Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

KVPY 2016 interview

First of all congrats to all those who have been selected for the interview.Its indeed a great achievement as lot many appear in this prestigious exam .So we have abt 1-2 months left for the interview.So you guys can give suggestions on the interview like which subject to choose,questions related to that etc.I welcome suggestions from you all.From my school we have got 46 selections in which 32 are from SA and rest from sx.

Note by Spandan Senapati
3 weeks, 6 days ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

Be confident , there main target is to check your confidence , they will try to just confuse you in your concepts itself and they will question you continuously , you just need to answer them with full confidence and correctness . And never answer those q which you don't know as wrong answers are not encouraged there and be upto the point , don't add extra waste things to your answer . Aniket Sanghi · 3 weeks, 6 days ago

@Aniket Sanghi will bio question would be asked to a pcm student Piyush Kumar Behera · 3 weeks, 5 days ago

@Piyush Kumar Behera I can't really gurantee that , but according to me they won't do such things . They understand the problem of students . Aniket Sanghi · 3 weeks, 4 days ago

@Aniket Sanghi Thanx for your suggestions.will they be asking questions from all the 4 subjects. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 6 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Depends , for me , they ask my favourite subject (Physics ) and then they asked for maths also . Aniket Sanghi · 3 weeks, 5 days ago

@Aniket Sanghi What was your stage 1 marks?.does it any way matter in stage 2?? Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 5 days ago

@Spandan Senapati My score was low due to Bio, it was 66.5 , however in second stage they dont ask your scores , they are not interested in that. Aniket Sanghi · 3 weeks, 5 days ago

@Aniket Sanghi my score in bio is just 11.total 72.75.did you chose any special topic of interest for it??and tell me how did you prepare?we have got mock interviews organised by our school.And they call scientists for that even.so even those who qualify the first stage by a small margin perform well in interview.any way I am also planning to go with phy. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 5 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Your score in 1st stage matters for selection , in second stage its obvious that u will get good score , I didnt do anything special for interview , just searched net for other people experiance.

My score in Bio was just around 6 :P Aniket Sanghi · 3 weeks, 4 days ago

How was inmo?

I don't know why the hell the coordinator changed timings here and it was from 12 to 4 here :(

And I could not know about this change thus lost 1 hour :'(

Did 1 complete ,2 almost complete and 75% of one.Could have done better if time was there :( Harsh Shrivastava · 1 day, 19 hours ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Hey can you help me.how do you post the pictures of wedges,etc.I wanna post a q but I can't upload it.can you help?? Spandan Senapati · 1 day, 18 hours ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Never mind.you put your best efforts and that's what matters.mine was fine.I was not prepared but somehow managed to solve 5,6,1,4,3.(the last I am not sure)but I think I could have solved all 6 if I had prepared right from the start.let's wait for results.BTW the timing for us was also 12-4.just chill now. Spandan Senapati · 1 day, 18 hours ago

@Spandan Senapati So how will you manage with IMO and IPHO?

Congrats for your selection in INMO!

So is IIT your aim?

You can post images easily by using this trick.I assume you know how to post pictures in questions , so just go and post any image you want to post in post a problem section and then copy the link thatll come and paste it to comments. Harsh Shrivastava · 1 day, 16 hours ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I will try then.I haven't posted any q since long time.I will do it soon.when is your interview?ours is on 17-19 Feb?quite late. Spandan Senapati · 1 day, 16 hours ago

@Spandan Senapati Mine is on 24th Jan. Harsh Shrivastava · 1 day, 15 hours ago

@Harsh Shrivastava No inmo is quite tough.cutoffs will be high and they don't give much partials.let's hope for best.I am not so serious abt it.ya I am targeting ipho.quite early to say as I am exploring different fields.but I want to do research in the field of physics.as for jee I don't mainly polarise my attention to that. Spandan Senapati · 1 day, 16 hours ago

Wishing you all a happy and prosperous new year 2017.cheers!!!! Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 2 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Same to you! Aniket Sanghi · 2 weeks, 1 day ago

@Spandan Senapati to you to still 1 hour to go Prakhar Bindal · 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Which topic will you chose in physics?

