Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Half Tau Day is Fast Approaching!

Hello all! I hope you're all gearing up for \(\frac{\tau}{2} = \pi \) day! I am a giant proponent of \(\tau\), and you should be too. For those of you who don't know, \(\tau = 2\pi\). \(\tau\) is a much more natural circle constant, as a circle is, after all, defined by its radius, not its diameter. One can find an incredibly compelling argument for \(\tau\) in Michael Hartl's Tau Manifesto. I know I'll be spending Half Tau Day unwillingly participating in \(\pi\) activities with my blissfully ignorant peers, who I will inevitably urge to join Brilliant and educate themselves about the marvels of \(\tau\)!

Have a safe and happy \(\frac{\tau}{2}\) day!

Note by Ryan Tamburrino
1 year, 8 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Sort by:

Top Newest

To be honest they are equally valid, as \(\pi\) is better in some situations and \(\tau\) is better in others. For example: circumference = \(\tau\)r may be easier to deal but then you end up with an area of: \(\frac{\tau}{2}\)\(r^{2}\). You may also look at it from a trigonometry point of view... all the trigonometric functions repeat themselves every \(\tau\) radians, but then when proving that \(\zeta\)(2) = \(\frac{\pi^2}{6}\) you need \(\pi\)to obtain: \[\frac{sin(x)}{x} = \displaystyle\prod_{n=1}^{\infty} (1-(\frac{n\pi }{x})^2) \] and the argument continues.... Curtis Clement · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Curtis Clement I will concede a few small victories to \(\pi\), including that one that you mentioned regarding the \(\zeta\) function. However, if you look at the Tau Manifesto, Hartl shows that area of a circle with \(\tau\) follows other quadratic forms of other formulas from physics. So, that \(\frac{1}{2}\) out in front isn't quite as unnatural as it seems. Ryan Tamburrino · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Ryan Tamburrino Maybe there ought to be a friendly Tau vs pi debate Curtis Clement · 1 year, 8 months ago

I feel stupid for asking this but isn't \( \pi \) day on \(14 \) March? Siddhartha Srivastava · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Siddhartha Srivastava Yeah! This \(\pi\) day is special though, because it will be (in the American format of month/day/year) \(3/14/15\). \(\tau\) will have its revenge on \(6/28/31\)! Ryan Tamburrino · 1 year, 8 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...