Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

KVPY 2016 interview

First of all congrats to all those who have been selected for the interview.Its indeed a great achievement as lot many appear in this prestigious exam .So we have abt 1-2 months left for the interview.So you guys can give suggestions on the interview like which subject to choose,questions related to that etc.I welcome suggestions from you all.From my school we have got 46 selections in which 32 are from SA and rest from sx.

Note by Spandan Senapati
5 months, 1 week ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

So the kvpy interview is over.I am gonna share my experience.For me it was scheduled to be held at 9:00 am in NISER,Bhubaneswar. I reached there by 8:15.quite a far place.abt 22km from Bhubaneswar.It was adjacent to IIT,Bbsr.My interview started at 9:45 am after the completion of 2 students.The first one is a friend of mine(I don't know him much) who said after his that the interview board is quite friendly.that seemed a good gesture.So when I entered I just introduced my self,what I liked to do.etc.They asked what I had for breakfast and it was maggi for me.so they readily asked(chem) what chemical led to the controversy in maggi case.I didn't know.but anyways the person had himself told that this is not related to interview.so now of started.my topic was wave-particle duality,photoelectric effect and modern phy....somi was asked to explain photoelectric effect.on board which I did.then the physics prof asked me to split the work function into constituents.I did that it was binding energy+energy to remove that from the influence of all other interacting forces.then the mam asked on wave prop.then maths.I knew him as he is the director of institute of maths(where I had attended inmotcs in class 10,11)even he had felicitated me this yr for being 3rd in state in rmo.so he asked to prove that sum(j^99)j=1,2,3,4,5.was divisible by 5.I did that quite easily and could even generalise the case although it wasn't asked.the interview board seemed quite happy.I proceeded to factorise and proof the generalisation. And he didn't allow me to complete as he saw the first few steps and said "oh come on you can do after this quite easy" then something on relations.which I replied that I have not studied.and he said that it wasn't a big thing.I could do it anytime.then I was asked some conversions in organic although I didn't know them he didn't tell much and asked what I will do in future I said that I will do research (in mathematical aspect of physics) and they seemed quite impressed.and the next was a staple q(do you really want to join jee or do research)I genuinely replied research(as that's what I really wanna do).it came to an end and theybjust asked if I wanted anything to get clarified. I just asked what I can do to promote my interest as a student.The chem one replied that I was doing really well and I will do so.that made me feel quite ecstatic.and that was the end.later the director of niser(perhaps)wanted to meet my father.as he seemed to be quite happy with my perforomance.Later I went to canteen(some drinks)and returned.Believe me it was very big and great campus.and on way I even went to IIT bbsr.it is still under construction.nothing much but the field there is quite big.and it will look beautiful after some years. Spandan Senapati · 3 months, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati Any idea about what he told your father? Swapnil Das · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Swapnil Das No nothing much he asked me where is your father.I just introduced him.And he told something which I didn't hear awe stood a bit away from him...He seemed to be a good person. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Can you please help me? A particle of mass 'm' moves under a force given by F= -kx^n.Find time period of oscillations if spring constant is k. Here n is any odd integer. A E · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@A E Ya its of the form \(8x(o)^((1-n)/2)/w(n+1)int(sin@^\((2/n+1)d@)\)).with @ varying from \(0-π/2\) and \(w^2=2k/m(n+1)\) Here the numbers \(2/n+1)\)accompanying \(sin@\) is the power that sin has been rairaised to.and the no\(1-n/2\)accompanying the x(o)term is a power . Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Why will it not depend on amplitude? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava OK so it has a value of \((√π)/2T\((n+3)/2(n+1)\)/\(T(n+2)/(n+1)\)). T is the gamma function Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Comment deleted 2 months ago

@A E Lot of messy stuffs involved..Just solving differentials.Not much n physics involved here I guess. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Can you please explain how to derive time period from the beginning? A E · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya it will intact the amplitude is the x(o)term.Hey try putting \(.sin@=e^(iy)-e^(-iy)/2i.\)Most probably the binomially expanding yieldmsome thing but then that's not in closed form. No don't work it becomes tedious. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati What's m here? A E · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Yup closed form does exist use beta function and then gamma function done. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava So what did you get I don't know beta functions much.

r Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati I have not solved it till end.You may directly use beta function's defination to evaluate that integral.Just look up on brilliant wikis. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Well that's not in scope of JEE Atleast although i love gamma and beta functions.

@A E Can you share pdf? Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal I don't have it now,but it was in some PDF related to MIT's open course ware.Try googling it,I suppose its still on their site. A E · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal But many trignometric integrals as well as integrals of the form (x)^a(1-x)^b can be solved under 1 minutes (and it has appeared as a previous jee question where normal method was very long).

Thus it is worth learning even from jee point of view i guess. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I learnt it coz i loved integrals when it was taught to us! and yeah that helped only in AITS :p Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal Did you had any backlogs at the end of class 11? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Yep many i had . one of my backlog is still there which i haven't overcame FLUID MECHANICS . In chemistry i mostly didn't got Organic of 11th which i improved in 12th . in maths combinatorics troubled me and it still sometimes coz its a kind of topic which you cant master completely . Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati How did you solve it? A E · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati How did you do it?I tried doing it with normal integration and things are getting very tedious? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya substituted=x(o)(sin@)^(2/n+1).Although I don't know whether its closed form exists of the integral.But next let me Think Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Well this kind of problem has been asked in jee but was somewhat easier . If i can reckon correctly it had something proportionality constant (alpha) Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal I found this question in some PDF related to SHM. A E · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal Yup the problem mentioned smthing additional like small amplitude,i also remeber. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Well i did SHM arhive in september 2015 but i marked that question coz i was not able to do that at first shot thats why i remember otherwise there are 100's of problems in archive Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@A E Ha Ha it reminds me of my friend's interview last year . he was asked the time period for F = -kx^3 . IDK But the professor told him F = -Kx where K = kx^2

Hence time period = 2pi*sqrt(m/kx^2) i know its not logical at all but one of professors of the panel told my friend this :P :P Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal Did they tell the actual answer ? A E · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Your interview went quite well plus aptitude marks = top 10 for you.

