Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

I need to find 1 dollar.

You need new shoes but you do not have money.

And you borrow to 2 of your friends each 50 $.

When you want to buy shoes, shoes price was only 97$. you restore each 1$ to your friends and the remaining $ 1 you buy a drink.

so, the rest of your debt to your friends remaining 49$.

if 49 + 49 = 98 (because you have to restore 1$) so, if coupled with the money that you traded for a drink only 1$. mean 98 + 1 = 99. where 1$ is?

Note by Sultan Fatahillah
1 year, 6 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Sort by:

Top Newest

I am almost certain there is a break in the logic in the very last sentence. The logic just doesn't add up; one would be coupling money in two different states -that which is 'owed' and that which is 'spent'. So the last interrogative sentence(which really sounds like a paradox, but is really a misleading false statement) should really be- "... so, if coupled with the money traded for a drink which is 1$ this will mean 98$ - 1$ = 97$, so what is the problem?"

97$ really is the money which I (according to the question) spent on the pair of shoes. (Note:Since the two values for the money are both in different states, if we take the value of the money owed as positive, then we must take the value of the money spent as negative).

If I may be allowed to elaborate:-(Eq:I) money borrowed + money returned = Amount owed [100-2=98]
  and,(Eq:II) Amount owed = Money I spent on shoes + Money I spent buying myself a drink[98=97+1]

The question posed is a variation of (Eq:II) and therefore must be:- Amount owed - Money spent on the drink = Money spent on the shoes. Thus algebraic equilibrium holds and this means that there is no break in this logic. (For all purposes of this post - the drink was bottled water) Judah Pereira · 1 year, 6 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...