I guess I would chose maths and sub topic integration. Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Congrats bro!!for kvpy.you also like basketball??can you do those dunks?? Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Giving ftre? Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 2 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Nope!!I will study for monthly test.dont you have it on Monday??its for the cm batch. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 2 days ago

@Spandan Senapati https://brilliant.org/problems/a-problem-of-my-book-5/?ref_id=1296492

In this problem ain't answer coming out to be 4.75 something?

Exact answer : \(\sqrt{\frac{7(\pi (\pi + 2))}{5}}\) ??

If not,can you please post the solution bro? thanks! Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I am not getting the problem.can you tell how can I go to this question. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava https://brilliant.org/problems/a-problem-of-my-book-5/?ref_id=1296492 Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati (Click here)[https://brilliant.org/problems/a-problem-of-my-book-5/?ref_id=1296492] Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava And my and was 2π√(π-2)(R/g) Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Basically what i did was to use the fact that normal reaction is providing restoring torque here.

Am a right? Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava OK as much as I recall I had got the and as 4.01.o I entered it as 4. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Hmm

Basically what i did was to use the fact that normal reaction is providing restoring torque here.

Am a right? Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Its the weight that will provide+there can be friction as well.as its not slipping.so what I did was wrote the energy and since friction is static I differentiated it.something that we do in Lagrangian mechanics.this is irrelevant here.but you can try out this approach.static friction ensures that energy is conserved Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Oh yes!Energy conservation is useful here.I forgot the torque due to friction.

What resources do you use in physics,also how can i improve in physics? Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I am passionate about the sub.currently I am working out a guide to physics problems part-1(springer) for inpho.is is a collection of problems from the PhD exams of MIT,Moscow tech etc.also I follow Arthur beiser(seriously try this if you wanna feel the essence of modern phy)and David morin.a simple advise I can give is love the subject ike you do basketball.then everything becomes interesting Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati And what do you use for maths.....BTW I too love physics and maths a lot!!!! A E · 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@A E Grt!!for maths I don't do anything special.I was more focused on olympid maths in class 10 but now jee math is good.so I mainly do q from packages,some Olympiad problems related to jee.and class notes. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Grt....and all the best for your interview A E · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@A E Thanks a lot. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Spandan Senapati You know what i love physics and maths.

Being not good in physics can't steal my love for it.I enjoy every moment i spend on thinking hard on a tough physics problem and get the best feeling when i can sometimes crack them. Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava And chem?? 😀😀 Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Organic chemistry seems to be good.

But hate inorganic from bottom of my heart and i am okay with physical.

wbu? Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I like chem.but don't pay enough time to it.so I secure a bit less. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Yeah!that's the spirit. don't worry dude you.eep working and you will surely succeed.and I think there is nt any notion like Mr x is not good is not good in this subject??BTW what are you doing for inmo?? Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati I am reading about inversions in geometry coz they seem to be pretty good for solving problems involving a circle and some points.But i did not studied for inmo in the last week bcoz of some backlogs in jee-maths and physics and chem.. Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

Comment deleted 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati Sarthak behera?I saw his name in our result list.

Our course was not completed on time in chem so none from center was in top 100.(mine was 300s something :P)

You were 5th right.

David burtons book is awesome for NT afaik.

You are fine with geometry? Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Yah last year I had solved like 2 q (although second geo was not complete)in inmo.fine with geo. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Hmm kk gtgo good night!

I will start from right now for become tough in physics! Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

Comment deleted 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati Really,i thought he was a prodigy!!

salute!

Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Cm batch is not in our center.But we do have monthly tests. Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 2 days ago

@Spandan Senapati And fiitjee bbsr is making the q this time on an all India basis. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 2 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Your interview center? Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava NISER,Bhubaneswar.yours???? Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Some institue in Kolkata. Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava So it would be a grt experience for you to go to Kolkata and appear for the interview.I guess it would be IISER.BTW what's going on in fiijee?? Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Our starting in fiitjee was slow so we are bit behind.

