Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Geometry

Let \(X\) be the midpoint of the side \( AB\) of triangle \(ABC\). Let \(Y\) be the midpoint of \(CX\). Let \(BY\) cut \(AC\) at \(Z\). Prove that \(AZ=2ZC\).

Note by Subham Subian
5 months, 1 week ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

We don't have to use cyclic properties.We extend the line \(AY\) to meet \(BC\) at \(K.\)We apply Menelaus theorem for \(\triangle BCX\) where \(AK\) is the transverse.So we get \(\dfrac{BA}{AX}\times\dfrac{XY}{YC}\times\dfrac{KC}{KB}=-1.\)Since \(BA\) is twice of \(AX\) and \(XY=YC.\)We get \(\dfrac{KC}{KB}=\dfrac{1}{2}.\)We don't have care about the minus sign as it only to show \(A\) does not lie between \(BX.\)Next we apply Ceva's theorem for \(\triangle ABC.\)We get \(\dfrac{AX}{BX}\times\dfrac{BK}{KC}\times\dfrac{ZC}{AZ}=1.\)We know that \(AX=BX\) and \(BK=2KC.\)So we get \(\dfrac{ZC}{AZ}=\dfrac{1}{2}.\)Therefore,\(\boxed{AZ=2ZC}.\)Hence proved. Ayush Rai · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Ayush Rai Why go for Menelaus when Thales' can do ? Rohit Camfar · 5 months ago

Rohit Camfar · 5 months ago

@Rohit Camfar This question can easily be solved using midpoint theorem and similarity rules as above. Vishwash Kumar · 5 months ago

Proof:
Note that \(ar(AXY)=ar (BXY)=ar(BYC)=ar(AYC)=\frac{ar(ABC)}{4}\)
Since, median divides a triangle into 2 parts of equal areas.

Next, put AZ=\(x\) and ZC=\(y\)
Now,
\(\frac {x}{x+y} * ar (ABC) = ar(ABZ)
\(\implies \frac {x}{x+y}* ar (ABC) = \frac{ar (ABC)}{2} + ar (CYA)\)
\(\implies \frac {x}{x+y} * ar (ABC) = \frac {ar (ABC}{2} + \frac{x}{x+y} * \frac {ar (ABC)}{4}\)
\(\implies \frac {x}{x+y}[ ar(ABC) - ar (CYA)] = ar(ABC)* \frac {1}{2} \)
\(\implies \frac {x}{x+y}[\frac {3}{4} * ar (CYAB) = \frac{ar (ABC)}{2}\)
\(\implies \frac {x}{x+y} * [\frac {3}{4}* ar (ABC)\)
\(\implies \frac {x}{x+y} = \frac {2}{3} \)
\(\implies x= 2y\)
Hence, proved. Yatin Khanna · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Yatin Khanna There is no 3/4 in 4th last line. Yatin Khanna · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Yatin Khanna Its not z, its x, unable to edit.
And forgive me for the brackets not being closed and other mistakes that I am unable to edit. Yatin Khanna · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Yatin Khanna I was unable to solve it using my limited knowledge of cyclic quads. Yatin Khanna · 5 months, 1 week ago

Seriously, BC cut AC at Z; wont that make Z coincide with C and consequently CZ will be 0. Yatin Khanna · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Yatin Khanna and can use properties of cyclic quadrilaterals beacause my teacher said that it can be solve by using the properties of cyclic quadrilaterals Subham Subian · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Yatin Khanna sorry my bad .i corrected it plss try to solve it and give mme the solution i will be gratefull Subham Subian · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Subham Subian you can use the cevas theorem and the menuluas theorem to prove this Abhishek Alva · 5 months, 1 week ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...