KVPY 2016 interview

First of all congrats to all those who have been selected for the interview.Its indeed a great achievement as lot many appear in this prestigious exam .So we have abt 1-2 months left for the interview.So you guys can give suggestions on the interview like which subject to choose,questions related to that etc.I welcome suggestions from you all.From my school we have got 46 selections in which 32 are from SA and rest from sx.

Note by Spandan Senapati
2 years, 10 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

So the kvpy interview is over.I am gonna share my experience.For me it was scheduled to be held at 9:00 am in NISER,Bhubaneswar. I reached there by 8:15.quite a far place.abt 22km from Bhubaneswar.It was adjacent to IIT,Bbsr.My interview started at 9:45 am after the completion of 2 students.The first one is a friend of mine(I don't know him much) who said after his that the interview board is quite friendly.that seemed a good gesture.So when I entered I just introduced my self,what I liked to do.etc.They asked what I had for breakfast and it was maggi for me.so they readily asked(chem) what chemical led to the controversy in maggi case.I didn't know.but anyways the person had himself told that this is not related to interview.so now of started.my topic was wave-particle duality,photoelectric effect and modern phy....somi was asked to explain photoelectric effect.on board which I did.then the physics prof asked me to split the work function into constituents.I did that it was binding energy+energy to remove that from the influence of all other interacting forces.then the mam asked on wave prop.then maths.I knew him as he is the director of institute of maths(where I had attended inmotcs in class 10,11)even he had felicitated me this yr for being 3rd in state in rmo.so he asked to prove that sum(j^99)j=1,2,3,4,5.was divisible by 5.I did that quite easily and could even generalise the case although it wasn't asked.the interview board seemed quite happy.I proceeded to factorise and proof the generalisation. And he didn't allow me to complete as he saw the first few steps and said "oh come on you can do after this quite easy" then something on relations.which I replied that I have not studied.and he said that it wasn't a big thing.I could do it anytime.then I was asked some conversions in organic although I didn't know them he didn't tell much and asked what I will do in future I said that I will do research (in mathematical aspect of physics) and they seemed quite impressed.and the next was a staple q(do you really want to join jee or do research)I genuinely replied research(as that's what I really wanna do).it came to an end and theybjust asked if I wanted anything to get clarified. I just asked what I can do to promote my interest as a student.The chem one replied that I was doing really well and I will do so.that made me feel quite ecstatic.and that was the end.later the director of niser(perhaps)wanted to meet my father.as he seemed to be quite happy with my perforomance.Later I went to canteen(some drinks)and returned.Believe me it was very big and great campus.and on way I even went to IIT bbsr.it is still under construction.nothing much but the field there is quite big.and it will look beautiful after some years.

Spandan Senapati - 2 years, 8 months ago

Your interview went quite well plus aptitude marks = top 10 for you.

Congrats!

Harsh Shrivastava - 2 years, 8 months ago

No chance of top 10.I know a guy paean who is scoring as high in 90.and mine is 73.so its quite tough.but I expect a rank of within 100.BTW what's the highest in kvpy from yours state.I don't know sarthaks but his is mostly in 78-80.

@Spandan Senapati 68-70 Nimay Gupta

@Harsh Shrivastava Ohk.

@Spandan Senapati Well according to your interview experience . you will easily get 80+ or even 90.

According to that if you equalise last year your rank will be in the range 25-50 (considering difficulty the same as last year).

I Got about 70 in test and 81 in interview ended with 59 .

My friend got 73 in test and 75 in interview ended with around 50.

Prakhar Bindal - 2 years, 8 months ago

@Spandan Senapati Yeah top 10 is really difficult . one of my friend got 86 in test and 64 in interview lasty year to get air 14

Any idea about what he told your father?

Swapnil Das - 2 years, 7 months ago

No nothing much he asked me where is your father.I just introduced him.And he told something which I didn't hear awe stood a bit away from him...He seemed to be a good person.

Spandan Senapati - 2 years, 7 months ago

@Spandan Senapati Can you please help me? A particle of mass 'm' moves under a force given by F= -kx^n.Find time period of oscillations if spring constant is k. Here n is any odd integer.

A Former Brilliant Member - 2 years, 7 months ago

@A Former Brilliant Member Ha Ha it reminds me of my friend's interview last year . he was asked the time period for F = -kx^3 . IDK But the professor told him F = -Kx where K = kx^2

Hence time period = 2pi*sqrt(m/kx^2) i know its not logical at all but one of professors of the panel told my friend this :P :P

Prakhar Bindal - 2 years, 7 months ago

@Prakhar Bindal Did they tell the actual answer ?

@A Former Brilliant Member Ya its of the form 8x(o)^((1-n)/2)/w(n+1)int(sin@^\((2/n+1)d@)).with @ varying from 0π/20-π/2 and w2=2k/m(n+1)w^2=2k/m(n+1) Here the numbers 2/n+1)2/n+1)accompanying sin@sin@ is the power that sin has been rairaised to.and the no1n/21-n/2accompanying the x(o)term is a power .

