Parallel lines

They say that parallel lines would never meet? I beg to differ. React to this statement by posting your reasons below. Let's see the best one.

Note by Astro Enthusiast
6 years, 5 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

• Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

• bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

Parallel lines are meet at infinite. :-) ... Proof -: when we see sky and land, it seems to be meet each other at infinite

Narpat Singh - 6 years, 4 months ago

. It is impossible that parallel lines will be meet ,because of their equal slopes.Lines will intersect ,if they are unequal slope.

EDSEL SALARIOSA - 6 years, 5 months ago

My friend told me that one example are the longitudes. :) When we are in our elementary years, they are defined as vertical imaginary lines. Next thing we know is where they meet ;)

Astro Enthusiast - 6 years, 5 months ago

It is not necessary that parallel lines must be straight, they are the line which maintain equal distance between them. Now, think of a situation where parallel lines are moving on a triangle/circle then they will definitely meet each other at some point.

shivam jindal - 6 years, 5 months ago

definition of parallel lines says that parallel lines are straight lines.so there is no probabilities that they would meet somewhere.

vrushali bunde - 6 years, 5 months ago

One concrete example for this can be the horizon, where the land and sky appear to meet. But they never meet until infinity.

Eshan Abbas - 6 years, 5 months ago

Good example. Mine is related to this :)

Well, parallel lines are considered to meet at infinity. So, if you can reach infinity, which I presume is not much easy a job, you watch them meet. :)

Satyarthi Mishra - 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes, that is true. However, can you think of a concrete example which can prove the intersection of parallel lines? :)

Sky and land...

Narpat Singh - 6 years, 4 months ago

I think A railway track is like a parallel line but they will intersect at various place generally naerer to station

Sourabh Sah - 6 years, 5 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...