Congrats! Harsh Shrivastava · 3 months, 1 week ago

@Harsh Shrivastava No chance of top 10.I know a guy paean who is scoring as high in 90.and mine is 73.so its quite tough.but I expect a rank of within 100.BTW what's the highest in kvpy from yours state.I don't know sarthaks but his is mostly in 78-80. Spandan Senapati · 3 months, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati Yeah top 10 is really difficult . one of my friend got 86 in test and 64 in interview lasty year to get air 14 Prakhar Bindal · 3 months, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati Well according to your interview experience . you will easily get 80+ or even 90.

According to that if you equalise last year your rank will be in the range 25-50 (considering difficulty the same as last year).

I Got about 70 in test and 81 in interview ended with 59 .

My friend got 73 in test and 75 in interview ended with around 50. Prakhar Bindal · 3 months, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati 68-70 Nimay Gupta Harsh Shrivastava · 3 months, 1 week ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Ohk. Spandan Senapati · 3 months, 1 week ago

Wish you all a prosperous holi! :) Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal Happy holi to all 😀 Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal Same 2 u bro ..... Sanyam Goel · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal Yup same to you.......... Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Best of luck @Harsh Shrivastava.for your interview tomorrow.do share your experience tomorrow.just stay calm and give your best.you gonna rock it☺☺ Spandan Senapati · 4 months ago

@Spandan Senapati Thnx! Harsh Shrivastava · 4 months ago

@Spandan Senapati @Harsh Shrivastava A question!

A parallel plate capacitor is completely filled with a dielectric sheet of thickness d and relative permittivity k is placed on a horizontal tabletop. The lower plate is glued with the tabletop and the dielectric slab is glued with the lower plate. The plates are square of edge length l and mass of the upper plate is m. The plates are given a charge +q and -q, then the upper plate is shifted horizontally by a small distance x along one of its edges and set free. Find the period of oscillation of this plate. Thickness d of the dielectric is much smaller than the edge length l. Aniswar S K · 4 days, 14 hours ago

@Aniswar S K It would be better with a diagram. But I don't see what thickness means here. Anyways we begin by noticing that when the plates of a capacitor are displaced then the capacitance of the system is given by \(A\epsilon/d.\)where \(A\) is the projected common area.So Here \(A=L(L-x)\) . Now \(C=kL(L-x) /d\). Force by the other charges on this plate is \( F=-dU/dx\). \(U=Q^2/2C\).Note that the charge remains the same but \(\sigma\) changes..Using this you get \(ma=-kQ^2d/2m\epsilon L^3.\) Now that we have acceleration as negative means it's gonna come back to its natural position, overshoot and head to an amplitude, return back. So \(t=4\sqrt (2x/a)\) The constant \(4\) for in one complete cycle it covers\( 4x\) distance.So this yields\[ t=8L/Q\sqrt (mk\epsilon Lx/d) \] .I used d as the distance between the plates. God knows how it's the thickness. Lol. Got It? And the thing wrong in the previous solution was the expression for capacitance... Spandan Senapati · 4 days, 2 hours ago

@Spandan Senapati Nice one!!

This means we must not expect everything to be shm!! Aniswar S K · 3 days, 19 hours ago

@Aniswar S K I am sorry. It's incorrect. Didn't notice that the dielectric has thickness much smaller than the edge length.... Spandan Senapati · 4 days, 8 hours ago

@Aniswar S K Try this way let an external agent displace the upper plate by a distance X then \[W(agent) +W(capacitor) =0\] .Since for an isolated system in the absence of dissipation forces the energy remains conserved. Now since electric force is conservative \(W(capacitor) =-dU\) Where the second term represents the change in potential energy. Since no external potential is applied\( U=Q^2/2C\).Now when we displace the plates by \(x\) say then \( U=L^2\epsilon /\sqrt d^2+x^2\).Now put that in the equation \(F=dU/dx\). and terms of the order \(x^2\) can be neglected. This gives \(F=\psi x\). But we don't have any agent performing so the force applied by other charges on this is \(f=-F\). So the plate exhibits SHM.Find \(T=2\pi /\omega\) Spandan Senapati · 4 days, 9 hours ago

@Aniswar S K Us the answer.\(.T=2\pi L/Q(2m\epsilon kd) ^(0.5)\).I solved using energy conservation as there would be fringing fields here and directly calculation of the force may be difficult.... Spandan Senapati · 4 days, 9 hours ago

@Spandan Senapati In the answer there is a factor of 8. I don't know how they got it. T=(8l/q)(e0kmlx/d)0.5 and pi is not there!! Aniswar S K · 4 days, 6 hours ago

@Aniswar S K Yes I know it's not gonna be a shy. It's gonna be a periodic motion with probably constant acceleration(I think) I will retry it.i didn't notice that the width of the dielectric is quite less. That's the error. Spandan Senapati · 4 days, 4 hours ago

@Aniswar S K Thanks let me try. Spandan Senapati · 4 days, 13 hours ago

@shubham dhull

bhai ye dekh

https://www.change.org/p/cbse-do-lenient-in-cbse-physics-exam-2017-for-class-xii

Itna mushkil to nhi tha paper? Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 1 week ago

@Prakhar Bindal ghanta mushkil tha :P agar 5-6 number grace de di to mere to 100 paar jayenge number :P balki set-3 tha sabse mushkil maine saare set dekhe the haina bhai ? tere kitne aajenge btade bhai plz ? Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 1 week ago

@Shubham Dhull now i'm feeling bad about bragging too much without even knowing my real marks , just hope i get what i want btw math mein fatti padi hai bhai help @Prakhar Bindal Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati, @Harsh Shrivastava, @A E try this https://brilliant.org/problems/down-she-goes/ Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K I am getting a non integral answer, I used energy conservation and the fact that since string is inextensible,velocity along them would reduce to zero though I may be wrong. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I also wrote momentum impulse equations. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava And I guess we are gonna receive the Kvpy results soon.Let's hope for the best.Lastyr it was declared on 22nd.March Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Why are you worrying? You will get through easily ☺