@Spandan Senapati Why will it not depend on amplitude?

Harsh Shrivastava - 2 years, 7 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya it will intact the amplitude is the x(o)term.Hey try putting .sin@=e(iy)e(iy)/2i..sin@=e^(iy)-e^(-iy)/2i.Most probably the binomially expanding yieldmsome thing but then that's not in closed form. No don't work it becomes tedious.

@Harsh Shrivastava OK so it has a value of (√π)/2T\((n+3)/2(n+1)/T(n+2)/(n+1)T(n+2)/(n+1)). T is the gamma function

@Spandan Senapati How did you do it?I tried doing it with normal integration and things are getting very tedious?

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya substituted=x(o)(sin@)^(2/n+1).Although I don't know whether its closed form exists of the integral.But next let me Think

@Spandan Senapati Well this kind of problem has been asked in jee but was somewhat easier . If i can reckon correctly it had something proportionality constant (alpha)

@Prakhar Bindal Yup the problem mentioned smthing additional like small amplitude,i also remeber.

@Harsh Shrivastava Well i did SHM arhive in september 2015 but i marked that question coz i was not able to do that at first shot thats why i remember otherwise there are 100's of problems in archive

@Prakhar Bindal I found this question in some PDF related to SHM.

@Spandan Senapati How did you solve it?

@Spandan Senapati Yup closed form does exist use beta function and then gamma function done.

@Harsh Shrivastava Well that's not in scope of JEE Atleast although i love gamma and beta functions.

@A E Can you share pdf?

@Prakhar Bindal But many trignometric integrals as well as integrals of the form (x)^a(1-x)^b can be solved under 1 minutes (and it has appeared as a previous jee question where normal method was very long).

Thus it is worth learning even from jee point of view i guess.

@Harsh Shrivastava I learnt it coz i loved integrals when it was taught to us! and yeah that helped only in AITS :p

@Prakhar Bindal Did you had any backlogs at the end of class 11?

@Harsh Shrivastava Yep many i had . one of my backlog is still there which i haven't overcame FLUID MECHANICS . In chemistry i mostly didn't got Organic of 11th which i improved in 12th . in maths combinatorics troubled me and it still sometimes coz its a kind of topic which you cant master completely .

@Prakhar Bindal I don't have it now,but it was in some PDF related to MIT's open course ware.Try googling it,I suppose its still on their site.

@Harsh Shrivastava So what did you get I don't know beta functions much.

r

@Spandan Senapati I have not solved it till end.You may directly use beta function's defination to evaluate that integral.Just look up on brilliant wikis.

@Spandan Senapati What's m here?

Best of luck @Harsh Shrivastava.for your interview tomorrow.do share your experience tomorrow.just stay calm and give your best.you gonna rock it☺☺

Spandan Senapati - 2 years, 9 months ago

Thnx!

Wish you all a prosperous holi! :)

Yup same to you..........

Same 2 u bro .....

sanyam goel - 2 years, 7 months ago

Happy holi to all 😀

Be confident , there main target is to check your confidence , they will try to just confuse you in your concepts itself and they will question you continuously , you just need to answer them with full confidence and correctness . And never answer those q which you don't know as wrong answers are not encouraged there and be upto the point , don't add extra waste things to your answer .

Aniket Sanghi - 2 years, 10 months ago

Thanx for your suggestions.will they be asking questions from all the 4 subjects.

Spandan Senapati - 2 years, 10 months ago

Depends , for me , they ask my favourite subject (Physics ) and then they asked for maths also .

@Aniket Sanghi What was your stage 1 marks?.does it any way matter in stage 2??

@Spandan Senapati My score was low due to Bio, it was 66.5 , however in second stage they dont ask your scores , they are not interested in that.

@Aniket Sanghi my score in bio is just 11.total 72.75.did you chose any special topic of interest for it??and tell me how did you prepare?we have got mock interviews organised by our school.And they call scientists for that even.so even those who qualify the first stage by a small margin perform well in interview.any way I am also planning to go with phy.

@Spandan Senapati Your score in 1st stage matters for selection , in second stage its obvious that u will get good score , I didnt do anything special for interview , just searched net for other people experiance.

My score in Bio was just around 6 :P

@Spandan Senapati 11 is big no in bio my score was 0.75😂

aryan goyat - 2 years, 8 months ago

will bio question would be asked to a pcm student

Piyush Kumar Behera - 2 years, 10 months ago

I can't really gurantee that , but according to me they won't do such things . They understand the problem of students .

Yup all the best @Harsh Shrivastava

I Will give just one advice. clearly say if you dont know an answer . dont blindly guess . stay calm, cool take your time to think upon the problem. you will rock it

Prakhar Bindal - 2 years, 9 months ago

Thnx!

in my school only 3 people have been selected 1 sa and 2 in sx

Aniswar S K - 2 years, 8 months ago

mine is 14.

