Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Behavior of Increment Operators

Please guide me what'll be output of the following code segment in c++ if 'a' is initialized at 7.

cout<<a++<<a<<++a; 

Moderator's Note: This kind of questions actually have no answer. Here’s why. In practice, avoid them

Note by Anweshan Bor
6 months, 4 weeks ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

Actually, coding like this is ambiguous and considered a bad idea Agnishom Chattopadhyay · 6 months, 4 weeks ago

@Agnishom Chattopadhyay Yes totally agreed. Neelesh Vij · 6 months, 4 weeks ago

@Neelesh Vij Answers explaining why this is not a good idea Quora and StackOverflow

@anweshan bor Agnishom Chattopadhyay · 6 months, 4 weeks ago

The output should be \( 7 \quad 8 \quad 9\)

When you use a++ operator it first prints the value of a then increments its value. so first the value of \(a = 7\) gets printed then its value gets incremented to \(8\). After this when you use the ++a operator, it first increments the value of \(a\) then prints it so first the value to a is increased to 9 then it is printed.

In short the post increment operator (a++) increments the value of a after the command given to it while the pre increment operator (++a) first increments the value of a then it is used in the command given to it.

Hope it helps :) Neelesh Vij · 6 months, 4 weeks ago

@Neelesh Vij I too thought of the same output but my compiler gave it out as '888'. Well, thank you for the views. Anweshan Bor · 6 months, 4 weeks ago

@Anweshan Bor Cascading cout statements are initialized from right to left. Though as Agnishom mentioned, this isn't a good idea, such questions commonly come for Viva. Vishnu Bhagyanath · 6 months, 3 weeks ago

@Vishnu Bhagyanath Well, it's worse than a bad idea. It is undefined.

Now that I am an ex-student, I should probably drop an email to our CS teacher. Agnishom Chattopadhyay · 6 months, 3 weeks ago

@Agnishom Chattopadhyay Please cc to all Indian CS teachers. Pranjal Jain · 3 months, 3 weeks ago

@Pranjal Jain Haha Agnishom Chattopadhyay · 3 months, 3 weeks ago

@Agnishom Chattopadhyay I asked this from my CS teacher and she said that the output depended on which compiler we are using. Different compilers could give different output. Is it so?? Anweshan Bor · 6 months, 3 weeks ago

@Anweshan Bor Read up on the link Agnishom posted Vishnu Bhagyanath · 6 months, 3 weeks ago

@Vishnu Bhagyanath Actually the cascading took place from right to left as after postfix(++a) .It becomes the last updated value i.e 8 . So compiler starts reading the output from right to left. Tivansh Verma · 6 months, 3 weeks ago

The answer is : 7 8 8 Rashi Kashyap · 6 months, 2 weeks ago

The answer is 888.. Bcoz cout has a right to left associativity... So the answer mostly depends on compailer...in right to left associative answer is 888... Who Am I · 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Answer will be 888. Tivansh Verma · 6 months, 3 weeks ago

@Tivansh Verma You completely ignored what I said. Agnishom Chattopadhyay · 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...