I am doubtful about mine. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Arey don't worry .You will get through as well...You qualified NTSE stage 2 as well I guess Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I haven't tried it but is the bead fixed.Or the situation is just like a catenary.(chain hanging between 2 walls) Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

How was aiits? @Spandan Senapati @A E @Aniswar S K

I committed so many silly mistakes! :( Dont know when will i stop it :(

Srsly i dont know why i commit so many mistakes :(

My score=20+27+48(cmp) Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya.I checked the key it's so incorrect....Maths in a matrix I got-4(Hyperbola)The physics is wrong as well.Esp the first 2 questions.....(Now as per the incorrect key I got (33+25+57).Don't know but in maths the coefficient of(term independent of x is given wrong)...And they also gave that meso compound one wrong.Seriously I hate fiitjee exams for their incorrect answer keys..... Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Yeah m,any are wrong i dont know why but in every exam it occurs :\ Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Oh yes you are right.I thought the ball was dropped when the other was at mean position.Rather its given that its the extreme........silly me.:) Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Lol many of these kinds of mistakes are committed by me also.We must stop making these mistakes! Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava And the SHM was wrong as well energy will change as they stick...And time period and amplitude will change as well.......Careless people.Allen in this regard is grt.I have given n their xms twice and never was there a single wrong and. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Why shud enrgy change?Also why shud even time period change?

See archive page number-65 jee advanced 2016 multi choice question 1 for a similar question. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava We have a screwed up schedule here.I told you.Here they conduct exams from 6-9pm and they don't put the answer keys even.How did you get the answer keys......I will be telling tomorrow. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati 6-9 pm!!

Overall howasit? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Maths was good.Chem seemed easy this time.Let's hope for best.Chill bro.I have exam tomorrow(chem practical)and I have bunked almost class(or absent).So I don't know even how do a simple salt analysis....(☺☺)And although I had done some in preparing for OCSc last yr I don't remember any....... Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Hey spandan, one doubt in the question posted by aniswar , I solved it by iaor method.But then I tried solving by force torque method that is by drawing individual fbds but could not solve it.My doubt is what forces will act on the particle from ground frame? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Weight of the particle,contact forces by the rim..........But we need to analyse what sorts of acceleration it has. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati I was doing a calc mistake, got my mistake, and yeah result is same in both cases ☺ Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Good....Were any answers wrong in phy and maths....Were did you get the keys from Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati My center gave us key and some are wrong.I am posting solution to aniswars problem, do verify it. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya it went nice.In Physics I think one and didn't match.That rolling one It must be \((8/35)v/ug\). Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati I think answer is matching, coming out to be 3/7 v/ug many of my fnds also got 3. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Well the friction will change its direction may be I did some calc mistake but its like this initially it acts backward so time taken for w to become zero=(v/2R)*(2/5MR^2)/fR.=v/5ug.and for v to become zero its v/ug.So w becomes zero first then v=4v/5at that instant.Next friction supports rotation and opposes translation so 4v/5-ft/M=5ft/2M(t=8/35)OK then we needed to add with the initial.so that t=3/7..Oh I missed that......Got it thanks. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Comment deleted 2 months ago

@Aniket Sanghi Arey i tagged aniswar sk, dont know why you are tagged. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava.can you share with me some questions that theyasked you in your interview. Spandan Senapati · 3 months, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati I was the last one to be interviewed so they asked me easy questions.

First they asked me C1+C2+C3+C4+....Cn prove this in two ways.

Then they asked a multinomial type question .

Then an easy physics question was asked.

Then some easy electrophilic addition question was asked.

That's all.Best of luck! Harsh Shrivastava · 3 months, 1 week ago

@Aniket Sanghi @Prakhar Bindal

How is class 12th jee preparation is it more difficult than class 11th?

My class 11 is about to end. Harsh Shrivastava · 3 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Nothing is difficult in this whole world ... stop thinking about that and let the studies keep going... Aniket Sanghi · 3 months, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I Would not say difficult (class 12) just its a bit bigger than class 11 in terms of syllabus . but class 12 mostly has 55-60% weightage in JEE So you can understand its importance. Prakhar Bindal · 3 months, 2 weeks ago

mine is 14. Aniswar S K · 3 months, 3 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Hey looks like you qualified nsec.from your discussion.this is indeed a grt achievement considering the fact that you are in 11.which state and about your kvpy(when is it) Spandan Senapati · 3 months, 3 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Mine is 14/2 =7th rank Spandan Senapati · 3 months, 3 weeks ago

in my school only 3 people have been selected 1 sa and 2 in sx Aniswar S K · 4 months ago

Yup all the best @Harsh Shrivastava

I Will give just one advice. clearly say if you dont know an answer . dont blindly guess . stay calm, cool take your time to think upon the problem. you will rock it Prakhar Bindal · 4 months ago

@Prakhar Bindal Thnx! Harsh Shrivastava · 4 months ago

Be confident , there main target is to check your confidence , they will try to just confuse you in your concepts itself and they will question you continuously , you just need to answer them with full confidence and correctness . And never answer those q which you don't know as wrong answers are not encouraged there and be upto the point , don't add extra waste things to your answer . Aniket Sanghi · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Aniket Sanghi will bio question would be asked to a pcm student Piyush Kumar Behera · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Piyush Kumar Behera I can't really gurantee that , but according to me they won't do such things . They understand the problem of students . Aniket Sanghi · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Aniket Sanghi Thanx for your suggestions.will they be asking questions from all the 4 subjects. Spandan Senapati · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati Depends , for me , they ask my favourite subject (Physics ) and then they asked for maths also . Aniket Sanghi · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Aniket Sanghi What was your stage 1 marks?.does it any way matter in stage 2?? Spandan Senapati · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati My score was low due to Bio, it was 66.5 , however in second stage they dont ask your scores , they are not interested in that. Aniket Sanghi · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Aniket Sanghi my score in bio is just 11.total 72.75.did you chose any special topic of interest for it??and tell me how did you prepare?we have got mock interviews organised by our school.And they call scientists for that even.so even those who qualify the first stage by a small margin perform well in interview.any way I am also planning to go with phy. Spandan Senapati · 5 months, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati 11 is big no in bio my score was 0.75😂 Aryan Goyat · 4 months ago

@Spandan Senapati Your score in 1st stage matters for selection , in second stage its obvious that u will get good score , I didnt do anything special for interview , just searched net for other people experiance.