Hey looks like you qualified nsec.from your discussion.this is indeed a grt achievement considering the fact that you are in 11.which state and about your kvpy(when is it)

Mine is 14/2 =7th rank

@Aniket Sanghi @Prakhar Bindal

How is class 12th jee preparation is it more difficult than class 11th?

My class 11 is about to end.

Nothing is difficult in this whole world ... stop thinking about that and let the studies keep going...

Aniket Sanghi - 2 years, 8 months ago

I Would not say difficult (class 12) just its a bit bigger than class 11 in terms of syllabus . but class 12 mostly has 55-60% weightage in JEE So you can understand its importance.

@Harsh Shrivastava.can you share with me some questions that theyasked you in your interview.

I was the last one to be interviewed so they asked me easy questions.

First they asked me C1+C2+C3+C4+....Cn prove this in two ways.

Then they asked a multinomial type question .

Then an easy physics question was asked.

Then some easy electrophilic addition question was asked.

That's all.Best of luck!

How was aiits? @Spandan Senapati @A E @Aniswar S K

I committed so many silly mistakes! :( Dont know when will i stop it :(

Srsly i dont know why i commit so many mistakes :(

My score=20+27+48(cmp)

We have a screwed up schedule here.I told you.Here they conduct exams from 6-9pm and they don't put the answer keys even.How did you get the answer keys......I will be telling tomorrow.

6-9 pm!!

Overall howasit?

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya it went nice.In Physics I think one and didn't match.That rolling one It must be (8/35)v/ug(8/35)v/ug.

@Spandan Senapati I think answer is matching, coming out to be 3/7 v/ug many of my fnds also got 3.

@Harsh Shrivastava Well the friction will change its direction may be I did some calc mistake but its like this initially it acts backward so time taken for w to become zero=(v/2R)*(2/5MR^2)/fR.=v/5ug.and for v to become zero its v/ug.So w becomes zero first then v=4v/5at that instant.Next friction supports rotation and opposes translation so 4v/5-ft/M=5ft/2M(t=8/35)OK then we needed to add with the initial.so that t=3/7..Oh I missed that......Got it thanks.

@Harsh Shrivastava Maths was good.Chem seemed easy this time.Let's hope for best.Chill bro.I have exam tomorrow(chem practical)and I have bunked almost class(or absent).So I don't know even how do a simple salt analysis....(☺☺)And although I had done some in preparing for OCSc last yr I don't remember any.......

@Spandan Senapati Hey spandan, one doubt in the question posted by aniswar , I solved it by iaor method.But then I tried solving by force torque method that is by drawing individual fbds but could not solve it.My doubt is what forces will act on the particle from ground frame?

@Harsh Shrivastava Weight of the particle,contact forces by the rim..........But we need to analyse what sorts of acceleration it has.

@Spandan Senapati I was doing a calc mistake, got my mistake, and yeah result is same in both cases ☺

@Harsh Shrivastava Good....Were any answers wrong in phy and maths....Were did you get the keys from

@Spandan Senapati My center gave us key and some are wrong.I am posting solution to aniswars problem, do verify it.

Ya.I checked the key it's so incorrect....Maths in a matrix I got-4(Hyperbola)The physics is wrong as well.Esp the first 2 questions.....(Now as per the incorrect key I got (33+25+57).Don't know but in maths the coefficient of(term independent of x is given wrong)...And they also gave that meso compound one wrong.Seriously I hate fiitjee exams for their incorrect answer keys.....

Yeah m,any are wrong i dont know why but in every exam it occurs :\

@Harsh Shrivastava And the SHM was wrong as well energy will change as they stick...And time period and amplitude will change as well.......Careless people.Allen in this regard is grt.I have given n their xms twice and never was there a single wrong and.

@Spandan Senapati Why shud enrgy change?Also why shud even time period change?

See archive page number-65 jee advanced 2016 multi choice question 1 for a similar question.

@Spandan Senapati Allen isn't great in this regard :

rahul pramanik - 1 year, 3 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Oh yes you are right.I thought the ball was dropped when the other was at mean position.Rather its given that its the extreme........silly me.:)

@Spandan Senapati Lol many of these kinds of mistakes are committed by me also.We must stop making these mistakes!

@Spandan Senapati - Yah i got it now. First i considered even atmospheric pressure thats why i got some extra variables. Thanks.

Aniswar S K - 2 years, 7 months ago

@Spandan Senapati -- in that 65th question how to relate the rate of increase of temperature and speed of piston?? i tried something like PdV + VdP = nRdT. dV=Adx & dP=kdx/A since P=kx/A. and then divide both sides by dt. but then i am not getting that 3/8 in the answer.

For 64 make use of the fact that the max theoretical increment in temperature accounts for the increase in internal energy =Increment in potential energy so nCv(TTo)=MghnCv(T-To)=Mgh and nRTo=(p+p)VnRTo=(p+∆p)V.It's a valid supposition that initially the Tempnof the air inside is ToTo

Hey there is a thing that the piston is nt massless so Weca t equate the forces perhaps.

