Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Parallel lines

They say that parallel lines would never meet? I beg to differ. React to this statement by posting your reasons below. Let's see the best one.

Note by Astro Enthusiast
2 years, 7 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

One concrete example for this can be the horizon, where the land and sky appear to meet. But they never meet until infinity. Eshan Abbas · 2 years, 7 months ago

@Eshan Abbas Good example. Mine is related to this :) Astro Enthusiast · 2 years, 7 months ago

My friend told me that one example are the longitudes. :) When we are in our elementary years, they are defined as vertical imaginary lines. Next thing we know is where they meet ;) Astro Enthusiast · 2 years, 7 months ago

It is not necessary that parallel lines must be straight, they are the line which maintain equal distance between them. Now, think of a situation where parallel lines are moving on a triangle/circle then they will definitely meet each other at some point. Shivam Jindal · 2 years, 7 months ago

Parallel lines are meet at infinite. :-) ... Proof -: when we see sky and land, it seems to be meet each other at infinite Narpat Singh · 2 years, 6 months ago

. It is impossible that parallel lines will be meet ,because of their equal slopes.Lines will intersect ,if they are unequal slope. Edsel Salariosa · 2 years, 7 months ago

definition of parallel lines says that parallel lines are straight lines.so there is no probabilities that they would meet somewhere. Vrushali Bunde · 2 years, 7 months ago

Well, parallel lines are considered to meet at infinity. So, if you can reach infinity, which I presume is not much easy a job, you watch them meet. :) Satyarthi Mishra · 2 years, 7 months ago

@Satyarthi Mishra Yes, that is true. However, can you think of a concrete example which can prove the intersection of parallel lines? :) Astro Enthusiast · 2 years, 7 months ago

@Astro Enthusiast Sky and land... Narpat Singh · 2 years, 6 months ago

@Astro Enthusiast I think A railway track is like a parallel line but they will intersect at various place generally naerer to station Sourabh Sah · 2 years, 7 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...