My score in Bio was just around 6 :P Aniket Sanghi · 5 months, 1 week ago

Got 96% in CBSE Boards class XII . I Dont know how and became second school topper :P Prakhar Bindal · 10 hours ago

@Prakhar Bindal Nice...Congrats a lot.I don't know how much our school topper has but anyway of our hper result isn't good then its a bad omen for us....We will have to study in hper period that's the worst thing.Just to make clear we have 6 periods a week and our teacher doesn't come abt 5 times.He is very busy.....so its usually a bunk period for us. Spandan Senapati · 10 hours ago

@Spandan Senapati @Harsh Shrivastava Another one!!

https://brilliant.org/problems/tear-apart-the-dielectric/ Aniswar S K · 4 days, 14 hours ago

@Aniswar S K Thanks bro for problems! :D

Keep posting more! I'll also post some! Harsh Shrivastava · 4 days, 13 hours ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Actually I dont know how to solve them!!I am missing some small point Aniswar S K · 4 days, 10 hours ago

@Aniswar S K Could you tell how you solved it?? Aniswar S K · 4 days, 9 hours ago

@Aniswar S K Even I have also not solved them, I am studying capacitors now, and will try to solve them after studying them. Harsh Shrivastava · 4 days, 7 hours ago

@Aniswar S K Hey I tagged you somewhere asking for help in a chemistry question where I was stuck with Hoffmann bromide or halo form reaction following first. Kindly help.. Plz Spandan Senapati · 4 days, 2 hours ago

@Spandan Senapati Sorry the notification is not coming. Could you pls give a link or tag again?? Aniswar S K · 3 days, 19 hours ago

@Aniswar S K https://brilliant.org/profile/aniket-5dxa59/sets/organ-blasts/434144/problem/be-careful-with-organic/. This one. Spandan Senapati · 3 days, 17 hours ago

@Spandan Senapati I've answered it there!! Aniswar S K · 3 days, 15 hours ago

@Aniswar S K Thanks for the help. Keep in posting more chemistry questions. I haven't posted one yet. Spandan Senapati · 3 days, 14 hours ago

@Aniswar S K Hey heating of Hydroxy acids does yield cyclic product but when the OH is at the\(\alpha\) position to the carboxylic group you get a six membered ring. Here it's at \(\beta\) position you get an elimination product. So I guess the answer is Prop-2-en-oic acid. Thanks. I thought both halo form and Hoffmann bromide won't follow although adding H+ in the next step is an indication that halo form follows to yield a carboxylic group. Thanks Spandan Senapati · 3 days, 14 hours ago

@Aniswar S K Try this which is somewhat related

https://brilliant.org/problems/fun-with-ketones/ Aniswar S K · 3 days, 14 hours ago

@Harsh Shrivastava @Spandan Senapati

Try This and help me with a solution!!

https://brilliant.org/problems/potential-of-a-conducting-cube/ Aniswar S K · 1 week, 6 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava @Spandan Senapati @A E a question

Electrostatic Potential at a point close to a charged conducting ball is V. When a very small conducting object ( a probe)

is brought at this point, potential of the ball changes by |deltaV|. Find force of electrostatic interaction between the ball and

the probe. Aniswar S K · 1 week, 6 days ago

@Aniswar S K What are the other parameters mentioned.....Like radius,charge on the ball etc. Spandan Senapati · 1 week, 6 days ago

@Spandan Senapati No Other Parameters. The Ans is 8pi(Epsilon)V|deltaV| Aniswar S K · 1 week, 6 days ago

@Aniswar S K I tried with the hint given at the back which says

"Charges induced on the probe due to the electric field of the ball constitute an equivalent electric dipole. The field of this dipole is responsible to change the potential of the ball by an amount equal to potential created by the dipole at the center of the ball. Now consider interaction of this dipole with the electric field of the ball."

I considered that since the probe is very small the charge distribution on the ball is unaffected and i applied

F= p(dE/dx) where E= kQ/r^2 Aniswar S K · 1 week, 6 days ago

@Aniswar S K Yes it will do.You get \(8π\epsilon V\delta V=F\).Just to state \(\delta V=kp/R^2\) and \(F=2Vp/R^2\).I was considering that probe was a point charge so I was getting a bit weird result.But its conducting. so fine. Spandan Senapati · 1 week, 6 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Could you try that cube question

https://brilliant.org/problems/potential-of-a-conducting-cube/ Aniswar S K · 1 week, 6 days ago

@Spandan Senapati @Harsh Shrivastava @A E Sorry to Disturb

For us Differential Calculus got over.

Have you got any source for challenging problems??

I searched brilliant and mostly found integration problems! Aniswar S K · 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K For us even function is not over!!!!

BTW I guess there is an acute shortage of diferrential calculus problems ! Harsh Shrivastava · 1 week, 6 days ago

@Aniswar S K For us definite integration is over.So I solve integration ones from Ronak aggarwals feed.Differential calculus I too want some good source.I think harsh can help us better.some questions from ronaks feed are quite tough.do try them. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Sure. Lets see what harsh has got to say! Aniswar S K · 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati @Harsh Shrivastava Do u guys have any link to purcell electricity and magnetism 3rd Edition Solutions to exercises?? Aniswar S K · 2 weeks, 1 day ago

@Aniswar S K No dont I have .I don't know ifits available.But you can post them here . Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Like David morin's book solution or answers to exercises are unavailable.But you can post the questions here if you have any doubt. A E · 2 weeks, 1 day ago

@A E Thanks. I will post if i hav some doubts. Aniswar S K · 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati @Harsh Shrivastava Do you have a convincing proof of the following fact?