@Spandan Senapati, @Harsh Shrivastava, @A E try this https://brilliant.org/problems/down-she-goes/

I am getting a non integral answer, I used energy conservation and the fact that since string is inextensible,velocity along them would reduce to zero though I may be wrong.

I haven't tried it but is the bead fixed.Or the situation is just like a catenary.(chain hanging between 2 walls)

And I guess we are gonna receive the Kvpy results soon.Let's hope for the best.Lastyr it was declared on 22nd.March

@Spandan Senapati Why are you worrying? You will get through easily ☺

I am doubtful about mine.

@Harsh Shrivastava Arey don't worry .You will get through as well...You qualified NTSE stage 2 as well I guess

I also wrote momentum impulse equations.

@shubham dhull

bhai ye dekh

https://www.change.org/p/cbse-do-lenient-in-cbse-physics-exam-2017-for-class-xii

Itna mushkil to nhi tha paper?

ghanta mushkil tha :P agar 5-6 number grace de di to mere to 100 paar jayenge number :P balki set-3 tha sabse mushkil maine saare set dekhe the haina bhai ? tere kitne aajenge btade bhai plz ?

now i'm feeling bad about bragging too much without even knowing my real marks , just hope i get what i want btw math mein fatti padi hai bhai help @Prakhar Bindal

@Spandan Senapati @Harsh Shrivastava @A E Sorry to Disturb

For us Differential Calculus got over.

Have you got any source for challenging problems??

I searched brilliant and mostly found integration problems!

Aniswar S K - 2 years, 5 months ago

For us definite integration is over.So I solve integration ones from Ronak aggarwals feed.Differential calculus I too want some good source.I think harsh can help us better.some questions from ronaks feed are quite tough.do try them.

Spandan Senapati - 2 years, 5 months ago

Sure. Lets see what harsh has got to say!

For us even function is not over!!!!

BTW I guess there is an acute shortage of diferrential calculus problems !

Harsh Shrivastava - 2 years, 5 months ago

@Spandan Senapati @Harsh Shrivastava A question!

A parallel plate capacitor is completely filled with a dielectric sheet of thickness d and relative permittivity k is placed on a horizontal tabletop. The lower plate is glued with the tabletop and the dielectric slab is glued with the lower plate. The plates are square of edge length l and mass of the upper plate is m. The plates are given a charge +q and -q, then the upper plate is shifted horizontally by a small distance x along one of its edges and set free. Find the period of oscillation of this plate. Thickness d of the dielectric is much smaller than the edge length l.

Thanks let me try.

Us the answer..T=2πL/Q(2mϵkd)(0.5).T=2\pi L/Q(2m\epsilon kd) ^(0.5).I solved using energy conservation as there would be fringing fields here and directly calculation of the force may be difficult....

In the answer there is a factor of 8. I don't know how they got it. T=(8l/q)(e0kmlx/d)0.5 and pi is not there!!

Aniswar S K - 2 years, 4 months ago

@Aniswar S K Yes I know it's not gonna be a shy. It's gonna be a periodic motion with probably constant acceleration(I think) I will retry it.i didn't notice that the width of the dielectric is quite less. That's the error.

Spandan Senapati - 2 years, 4 months ago

Try this way let an external agent displace the upper plate by a distance X then W(agent)+W(capacitor)=0W(agent) +W(capacitor) =0 .Since for an isolated system in the absence of dissipation forces the energy remains conserved. Now since electric force is conservative W(capacitor)=dUW(capacitor) =-dU Where the second term represents the change in potential energy. Since no external potential is appliedU=Q2/2C U=Q^2/2C.Now when we displace the plates by xx say then U=L2ϵ/d2+x2 U=L^2\epsilon /\sqrt d^2+x^2.Now put that in the equation F=dU/dxF=dU/dx. and terms of the order x2x^2 can be neglected. This gives F=ψxF=\psi x. But we don't have any agent performing so the force applied by other charges on this is f=Ff=-F. So the plate exhibits SHM.Find T=2π/ωT=2\pi /\omega

I am sorry. It's incorrect. Didn't notice that the dielectric has thickness much smaller than the edge length....

It would be better with a diagram. But I don't see what thickness means here. Anyways we begin by noticing that when the plates of a capacitor are displaced then the capacitance of the system is given by Aϵ/d.A\epsilon/d.where AA is the projected common area.So Here A=L(Lx)A=L(L-x) . Now C=kL(Lx)/dC=kL(L-x) /d. Force by the other charges on this plate is F=dU/dx F=-dU/dx. U=Q2/2CU=Q^2/2C.Note that the charge remains the same but σ\sigma changes..Using this you get ma=kQ2d/2mϵL3.ma=-kQ^2d/2m\epsilon L^3. Now that we have acceleration as negative means it's gonna come back to its natural position, overshoot and head to an amplitude, return back. So t=4(2x/a)t=4\sqrt (2x/a) The constant 44 for in one complete cycle it covers4x 4x distance.So this yieldst=8L/Q(mkϵLx/d) t=8L/Q\sqrt (mk\epsilon Lx/d) .I used d as the distance between the plates. God knows how it's the thickness. Lol. Got It? And the thing wrong in the previous solution was the expression for capacitance...

