Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

I am confused

\(\frac{1}{0}\)=\(∞\)

My teacher says this is undefined, while my calculator says this is true. Is this true or false?

Note by Alex Wang
2 months, 1 week ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

Any number divided by zero is undefined. Monishwaran Maheswaran · 2 months, 1 week ago

You first need to know that infinity is not a number. It doesn't follow simple algebra. Infinity is largest term that we cannot approach. Infinity depends on one's point of view to define. Dev Rajyaguru · 2 months ago

Your calculator will simply say whatever the programmers of said calculator told it to say for division by 0. Mathematically speaking though, division by 0 is undefined. M K · 2 months, 1 week ago

@M K Then why does the limit of 1/x as x approaches 0 approach \(∞\)? Alex Wang · 2 months, 1 week ago

@Alex Wang The limit of 1/x does indeed approach ∞ as x approaches 0+. (0+ meaning the positive side of the x-axis). That being said, it also has another limit: -∞, as x approaches 0-. (0- meaning from the negative side of the x-axis). This means that there are two limits of the function 1/x, and on extension, 1/0. Both ∞, and -∞. Since there is no single limit, it is undefined. M K · 2 months, 1 week ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...