Maths=Bionomial theorem

Phy = SHM

Chem =Isomerism. Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava In our batch phys thermodynamics,maths-triangles,chem-goc over but next topic has not been started yet.merry Christmas bro!!! Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 2 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Merry chrstmas to you too bro! Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 2 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava How was your aiits 3?you gave it?? Spandan Senapati · 4 days, 14 hours ago

@Spandan Senapati Gave it but really really sucked it.Made many unworthy mistakes :(

How was yours ? Harsh Shrivastava · 4 days, 6 hours ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Went well.I didn't do many mistakes as I attempted anly those I knew.but I think mi could have done better in chem if I had studied b-c family. Spandan Senapati · 4 days, 4 hours ago

@Spandan Senapati Sorry to interupt but last year's AIITS 3 (class 11th one) Was horrible for us atleast. with a pretty bad pattern (10 Multi correct 10 integer) and -2 marking made it hell. for a top 50 rank only a score of 105 was needed of 210! Prakhar Bindal · 4 days, 13 hours ago

@Prakhar Bindal Can you tell what's the general scenario of students as they move from 11-12.as in our centre I used to see that a guy used to top I all exams.but in class 12 that guys best rank is 65(most probably).I can't just account for this.Is it that students do better in 12?? Spandan Senapati · 4 days, 4 hours ago

@Spandan Senapati My Rank almost remained constant in class 11 as well as 12 . My average rank in class 11 was about 15-20 and in 12th it is about 20-25 . but yeah sometimes it happens . my one friend used to get top 10 ranks in aiits in class 11 but he is getting 300-400 rank dont know why although he is too good at PCM.

One of my other friend was getting 300 rank class 11 but now he is consistently getting in top 50 .

So it depends on you! Prakhar Bindal · 4 days, 2 hours ago

@Prakhar Bindal Ya this year was exactly the same.I am scoring 151 as per the answer key.fiitjee sometimes surprises students with such pattern.I had last encountered such in class 9 aiits-3.and I had just screwed up the paper.and no sorry this is an open forum and you can post freely anytime. Spandan Senapati · 4 days, 4 hours ago

@Prakhar Bindal Pattern was same for us but paper was easy but then also I made manyy silly mistakes. Harsh Shrivastava · 4 days, 6 hours ago

@Spandan Senapati Congrats to u too.Nsep+kvpy is awesome!!

What abt rmo? Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya I did rmo this year as well.will have a hard time preparing for inao,inmo,inpho. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Woah god!!!

Rmo+nsep+kvpy+nsea is hell awesome.

I can't clear nsep and nsea.

Preparing for inmo from where?

Geometry always kills me. Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I am not one who is comfortable with maths all times.last year I also qualified for inmo and next was 31.!!although my rmo score this year was high(83) compared to the cutoff but inmo needs a craze for maths which I think I don't have.I am solving prev q papers and our inmo camp will start from 2 jan Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Well I can touch the rim and yeah, in some street courts ,I can dunk where rim is low, also my school ring is very low so I can easily dunk there.

BTW u follow NBA?'coz this season there are some hell weird transactions. Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava And those fake shots??you know some?? Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Well I have played state level basketball so yeah,I am familiar and well practiced with those fakes,crossovers,layups with added spices and 360° shot.

Mine favourite team is GSW,yours?

Also you play at which position?I am 5'10'' and rigid so I play usually center+shooting guard. Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya I love NBA.but I can play only in school.we have a screwed up time table in fiitjee(5 days)+school.so its becoming tough for me to go up with the game. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Not near but I perform those lay up shots,free throws well.anything inside the d and its in the basket if in my hand.but our rings are quite high.so I can't dunk.even the best players of our team can't. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I will most probably go with black holes or relativity.I need to discuss with my teacher. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Will they ask from our favorite topic? Harsh Shrivastava · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya they mainly polarise on your fav topic.but there are even chances that they will ask from all the sub.like for a pcm student they can ask bio even but of a low level. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 3 days ago

All the past qualifiers/having experience of interview are requested to comment on this forum.@Prakhar Bindal,@Aniket Sanghi and all. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks, 6 days ago

Here is my experience

My score in aptitude test wasn't that good (about 71) due to my poor performance in biology (6 or 7).