Nice one!!

This means we must not expect everything to be shm!!

And to the other question(on pressure) that you had posted I got V2=αb/(k21)V^2=\alpha b/(k^2-1).If the dielectric slab completely fills the space then studying the distribution of charges the net field at position ofa face of e dielectric is σ/2ϵ(1+1/k)\sigma /2\epsilon (1+1/k).The charge on the face is σ(11/k)\sigma (1-1/k)(on!y magnitude).Thus thethe pressure is b=σ2/2ϵ(11/k2)b=\sigma^2 /2\epsilon (1-1/k^2)(for the limiting case).Again σ=CV/A=kϵV/d\sigma =CV/A=k\epsilon V/d.Plugging in the prev exp gives b=V2ϵ/2d(k21)b=V^2\epsilon /2d(k^2-1)Thus V2=αb/(k21)V^2=\alpha b/(k^2-1).....Although I think if not completely filled then the dependence will be on C specifically(and thus t,kt,k

I took the field to be sigma/k. But we must consider the field due to other charges excluding the charge layer itself

@Aniswar S K Yes...I hope you got it

I have a nice question in physics. Will post it soon.Do try.

All the past qualifiers/having experience of interview are requested to comment on this forum.@Prakhar Bindal,@Aniket Sanghi and all.

Which topic will you chose in physics?

I guess I would chose maths and sub topic integration.

Harsh Shrivastava - 2 years, 10 months ago

I will most probably go with black holes or relativity.I need to discuss with my teacher.

Will they ask from our favorite topic?

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya they mainly polarise on your fav topic.but there are even chances that they will ask from all the sub.like for a pcm student they can ask bio even but of a low level.

@Spandan Senapati I am not doing any special preparation for it.

Just revising definitions.

Wbu?

Harsh Shrivastava - 2 years, 9 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Oh my school is providing us excellent facilities like interactive sessions,interview by professors,school teachers etc.those are very helpful.the interview official by iisc have started from today.is nt resonance organising interview sessions in your state??

@Spandan Senapati No.Best of luck for interview!

BTW do you know abt a full open test of Fiitjee scheduled at 12th Feb.Its like AITS.

@Harsh Shrivastava Its peanuts in front of AITS. The paper is Hell simple!. Last year the top scorer got more than 95% in mains .

The advanced paper is also just too simple.

@Prakhar Bindal Is that guy kushagra juneja???

@Spandan Senapati Nope . he doesn't give much fiitjee tests as my friend tells me who studies at fiitjee punjabi bagh .

I Got AIR 2 In AITS Open test advanced with a score of 411/504 missing the 1st rank by 1 mark (topper scored 412) :P . sorry if i have boasted myself :P

@Prakhar Bindal Only few get to the level so high so that they can boast :)

@Prakhar Bindal Grt!!!performance..I don't call this as boasting.you just said your rank.

@Prakhar Bindal how is paper ,very tough?

A Former Brilliant Member - 2 years, 9 months ago

@A Former Brilliant Member The paper is very easy . Mathematics was just too simple . On checking last year's paper i found that i score 76/80 in math paper 2 and 81/88 in paper 1 .

Chem was as usual bad in paper 1 involving some pretty bad inorganic chemistry . as a result i got 62 in paper 1 .

Physics was quite easy . the reason for my not so good in physics (66 in paper 2 and 68 in paper 1 ) was that i hadn't done fluids at that point coz i missed classes of surface tension. so i left 2 problems in paper 2 and one in paper 1 of it .

@Prakhar Bindal Thanks,and AIR 2 is just awesome,you are truly an inspiration.

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya I have heard abt it.and fiitjee also has iit genius exam on 5th Feb.that looks good.I think I will appear.wbu??

@Spandan Senapati From my school only I have been selected so nothing special is done :(

Congrats bro!!for kvpy.you also like basketball??can you do those dunks??

Well I can touch the rim and yeah, in some street courts ,I can dunk where rim is low, also my school ring is very low so I can easily dunk there.

BTW u follow NBA?'coz this season there are some hell weird transactions.

@Harsh Shrivastava Not near but I perform those lay up shots,free throws well.anything inside the d and its in the basket if in my hand.but our rings are quite high.so I can't dunk.even the best players of our team can't.

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya I love NBA.but I can play only in school.we have a screwed up time table in fiitjee(5 days)+school.so its becoming tough for me to go up with the game.

@Harsh Shrivastava And those fake shots??you know some??

@Spandan Senapati Well I have played state level basketball so yeah,I am familiar and well practiced with those fakes,crossovers,layups with added spices and 360° shot.

Mine favourite team is GSW,yours?

Also you play at which position?I am 5'10'' and rigid so I play usually center+shooting guard.

Congrats to u too.Nsep+kvpy is awesome!!

What abt rmo?

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya I did rmo this year as well.will have a hard time preparing for inao,inmo,inpho.

@Spandan Senapati Woah god!!!

