove is that: \[\frac{(x+y+z)^4}{27} + 3(x+y+z) \geq \frac{x^2}{y} +\frac{x^2}{z} +\frac{y^2}{x} +\frac{y^2}{z} +\frac{z^2}{x} +\frac{z^2}{y} \] But I don't know how to go on. Am I correct this far? Chris Galanis · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis Yeah I think so Lakshya Sinha · 8 months, 4 weeks ago

PROBLEM 4

For positive real numbers \(a,b,c\) prove that \(\dfrac{a}{2a+b}+\dfrac{b}{2b+c}+\dfrac{c}{2c+a} \le 1\) Svatejas Shivakumar · 9 months ago

@Svatejas Shivakumar I have a long way of doing this (Long because I expanded).

\[\dfrac {a}{2a+b} + \dfrac {b}{2b+c} + \dfrac {c}{2c+a} \leq 1\]

\[a(2b+c)(2c+a) + b(2a+b)(2c+a)+c(2a+b)(2b+c) \leq (2a+b)(2b+c)(2c+a)\]

\[12abc+4a^2b+4b^2c+4c^2a+ab^2+bc^2+ca^2 \leq 9abc+4a^2b+4b^2c+4c^2a+2ab^2+2bc^2+2ca^2\]

\[3abc \leq ab^2+bc^2+ca^2\]

The last statement is obviously true by AM-GM. Thus, proven. Sharky Kesa · 9 months ago

Problem 21

If for the real numbers \(a, b, c\) where \(bc \neq 0\) is true that \(\frac{1-c^2}{bc} \geq 0\), prove that: \[10(a^2+b^2+c^2-bc^3) \geq 2ab + 5ac\] Chris Galanis · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis If \(|c| \ge 1\) and \(\text{sgn}(b) = -\text{sgn}(c)\), then the inequality is \[10(a^2+b^2+c^2-bc^3)\ge 10(a^2+b^2+c^2)\ge 2ab+5ac\]\[\iff (a-b)^2+\dfrac{5}{2}(a-c)^2+\dfrac{13}{2}a^2+9b^2+\dfrac{15}{2}c^2\ge 0\] solved.

If \(|c| \le 1\) and \(\text{sgn}(b) = \text{sgn}(c)\), then the inequality is \[10(a^2+b^2+c^2-bc^3)\ge 10(a^2+b^2+c^2-bc)\ge 2ab+5ac\]\[\iff (a-b)^2+\dfrac{5}{2}(a-c)^2+5(b-c)^2+\dfrac{13}{2}a^2+4b^2+\dfrac{5}{2}c^2\ge 0\] done.

Not a very strong inequality; no equality case in fact. Daniel Liu · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Chris Galanis Can this problem be done without calculus? I have no idea how to proceed with this problem. Svatejas Shivakumar · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

@Svatejas Shivakumar Me and Sharky were discussing about it and it showed this can be nearly solved using \(x^2 \ge 0, x\in \mathbb{R}\). Lakshya Sinha · 8 months, 3 weeks ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...