A point charge is placed inside a random cavity inside a conductor. Then the sum of the fields due to the point charge and the induced charges is zero for all the points outside the cavity.

I read Purcell. It is written that ' if we somehow remove the outer surface charge ' and then they proceed to prove the result which is fine, but how do you remove the outer surface charge in the first place?

If i assume on the contrary that the point charge and inner surface produce field inside a conductor, then this is not even a valid arrangement. We have to prove the fact. We are somehow assuming its true and then giving the proof.

Could you explain please??

It is confusing.! Aniswar S K · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Aniswar S K You probably didn't get the statement right perhaps.It means that the outer part is shielded from the inner.Means that the field due to the induced charges(here it means charges induced in the under surface not on the outer ones)+point charge is zero outside the vicinity of the conductor.Like take a very simple ex a point charge is placed at the centre of a spherical conductor then -q would be induced on the inner one and +q(if neutral on the outer one).Then the field due to -q(on the inner surface) and +q(point charge ) is quite clear to be zero for outside points(r>R).A similar argument says that the inner part is shielded from the outer.It means that the field at (r<R) is independent of the charges induced on the outer surface.Got it? Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Spandan Senapati @Spandan Senapati @Harsh Shrivastava @Aniswar S K. Can you all please help me in thîs question .https://brilliant.org/problems/gauss-law-2/.What is the dirac Delta function and what is its significance here ? A E · 2 weeks, 4 days ago

@A E I could have seen the q but the link isn't active in my phone.You know Greens Theorem(Divergence theorem)??That's a important theorem in vector calculus.Given a function we can calculate the divergence through(say a given volume )and this must equal the change thought he surface bounding it.Mathematically the integral \(\int \del .v(x,y,z) dV=S\int v.dA\).Here the second part denote a surface integral.But when the function falls as \(1/r^2\) something becomes fishy in terms of the integrals not being equal.For that we need Dirac delta function.Read any standard book on vector calculus and you will get it. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 4 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Sorry for disturbing ,but can you please tell me how do I solve questions related to parallel plate with moving plates.? A E · 2 weeks, 3 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Is it given in grîffiths ? A E · 2 weeks, 4 days ago

@A E Yes,Even even a more mathematical discussion if younwant then read Thomas Apostle(Multi variable calculus-vol-2).You will have it. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 4 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Thanks !! A E · 2 weeks, 4 days ago

@Spandan Senapati @Spandan Senapati Why the outer part is shielded from the inner part for all possible shapes of conductors and cavities? What argument we use to generalize from a sphere to any shape? Aniswar S K · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Aniswar S K Hey it makes use of Circulation theorem.But the proof of shielding for an empty cavity is quite beautifully explained in Feynman's lectures..Its quite simple and uses some apparent symmetry of positive and negative charges.Try to read it or if you don't have I will try to explain.OK? Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Thanks!!. I read about the proof for shielding in empty cavity from Feynman Lectures.! Aniswar S K · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Aniswar S K OK nice.I will read griffiths .let's see what it says..So that it becomes more clear. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Aniswar S K The charge distribution inside the cavitiy occurs in such a manner that center of charge of induced charge coincides with our point charge. This happens so that electric field inside conductor is zero. The cavity along with our charge thus does not affect outside world directly. Got it? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Hey harsh aren't we going along two different lines.The one which I studied makes use of circulation theorem and you say centre of charge.And if it coincides then the mathematical argument must hold(the one with the integral as I said earlier).And for a general cavity the distribution being arbitrary we can't go on to evaluate the integral right.So circulation seems to be a cleaner argument.Isn't it? Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Oh yes proving center of charge coinciding with +q is hell tedious. So the work done in round trip method is quite good. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Yes...And that's why coq as a concept isn't quite mentioned even in best books.there has to be symmetry to a great extent coupled with mathematical exactness. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Where can i read about Circulation Theorem? Aniswar S K · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Aniswar S K Itry electromagnetics by Griffith's.Better have some basics of Vector calculus.Thats surely gonna help. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Thanks!! Aniswar S K · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Aniswar S K Hey you qualified for Incho right.Can you tell what preparation is needed for chemistry Olympiad.I am gonna try to qualify it this time. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Spandan Senapati I mainly did Archive for first level.

For second level i was doing previous year incho papers, old icho papers and preparatory problems.

For some special topics in organic chemistry like sulphur, silicon and phosphorous; radical and carbenes, heterocycles, Clayden is good.

After seeing the inorganic questions i was stunned. Maybe they expect us to guess new reactions based on our knowledge.! Aniswar S K · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Aniswar S K Nice I too study clayden.Thats a great book.So you must have like known the key concepts beforehand...So inorganic was tough this year.I saw that deuterium q.The first few ones seemed essy .Involved a little of modern physics.But further oneones were comparatively difficult. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 4 days ago

@Spandan Senapati How much special theory of relativity should we know before reading Purcell magnetism?? Aniswar S K · 1 week ago

@Harsh Shrivastava My Sir also gave this explanation but didnt explicitly prove it .! Aniswar S K · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Aniswar S K I think that if the COQ was not coinciding then a PD may arise inside conductor which is bad thus they have to coincide. Is there any flaw in reasoning here ? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 weeks, 5 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava@Aniswar S K@A E.Do you guys have a smart solution for this problem "Conversion of Algebra To Geometry is an art".My method was quite lengthy although I got the and. Spandan Senapati · 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati How many tests in FIITJEE do you guys have? We have our first coming Monday and will probably have one in every 2 week.

@Spandan Senapati @A E @Aniswar S K Harsh Shrivastava · 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava We too have it this Monday A E · 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava We have abt 1 every week.Actually our course is on a full swing.So they prefer teaching more and sometimes we have tests.Now we are in Biomolecules(last chap of organic),Maths definiteint over physical magnetism abt to be over. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Good we arvery behind than you, in physics capacitors just started, in chem aldehydes started and in maths inverse trignometry abt to be started.