Rmo+nsep+kvpy+nsea is hell awesome.

I can't clear nsep and nsea.

Preparing for inmo from where?

Geometry always kills me.

@Harsh Shrivastava I am not one who is comfortable with maths all times.last year I also qualified for inmo and next was 31.!!although my rmo score this year was high(83) compared to the cutoff but inmo needs a craze for maths which I think I don't have.I am solving prev q papers and our inmo camp will start from 2 jan

Your interview center?

@Harsh Shrivastava NISER,Bhubaneswar.yours????

@Spandan Senapati Some institue in Kolkata.

@Harsh Shrivastava So it would be a grt experience for you to go to Kolkata and appear for the interview.I guess it would be IISER.BTW what's going on in fiijee??

@Spandan Senapati Our starting in fiitjee was slow so we are bit behind.

Maths=Bionomial theorem

Phy = SHM

Chem =Isomerism.

@Harsh Shrivastava In our batch phys thermodynamics,maths-triangles,chem-goc over but next topic has not been started yet.merry Christmas bro!!!

@Spandan Senapati Merry chrstmas to you too bro!

@Harsh Shrivastava How was your aiits 3?you gave it??

@Spandan Senapati Sorry to interupt but last year's AIITS 3 (class 11th one) Was horrible for us atleast. with a pretty bad pattern (10 Multi correct 10 integer) and -2 marking made it hell. for a top 50 rank only a score of 105 was needed of 210!

@Prakhar Bindal Ya this year was exactly the same.I am scoring 151 as per the answer key.fiitjee sometimes surprises students with such pattern.I had last encountered such in class 9 aiits-3.and I had just screwed up the paper.and no sorry this is an open forum and you can post freely anytime.

@Prakhar Bindal Can you tell what's the general scenario of students as they move from 11-12.as in our centre I used to see that a guy used to top I all exams.but in class 12 that guys best rank is 65(most probably).I can't just account for this.Is it that students do better in 12??

@Spandan Senapati My Rank almost remained constant in class 11 as well as 12 . My average rank in class 11 was about 15-20 and in 12th it is about 20-25 . but yeah sometimes it happens . my one friend used to get top 10 ranks in aiits in class 11 but he is getting 300-400 rank dont know why although he is too good at PCM.

One of my other friend was getting 300 rank class 11 but now he is consistently getting in top 50 .

So it depends on you!

@Prakhar Bindal Pattern was same for us but paper was easy but then also I made manyy silly mistakes.

@Spandan Senapati Gave it but really really sucked it.Made many unworthy mistakes :(

How was yours ?

@Harsh Shrivastava Went well.I didn't do many mistakes as I attempted anly those I knew.but I think mi could have done better in chem if I had studied b-c family.

Giving ftre?

@Harsh Shrivastava Nope!!I will study for monthly test.dont you have it on Monday??its for the cm batch.

@Spandan Senapati And fiitjee bbsr is making the q this time on an all India basis.

@Spandan Senapati Cm batch is not in our center.But we do have monthly tests.

@Spandan Senapati https://brilliant.org/problems/a-problem-of-my-book-5/?ref_id=1296492

In this problem ain't answer coming out to be 4.75 something?

Exact answer : 7(π(π+2))5\sqrt{\frac{7(\pi (\pi + 2))}{5}} ??

If not,can you please post the solution bro? thanks!

@Harsh Shrivastava I am not getting the problem.can you tell how can I go to this question.

@Spandan Senapati (Click here)[https://brilliant.org/problems/a-problem-of-my-book-5/?ref_id=1296492]

@Harsh Shrivastava OK as much as I recall I had got the and as 4.01.o I entered it as 4.

@Spandan Senapati Hmm

Basically what i did was to use the fact that normal reaction is providing restoring torque here.

Am a right?

@Harsh Shrivastava Its the weight that will provide+there can be friction as well.as its not slipping.so what I did was wrote the energy and since friction is static I differentiated it.something that we do in Lagrangian mechanics.this is irrelevant here.but you can try out this approach.static friction ensures that energy is conserved

@Spandan Senapati Oh yes!Energy conservation is useful here.I forgot the torque due to friction.

What resources do you use in physics,also how can i improve in physics?

@Harsh Shrivastava I am passionate about the sub.currently I am working out a guide to physics problems part-1(springer) for inpho.is is a collection of problems from the PhD exams of MIT,Moscow tech etc.also I follow Arthur beiser(seriously try this if you wanna feel the essence of modern phy)and David morin.a simple advise I can give is love the subject ike you do basketball.then everything becomes interesting

@Spandan Senapati You know what i love physics and maths.

Being not good in physics can't steal my love for it.I enjoy every moment i spend on thinking hard on a tough physics problem and get the best feeling when i can sometimes crack them.

@Harsh Shrivastava Yeah!that's the spirit. don't worry dude you.eep working and you will surely succeed.and I think there is nt any notion like Mr x is not good is not good in this subject??BTW what are you doing for inmo??

