Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Organic Chemistry #1

So firstly, in organic chemistry... There are compounds which are complex/time consuming to write using the full form of the Lewis Dot Structure. So we chemists, (Lol, I'm not a chemist.) tend to shorten it by simply drawing lines.

Like so...

Propane

Propane

That is propane or C\(_3\)H\(_8\). Some of you maybe thinking, how is that propane?

Simply, we assume that all the vertices are carbons. And if there are no specific bonds to those vertices then we assume that the carbons are bonded to hydrogens. And remember, a carbon atom can have up to four bonds.

So now, using those two assumptions... Here we have the expanded propane.

expanded propane.

expanded propane.

Now notice, it is indeed C\(_3\)H\(_8\).

The reason why we shorten it is because when it gets to more complex compounds. It would be tiresome to draw all the lines and etc.

So this is how organic chemists write compounds in these shortened form of the Lewis Dot Structure. Soon, I shall get into the nomenclature of compounds and the functional groups.

If you have any questions, comments, queries etc. Feel free to comment. ^^ Well, that was quite short. Hahha...

Note by Vishnuram Leonardodavinci
3 years, 1 month ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

It would be even better if you posted some pictures as well, just saying. Anish Puthuraya · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Anish Puthuraya Yeah, I added the pictures in the links. (y) Vishnuram Leonardodavinci · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Vishnuram Leonardodavinci My paint skills aren't that great though. Sorry. ~_~ Vishnuram Leonardodavinci · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Vishnuram Leonardodavinci Not as a link, but a picture which shows on this very page itself. Anish Puthuraya · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Anish Puthuraya Ah, I'm sorry. I... don't know how to post more than 1 picture. :-| I apologise. Vishnuram Leonardodavinci · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Vishnuram Leonardodavinci ![alt text](the link)

Just type it as it is without the ""_"". Also, replace ""the link" with the actual link of your image. Anish Puthuraya · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Anish Puthuraya Oh thank you! ^^ Vishnuram Leonardodavinci · 3 years, 1 month ago

what is tollen's reagent? Trilochan Nayak · 2 years, 3 months ago

how do we write the structural formula of tnt? Ripunjay Singh · 2 years, 3 months ago

How would we draw Glycerol ? Thank You in advance. (Some pictures would be helpful) Priyansh Sangule · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Priyansh Sangule Alright, so this is glycerol

Glycerol

Glycerol

What do we see? 3 carbons \(/Rightarrow\) a drawing with 3 vertices.

We ignore the hydrogens but... we have to explicitly state the hydroxide groups below.

And all the carbons have 4 bonds so, we can just draw 3 vertices with hydroxide sticking out.

Like so,

Glycerol short

Glycerol short

. Vishnuram Leonardodavinci · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Vishnuram Leonardodavinci Ooh Thanx ;) Priyansh Sangule · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Vishnuram Leonardodavinci /Rightarrow, ahah sorry. Meant to do this... Used forward slash. \(\Rightarrow\) Vishnuram Leonardodavinci · 3 years, 1 month ago

Good one from the master painter! Soham Dibyachintan · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Soham Dibyachintan Why thank you, ^^ Vishnuram Leonardodavinci · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Vishnuram Leonardodavinci The answer is as straight and simple as the road to the parish church, Leonardo da Vinci was a master painter and a genius. Soham Dibyachintan · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Soham Dibyachintan Indeed. ^^ Vishnuram Leonardodavinci · 3 years, 1 month ago

@Vishnuram Leonardodavinci He was also a science geek. Soham Dibyachintan · 3 years, 1 month ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...