Hey let's post any good question if we come across in our tests OK? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Ya sure that's a good idea... Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@Spandan Senapati Oh I solved that long ago.Nice problem.H ow did you solved? I used Fermat point.

Whenever it comes for finding minimum distance inside triangle go for Fermat point. It is the point from where sum of distances to the sides is minimum. And here construct triangle with sides (0,0);(0,5);(12,0) and then find Fermat point which is the point such that <APB = <......=120°. I had a PDF which provided an awesome proof of it. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Yes I too used the concept of Fermat point but rather than finding the point I used cosine rule and a little manipulation. Spandan Senapati · 2 weeks, 6 days ago

@Spandan Senapati https://brilliant.org/profile/david-xee9sl/sets/gauss-law/37253/problem/more-gauss-practice-hard-2/ how to solve this?? Aniswar S K · 1 month ago

@Spandan Senapati - I got 66.75 in Aptitude test and 73.83 in Interview. The interview should have gone better!! Aniswar S K · 1 month, 2 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava.@Aniswar S K.What are your marks in Kvpy?...The marks are available now.I got 72.75 in aptitude and 87.71☺in interview.Net 76.49. Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati @Spandan Senapati do you know sarthak behra's marks? I got 69 in apt and 96.14 in interview Prathyush Poduval · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Prathyush Poduval Awesome interview bro! Harsh Shrivastava · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Thanks! Prathyush Poduval · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Prathyush Poduval Yes he got 82.5 in aptitude and abt 77in interview.Another friend of mine got 77.5 in aptitude and 78 in interview.She is air-17.Although that still amazes me how she got such a nice rank. Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati thanks for the ranks! I am planning on running some statistics on it. Why are you amazed by her rank? Prathyush Poduval · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Prathyush Poduval cause she herself agreed that she cheated from me.See our roll now are just consecutive.I didn't notice that as I was busy solving.And like she expected 55-60 in aptitude. Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati oh my..... thats quite bad Prathyush Poduval · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Prathyush Poduval This is the first time i am hearing someone getting >90 in interview . Well done Prakhar Bindal · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Prakhar Bindal @Prakhar Bindal Thank You! It was due to my interview I could get a very nice rank. Prathyush Poduval · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Prathyush Poduval Congrats...I am amazed by your interview score.To add a bit more to stats air-2 had 90 in aptitude test Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati me too. what are his interview marks (air 2)? Prathyush Poduval · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Prathyush Poduval I Don't know exact figures.Just aptitude marks I knew.AYou expected a top 50 rank BTW? Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati Not at all! I was expecting around 120-170 rank with my aptitude marks..... but the interview increased my marks by a huge amount Prathyush Poduval · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati Well congrats a pretty high score in interivew. Prakhar Bindal · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati Awesome bro!

I got 52.5 in aptitude and 63.2 in interview thus overall 54.99 (😢) if only I had one mark more... Harsh Shrivastava · 1 month, 2 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Dont worry dude. One of my friends didn't qualified last year . this year he is in top 50 Prakhar Bindal · 1 month, 1 week ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I really feel sorry for you....Just 0.01....Doesn't matter..go ahead.. you are gonna kill SX this yr. Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Why is induction due to point charge not considered here in this problem?

@Spandan Senapati @Aniswar S K @A E

This Problem Harsh Shrivastava · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava If that were to happen even then in symmetric distributions the net charge must be sigmaArea(for planar surface of course)If it induces charge On a certain surface then on any other it must be q and summing all these gives q.But unlike a spherical symmetry where the induction of charge would be symmetric the system given here might have different densities at diff point(if consider induction)and may be calculating the force becomes tedious by integration.So again physics is all assumptions that you make.For a sphere although using Image Charges is the most apparent way. Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava. Did you also have reshuffling test today??.What's your score.Chem answer key is incorrect in Mains.So haven't checked.So my marks Maths-106/120,Phy-96/120.Adv-Phy65/80,Math-60/80.Yours?? Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati We didn't had any.

How was the paper? tougher than previous? Harsh Shrivastava · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Fine.Mains Physics was good yes both Maths and Physics were tougher than previous ones.Chem answers were incorrect in Mains so I didn't check..Have the prev ones results been released.I visited the microsite but what's Blind School. Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati and @Harsh Shrivastava - do try this question

https://brilliant.org/problems/permutations-in-organic-chemistry/?ref_id=1343394 Aniswar S K · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Thank You very much @Harsh Shrivastava and @A E.

You will definitely qualify next year.!! Cheers. Aniswar S K · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Hope to do so. A E · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I could not qualify :(

Congrats @Spandan Senapati @Aniswar S K Harsh Shrivastava · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava No problem...Just chill...Better luck next time.SX is still there..No rejoicing for me as well.Have another reshuffling test on Sunday. Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati most probably i will come. What about you?? Aniswar S K · 1 month, 4 weeks ago

@Sarthak Behera.Great job buddy.You once again have made a stance... Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 4 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati, @Harsh Shrivastava My rank is 119. Aniswar S K · 1 month, 4 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Congrats for AIR 24 and Sarthak Behera AIR 4.. Aniswar S K · 1 month, 4 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Congrats to you as well...air 119 is great as well.You will come for Vijyoshi?? Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 4 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Congrats @Spandan Senapati and @Aniswar S K A E · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@A E Thanks lot... Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Do go there . Its worth going there . you will enjoy a lot and there will be fun + learning . Moreover your courses will be over by that time and only AITS Will be left hence no lose of fiitjee will be there. It was an unbelievable experience which i will cherish whole of my life Prakhar Bindal · 1 month, 4 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal Yes I will.Bhubaneswar is quite close to Kolkata.It takes abt 6 hrs in a train and 30-40 mins in flight. Spandan Senapati · 1 month, 4 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Cool Indigo took 2 hours while spice jet 2 hours 15 minutes from delhi .