@Spandan Senapati I am reading about inversions in geometry coz they seem to be pretty good for solving problems involving a circle and some points.But i did not studied for inmo in the last week bcoz of some backlogs in jee-maths and physics and chem..

@Harsh Shrivastava And chem?? 😀😀

@Spandan Senapati Organic chemistry seems to be good.

But hate inorganic from bottom of my heart and i am okay with physical.

wbu?

@Harsh Shrivastava I like chem.but don't pay enough time to it.so I secure a bit less.

@Spandan Senapati And what do you use for maths.....BTW I too love physics and maths a lot!!!!

@A Former Brilliant Member Grt!!for maths I don't do anything special.I was more focused on olympid maths in class 10 but now jee math is good.so I mainly do q from packages,some Olympiad problems related to jee.and class notes.

@Spandan Senapati Grt....and all the best for your interview

@A Former Brilliant Member Thanks a lot.

@Harsh Shrivastava And my and was 2π√(π-2)(R/g)

@Spandan Senapati Basically what i did was to use the fact that normal reaction is providing restoring torque here.

Am a right?

@Harsh Shrivastava https://brilliant.org/problems/a-problem-of-my-book-5/?ref_id=1296492

Here is my experience

My score in aptitude test wasn't that good (about 71) due to my poor performance in biology (6 or 7).

But my interview went quite good (i was give 81/100 in interview).

My interview was held at one of my dream places IIT,Delhi . It was a nice day and my interview was scheduled in the evening slot from 3 pm . Me and my mother reached there via Metro at 2:30 pm and my dad came there directly from his office. Then in three Cars (most probably they were Toyota Innova's :P) groups of scientists and professors came who were going to conduct the interviews. After completing all the formalities (submitting some forms and documents) i was told to wait till my name is called up. My name was third in the list. i still remember the person before me entered at 3:30 pm and he came out at about 4:25. From his face it seemed that he had a terrible experience .my father consoled me and told me you will have a great interview go ahead . My name was called i entered the room . it was a big room with lot of books and there was a large parabolic table and my chair was the vertex all the professors were seating around that table and lot of food (Sabzi , roti , dal , juices ,cold drinks) were kept there . it seemed that they were having lunch while taking the interview. i was asked to sit down and then a professor read out by self appraisal form. As i had written my favourite subject as maths quite naturally they started with it . i was directed towards a lady professor and she told me to get onto the board. she told me to draw a 8*8 chess board (i am not good at drawing :P) . She asked me some trivial problems number of squares , number of parallelograms , number of rectangles . i dont remember but in one of these problems i replied the answer as n^2(n+)^2/4 . she told me can you link it with some summation . i readily said it is the square of the sum of first n natural numbers . she told very good and she said isn't it sum of cubes of natural number i readily said yes .then she asked me to derive this . i explained her two ways by induction and other by taking difference. she told me good and then she stopped. then i was directed to the chemistry professor. there was a coca cola lying on the table and he asked me what does it mainly composes of . i told him carbonic acid and gaseous co2. he told good and asked me how can i determine the molarity of carbonic acid in that bottle . i readily replied titration . he said i give you a known amount of NaOH Draw the titration curve . i drew the conventional curve for strong base and weak acid . he told there is a error in it can you figure out?. after thinking i said no sir i cant figure out he told me you wont be able to detect end point as its black colored . can you make appropriate changes in the graph ?

i could not figure out and i told him that . he said no problem and then i was directed to biology mam.she asked me to sit down and take some juice and be relaxed . after 1 minute she asked me what have i studied in biology . i readily said cell theory as that was the only topic i studied for interview. she asked me some basic questions what is a cell , tissue , organalle's , name some organalle's and there functions. in explaining all these i said the word disease . she turned the topic to disease and asked me what is a disease name any three viral , bacterial disease . in the last i told here cholera (bacterial disease) then she asked me which bacterium causes cholera . i couldn't recall and i told her . my interview was over and they asked me whether i will go for iit or not i told not yet decided :P

i was happy but not very satisfied came out my dad told me that my interview lasted exactly 18 minutes .

i had snacks at the iit canteen (burger , pizza) etc and came back home .

just remain confident dont give wrong answers thats it

all the best

I must really appreciate your method of presentation.thank you!!!

So even you filled maths as your favorite subject,you were asked easy questions on it.

yup i was asked tough questions of chemistry :P

brilliant experience . !! . ☺

sanyam goel - 2 years, 9 months ago

Ohh i dont remember as such :P :P . i am lazy to check it up again!

@Prakhar Bindal hehe!!

sanyam goel - 2 years, 9 months ago

Wishing you all a happy and prosperous new year 2017.cheers!!!!

to you to still 1 hour to go

Same to you!

Aniket Sanghi - 2 years, 9 months ago

How was inmo?

I don't know why the hell the coordinator changed timings here and it was from 12 to 4 here :(

And I could not know about this change thus lost 1 hour :'(

Did 1 complete ,2 almost complete and 75% of one.Could have done better if time was there :(

Never mind.you put your best efforts and that's what matters.mine was fine.I was not prepared but somehow managed to solve 5,6,1,4,3.(the last I am not sure)but I think I could have solved all 6 if I had prepared right from the start.let's wait for results.BTW the timing for us was also 12-4.just chill now.