But my interview went quite good (i was give 81/100 in interview).

My interview was held at one of my dream places IIT,Delhi . It was a nice day and my interview was scheduled in the evening slot from 3 pm . Me and my mother reached there via Metro at 2:30 pm and my dad came there directly from his office. Then in three Cars (most probably they were Toyota Innova's :P) groups of scientists and professors came who were going to conduct the interviews. After completing all the formalities (submitting some forms and documents) i was told to wait till my name is called up. My name was third in the list. i still remember the person before me entered at 3:30 pm and he came out at about 4:25. From his face it seemed that he had a terrible experience .my father consoled me and told me you will have a great interview go ahead . My name was called i entered the room . it was a big room with lot of books and there was a large parabolic table and my chair was the vertex all the professors were seating around that table and lot of food (Sabzi , roti , dal , juices ,cold drinks) were kept there . it seemed that they were having lunch while taking the interview. i was asked to sit down and then a professor read out by self appraisal form. As i had written my favourite subject as maths quite naturally they started with it . i was directed towards a lady professor and she told me to get onto the board. she told me to draw a 8*8 chess board (i am not good at drawing :P) . She asked me some trivial problems number of squares , number of parallelograms , number of rectangles . i dont remember but in one of these problems i replied the answer as n^2(n+)^2/4 . she told me can you link it with some summation . i readily said it is the square of the sum of first n natural numbers . she told very good and she said isn't it sum of cubes of natural number i readily said yes .then she asked me to derive this . i explained her two ways by induction and other by taking difference. she told me good and then she stopped. then i was directed to the chemistry professor. there was a coca cola lying on the table and he asked me what does it mainly composes of . i told him carbonic acid and gaseous co2. he told good and asked me how can i determine the molarity of carbonic acid in that bottle . i readily replied titration . he said i give you a known amount of NaOH Draw the titration curve . i drew the conventional curve for strong base and weak acid . he told there is a error in it can you figure out?. after thinking i said no sir i cant figure out he told me you wont be able to detect end point as its black colored . can you make appropriate changes in the graph ?

i could not figure out and i told him that . he said no problem and then i was directed to biology mam.she asked me to sit down and take some juice and be relaxed . after 1 minute she asked me what have i studied in biology . i readily said cell theory as that was the only topic i studied for interview. she asked me some basic questions what is a cell , tissue , organalle's , name some organalle's and there functions. in explaining all these i said the word disease . she turned the topic to disease and asked me what is a disease name any three viral , bacterial disease . in the last i told here cholera (bacterial disease) then she asked me which bacterium causes cholera . i couldn't recall and i told her . my interview was over and they asked me whether i will go for iit or not i told not yet decided :P

i was happy but not very satisfied came out my dad told me that my interview lasted exactly 18 minutes .

i had snacks at the iit canteen (burger , pizza) etc and came back home .

just remain confident dont give wrong answers thats it

all the best Prakhar Bindal · 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal brilliant experience . !! . ☺ Sanyam Goel · 2 weeks, 2 days ago

@Sanyam Goel Ohh i dont remember as such :P :P . i am lazy to check it up again! Prakhar Bindal · 2 weeks, 2 days ago

@Prakhar Bindal hehe!! Sanyam Goel · 2 weeks, 1 day ago

@Prakhar Bindal So even you filled maths as your favorite subject,you were asked easy questions on it. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava yup i was asked tough questions of chemistry :P Prakhar Bindal · 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@Prakhar Bindal I must really appreciate your method of presentation.thank you!!! Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...