Trains took a full day as due to fog in northern india trains were late by 12 hours :P Prakhar Bindal · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Could you please upload a solution to the seiche problem?? Aniswar S K · 2 months ago

Hey @Harsh Shrivastava.Did you also have batch reshuffling on 26th h.The one with a easiest phy in jee mains and a good jee advanced paper.Is it 1618 CRP ABC LOT RT-1??We had it.. Spandan Senapati · 2 months ago

@Spandan Senapati How much are you scoring, if you want answer keys, you may check Fiitjee Bhilai microsite, click on batch formation test result link and then proceed. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Yes we too have got the answer keys.Mine score 300(Mains)115/88/97(PCM).And 125(adv)(46/31/48)(PCM).Total 425(main+adv).What about you?? Spandan Senapati · 2 months ago

@Spandan Senapati I feel like few answers are given wrong. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Your chem adv is great....Although that was difficult..yes area are wrong.I found 3(main+adv).And the phy in mains was quite easy.Couldn't score full.:(And maths yes same. Spandan Senapati · 2 months ago

@Spandan Senapati I also commuted various mistakes in mains and in advanced, I lost 2 questions in maths due to my carelessness have to becareful next time.l Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months ago

@Spandan Senapati 271 in mains(102/75/94)

132 in adv(38/46/48)

Our scores in maths are quite same I have seen in many tests :P Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Did you ever get full marks in class 11 fiitjee exams..I got only twice in phy and NVR in maths and chem.. Spandan Senapati · 2 months ago

@Spandan Senapati I Guess this year's papers are coming harder .

Last year 3 people got 360/360 in reshuffling test. i didn't gave them.

The person who topped our centre got around 340 still his air was 20.

Similarly in advanced last year highest score was 198/210 and a friend got 160/210 and ended up with 100+ rank Prakhar Bindal · 2 months ago

@Prakhar Bindal As I said I got full score in physics mains(reshuffling class 11) and Advanced (70/70)in phase 1 and 115 abt 2 times.In Maths my highest is 111(phase 3).Chem not yet.... Spandan Senapati · 2 months ago

@Spandan Senapati For mains I had got full only in physics (phase 1 of 11th) and chemistry (11th class full test held in march last year) in 11th . although i got 115 maths in phase 3 of 11th. then in 12th in phase 4 got 120 in Maths finally :P .

In Advanced i have never got full in chem for obvious reasons :p . Most probably my highest score in chemistry advanced was like 84/100 in phase 5 :P

In Maths my highest score was 80/80 in phase 3 .

in physics i guess my highest is 76/80 in phase 3 .

In class 12th relatively papers became harder (especially phase tests) for preparing well for jee . i wont say about AITS . if someone scores even 30-35% in a subject in AITS he is well aware of all the concepts :p Prakhar Bindal · 2 months ago

@Spandan Senapati Never :( Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months ago

@Spandan Senapati Yeah we too had that paper. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months ago

@Harsh Shrivastava It wasn't a sort of reshuffling for the CMP(batch-1)We had been told to appear only.Ours reshuffling is for the general batches and CMP(batch-2).And another one is on 2nd April.Isn't it? Spandan Senapati · 2 months ago

@Spandan Senapati @Harsh Shrivastava what are your Aiits-4 ranks?? Mine is 114. Have to improve little next time. Aniswar S K · 2 months ago

When are the kvpy results coming Aniswar S K · 2 months ago

@Aniswar S K My friend told that his father had called kvpy office and they told its most probably to come out on 2nd April...Delay is a bit clear to me as in our interviews they had not collected the mark sheet.Some had to send them later(including me)...So abt a week or so to go.... Spandan Senapati · 2 months ago

@Prakhar Bindal @Spandan Senapati @A E @Aniswar S K

This may be useful to you.Past year aits papers.

http://jeewizard.blogspot.in/2015/01/fiitjee-aits-2015-all-sets-of-question.html Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 1 week ago

How is TMH for maths?

@Prakhar Bindal Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 1 week ago

@Harsh Shrivastava My views are

Algebra- AWESOME Simply awesome you can't get a better book than this

Coordinate geometry- too easy . definitely not of advanced level (especially conics straight lines and circles are too good but conics sucks in this book)

Calculus - Not too good . Arihant is too better

Vector 3D- Personally not tried it Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 1 week ago

@Prakhar Bindal I ordered this book bcoz my coordinate is not strong.So what do you use for coordinate geometry? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 1 week ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I Would recommend SK Goyal's Coordinate geometry Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 1 week ago

@Spandan Senapati I don't think the bead is fixed it can move Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@shubham dhull how was physics? Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal It was good . I Cant say about marks at all . Semiconductors was a bit bad . expecting for the best . 2nd april is a big day JEE Mains!! Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal acha bhai bye , meri physics hi thik h math me fatti pdi h pre-bord me 60 no. the , uski tyari krni h atleast 90-95 ke aas-ps to phuch hi jaoonga padke jauhga too.. best of luck bro Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal thik ti yaar aimed for 100, itni zabardast tyari ti , fir bi 95-98 aage to mei bhut khush hu , teri ? Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Shubham Dhull mera pre-board mei isse acha hua tha fir bi 67.5/70 aaye te considering bord ki checking 95 to aa jane chiye bhai. bas 1 glat hoga last Q , mhuje usme doubt h bataeo bhai :) Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati I am sorry for underestimating the question! Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K No problem.Take your time and if you do by force method it will be good as well..That is indeed a tough fluid mech question..... Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati For that Seiche question. i tried like this when you displace by z (net pulling force)/ mass = acceleration. a= 2 z bh g/ lbh = 2zg/l T = 2pi/w=2* 3.14* (70000/2*10) ^ 0.5 = 6.19 minutes What is the mistake?? Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K You can refer the book by AP French(MIT Introductory Physics Course). Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K And in systems as such its better to make use of energy conservation..And this question needs some more thinking.Let me give some hints(1-Eq of continuity 2)Co amputation of potential and kinetic energy of system(integrals).Force method is useful in systems where you are able to predict the behaviour of forces,their magnitudes etc.And here it will be quite apparent that analysing forces isn't quite easy.... Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava Shouldnt R be equal to sqrt2 r?? Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K That's a upper bound that you can restrict the ration to be.But we need the best bounds.And that won't be possible for this process must be accompanied by some net heat exchange(Or else just a sort of ideal process.Violation of 2nd law). Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Why is the answer 2.674 Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K I think it is correct.What are you getting? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati @Aniswar S K @A E