So how will you manage with IMO and IPHO?

Congrats for your selection in INMO!

So is IIT your aim?

You can post images easily by using this trick.I assume you know how to post pictures in questions , so just go and post any image you want to post in post a problem section and then copy the link thatll come and paste it to comments.

@Harsh Shrivastava No inmo is quite tough.cutoffs will be high and they don't give much partials.let's hope for best.I am not so serious abt it.ya I am targeting ipho.quite early to say as I am exploring different fields.but I want to do research in the field of physics.as for jee I don't mainly polarise my attention to that.

@Harsh Shrivastava I will try then.I haven't posted any q since long time.I will do it soon.when is your interview?ours is on 17-19 Feb?quite late.

@Spandan Senapati Mine is on 24th Jan.

@Harsh Shrivastava May I know how you are preparing??just wanted to know.

Hey can you help me.how do you post the pictures of wedges,etc.I wanna post a q but I can't upload it.can you help??

@Harsh Shrivastava.how was your interview???

Well I think my interview went well but don't know what will happen.

I was last one to be interviewed in my center.

@Prakhar Bindal.how are your preparing for INO.I wanted to know abt astronomy.I had given INAO in class 10.but that was like the worst exam.for me.can you advise some thing.thanx.

Actually i am not preparing for INAO And might not give it too . It has indeed clashed with my board practicals which cant be neglected and postponed. I Might give INCHO+I feel its high time for me just work on my weak topics for JEE coz this time only 6 days are there between board exam end and JEE Mains .

Guyz @Prakhar Bindal @Spandan Senapati can you please suggest me how not to make silly mistakes in the exam and how to keep calm temperament during tests? Thanks!

I won't be the perfect one to advise.but in exams I don't become so happy even if I solve e toughest problem.I just move in with the hope of completing the entire paper(if not at least trying it full)and for avoiding silly mistakes you need to be very careful right from filling the omr to completing the exam.just after you solve a q read the opt. carefully and then only mark.1-2 silly mistakes will ocurr even with toppers but notmaking many distinguishes them.also it would be beneficial if you solve subjective q as then you can reach the final Sol.

I Am trying to work on them . might be increasing concentration will help

Best of luck @Prakhar Bindal,@aniket sanghi and all for INAO,INCHO tomorrow.

yup and same to you!!

My god! which school is that?

You don't know its DAV chandrasekharpur....Not to boast of but my school has got a splendid history and has nurture d some great prodigies.......

whereas it boasts of fiitjee integrated

@Prakhar Bindal how was INCHO

mine was Average. Organic was doable but That coordination compounds question and last deuterium one sucked .

And yeah i felt paper was lengthy for 3 hours .

I Had a bad time struggling with calculator . they gave pretty bad values in physical and i am not good at using a calculator

same was the case with me too many people told they did organic and left the rest!

@Spandan Senapati Did u write FTRE??

No I didnt

How was INPHO

@Aniswar S K Fine.I was able to solve most except part(2 bits) of the last q and q5.due to less time.it was quite a lengthy paper

@Spandan Senapati How many mechanics questions were there?

Can you post the paper?

@Harsh Shrivastava No I can't.it was a qpaper cum and sheet.1 !each q and the other 1 relayed to mech and em

@Spandan Senapati Wow each question had mech that's awesome BTW expecting selection?

@Harsh Shrivastava No I didn't mean that only 1 was a perfect mech q.and another party mech+electromagnetic induction.ya I hope so that I get selected.if not I have got a chance next year.BTW I am enjoying my Olympiad journey.

@Harsh Shrivastava Hey are aiits 3 results out.I will have to focus on jee till feb28 (day of results).our administration is quite lazy

Hey @Spandan Senapati inmo scorecards are out.

I got 51 😭 time issue really affected me 😭

How much u got?Also plz tell abt scores from your region.

Grt score.how many had you solved.I can jut guess y marks.I haven't got yet.that's quite a good score I must say ad you HD some 3 hrs only to solve the paper. Tell some more marks from your region.

3-4.

Rest of the scores from my region are below 40 I guess highest after me being 38 probably.

BTW tell me yr score after you get them.

We have got marks 69, 53,52,51,48,40,40,36.

Bro rank in aiits? Top 5?

Mine is very poor 167 :(

Now let's see if you can tell it.you will I know.that's easy.my rank=(no of distinct letters in your name).

Awesome !

Where did you see the result?

A Former Brilliant Member - 2 years, 8 months ago

I called my center office.

Guys best ranks from your centre?I have nt seen the entire result (only mine)but air 1 is sarthak I guess.

@Spandan Senapati 13th, Nimay Gupta.

@Harsh Shrivastava They haven't put the result in bbsr.your scores???-my phy-53,maths-54,chem-44.(and this was the easiest)as my friends told me.