Problem

I have posted a problem, do try it and verify weather it is correct or not. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava What did you mean by best bound? Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Ya I solved it.Rather put me first into thinking why T and P have not been given.But the question needs some cold analogy.Good.BTW You said to post some Mech q.I have posted 2 Fluids q...Try them esp the one "Seiche".That is something that we witness everyday but don't put into maths. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Hey in that utube question,can u plz attach a diagram? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Harsh Shrivastava I am unable to do that despite your telling me Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Thanks! Will try your ques. Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati -- in that 65th question how to relate the rate of increase of temperature and speed of piston?? i tried something like PdV + VdP = nRdT. dV=Adx & dP=kdx/A since P=kx/A. and then divide both sides by dt. but then i am not getting that 3/8 in the answer. Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Hey there is a thing that the piston is nt massless so Weca t equate the forces perhaps. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K For 64 make use of the fact that the max theoretical increment in temperature accounts for the increase in internal energy =Increment in potential energy so \(nCv(T-To)=Mgh\) and \(nRTo=(p+∆p)V\).It's a valid supposition that initially the Tempnof the air inside is \(To\) Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

For finding the height should we use (PV ^ γ) = constant ?? Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati - Yah i got it now. First i considered even atmospheric pressure thats why i got some extra variables. Thanks. Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Did u solve?? Advanced Problems in School Physics Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Ya I s just saw and solved q 65.That's quite easy.Use conservation of energy for the entire system.We can find out the height h(but that would involve solving some hell weird exp) So they indirectly gave that h.And the other thing is simple the exp of the gas is adiabatic.Most of the qseem to be from energy conservation Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

https://plus.google.com/+AniswarSK/posts/X2voKbB5pEx Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati @Harsh Shrivastava can you try these out?? Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

https://plus.google.com/+AniswarSK/posts/BbvETFvttbe Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K From which books are these questions from?

Are you on Google hangouts? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Link is not opening, what is it? Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati are you in slack?? Aniswar S K · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K No I am not active in any forum. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 2 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati which Allen exams did u write?? Are they at a better level these aiits Aniswar S K · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Guys try this * Q https://brilliant.org/problems/all-mixed-up/?ref_id=1331154 Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Hey @Aniswar S K,@Harsh Shrivastava.I got to know that we can intact challenge the answer keys online by creating an account so.Let me check Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati www.fiitjeelogin.com then go to test performance Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati yep you can i had done it many many times in class 11 Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Around 105 For waves and heat transfer is not over. Aniswar S K · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Is the bottom most point the instantaneous centre of rotation?? If so shouldn't we consider torque of pseudo force?? Aniswar S K · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Exactly you got it right.There is an acceleration \(w^2R\)so we need to apply a pseudo torque as well. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I saw this problem in GMP https://brilliant.org/problems/roll-and-roll/ Aniswar S K · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Even I knew the answer.Quite easy.either write energy or differentiate or take torques about instantaneous centre of rotation.Rather taking the torques about the ICOR is short.Another approach would be to draw the fbds.and then take torques about individuals centre of mass Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Well i haven't solved GMP Yet but its from my CPP And hence i even remembered the answer to the problem! :P Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati I am getting around 57 in kvpy stage 1. And I know Siddharth Sridhar. We were in same institute last year. How did you come to know him?? Aniswar S K · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Aniswar S K Allen champ.Even I had been nominated but I was not in top 10.But he has a good record in Allen champ. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal.@shubham dhull.@Aniket Sanghi.@Harsh Shrivastava.@A E.@Aniswar S K.Hey guys I am getting a different and .what are you getting????https://brilliant.org/problems/charge-redistribution/.For a simplistic version try the IPHO 2010 Theoritical problem 1. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati It seem all of us are quite habitual to this habit of silly errors. i too lost many points in AITS Open test due to my negligence and of course my laziness. What happened was i did physics pretty good which i attempt first (score 48/62) then got into chem . clean bowled didn't knew many Multi corrects . due to this made a bubbling error (4 marks puff!) . Then switched to maths again did well (43/62) . then came to chem at last . i could have scored easily upto 32/62 but got only 15 due to my silly errors and my laziness (i didn't got a nice sleep last night and hence slept from 12 pm to 12:30 pm in paper 1) :P (paper was from 9:30 to 12:30) . but somehow i came over this sleepiness and managed to remain awake whole paper 2 :P Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal I don't feel sleepy......☺☺☺ Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Good you know i am lazy sometimes but i cant help it . Neend aati hai to aati hai main kya karun :P Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal Sach main....Bhai Jee main mat sona.....pichle din sleep well. Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati Yep i will take care before JEE . If not I My mother will of course :P Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal lol of course , bro slack pe kb aayega ? Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Shubham Dhull After 21st May Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal well i hope we wouldn't need it after advanced , we may land in the same IIT :P Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Shubham Dhull We can just work . Almighty will give us what we deserve . Hope so! Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal indirectly saying you don't deserve it :P Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Shubham Dhull Well i am somewhat philosophical guy .if i have worked hard and i deserve it i will certainly land there Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal i am somewhat philosophical guy too ...aur wo line mere liye thi naki tere liye (of-course u r in better condition than me now.) i meant to say that i need to work hard to reach ur level. Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal I feel sleepy in second paper many times :P Harsh Shrivastava · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal And hence even being paper 2 was tougher than paper 1 i scored more in it . :p

From that day i have decided before any major test i will sleep max by 11 pm Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal bhai tune computers le rka h ya physical ? Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Shubham Dhull Physical education Prakhar Bindal · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Prakhar Bindal maine computers le rhka h, mri pdi h :P Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Spandan Senapati tell quickly i need togo .. Shubham Dhull · 2 months, 3 weeks ago

@Shubham Dhull Although I solved that IPHO one .This one I got \(U=-kq^2/2(R/d)(1/R-1/d^2-R^2)\) Spandan Senapati · 2 months, 3 weeks ago