Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Perception and Maths

Bow tie

Bow tie

What do you see; a Bow tie ? right? so see this:



does it look like infinity? ( I am not so good at editing so you might have to look carefully)

Another picture:



I know it is theta, but doesn't it look like a circle with its diameter!!

Read this sentence :

How Calvin and Agnishom talk over the net from different places in the world fascinates me!

Did you notice the word "net"?

Here the word net means the Internet but net also means a fish net or a spider's net!!

So this goes as follows:

  • Net=Internet......(1)

  • Net=Fish net......(2)

so this would imply Internet =Fishnet!!

Doesn't that sound weird?

Actually this was a conversation between me and my friend whom I call 15.

Well the above equation can also be tried by replacing net with net with total as net also means total.

So don't you now think that synonyms are actually our perspectives with which we see different words?

Now coming to Homophones .Take any two words which are Homophones and now think differently . Aren't they also based on Perception?

Existence is also based on Persistence .

For example devil

We may or may not believe in the existence of devil because of our way of seeing this world.

If one believes that the Mythological stories are true incidents so you will believe in the existence of devils

Here is a conversation between me and my friend 496

> Me:Do you believe in devils ?

> 496:I cannot say

>Me:Why can't you say?

>496: Because it depends....

"It depends" It is also based on our perception Not only It depends; but the words like maybe or medium also point that this whole world is based on perception.

For making you to understand better I will take the word medium as an example

Consider a glass whose water level is medium . This medium can also mean half empty or half full or you can even say that the size of the glass is twice that of it should have been to make it full.(confused!!??)



When I was small I was taught that the sun rises in the east but later I was told that the sun remains fixed instead the Earth itself rotates around the sun!!

This changed my perception

Now coming to free will,I agree that we all need free will to survive but we must admit that our will is largely dependent on the situation

Joke time!!

A:What would be the symbol of idea if no bulb was invented?

B:A candle !! :)





It was a joke but is the concept wrong?

Think it over again !!

Look at this picture



Samosa 's: But I don't see them as food. Look again !

Don't they look like Triangles placed on a plate with chutney?

P.S: I am not going for complex shapes

Again a conversation between me and my friend Chlamydomonas

> Me:What's up?

>Chlamydomonas :Sky

Surprised? Think it again .My friend was just answering the question "what is up?"

I think my friend was standing /sitting under the sky so replied Sky!!

And he was right

This also brought a change in my perception

Another day Chlamydomonas told me to define good

and my answer was good = \(g \times o \times o \times d\)

Was my answer wrong?

Now coming to the universal language aka love

A conversation (sorry if you are feeling bored because of the conversations)

> Me: We can relate everything with maths

> 15: Oh , really? so how can you relate love to maths?

>Me: Don't you calculate love percentage . There you go !!

P.S: The conversations were just for example

A special thanks to my friends 496, 15 , bobbym and Agnishom

SUMMING UP: Don' t just blindly believe on what others say or accept anything that is famous in being accepting.Think it for yourself and then take the action . The whole world is based on perception it is you who decides how to see this world . It's your wish whether you want to see this world through the eyes of maths or something else . Open your eyes and see the world in a new way !!

NOTE: After reading this note many may think that what is its connection with maths. A message to them it is again about perception. It depends on you how you take it

Note by Arna Mondal
2 years ago

No vote yet
1 vote


Sort by:

Top Newest

For some reason, I love Samosae. I have evidence that Obama came to India in 2009 just because he did not know how Indians put Aloo in Samosae even though all the four ends are blocked.

It is an well written article and you have made good efforts. I will ask you some more questions about this tomorrow.

@arna mondal

P. S: That is not what I meant by free will. Neither you nor she got it. Agnishom Chattopadhyay · 2 years ago

Log in to reply

@Agnishom Chattopadhyay evidence...!!?? do u mean that u were at the same shop when he was learning that!!?? haha!! :D Vibhav Agarwal · 2 years ago

Log in to reply

@Agnishom Chattopadhyay But now I got it though I don't know about her Arna Mondal · 2 years ago

Log in to reply

This article changed my perception Archit Boobna · 1 year, 11 months ago

Log in to reply

@Archit Boobna Thank you for reading my article and I am glad that I was able to change your perception Arna Mondal · 1 year, 11 months ago

Log in to reply

Perception? J states that he is a scientist. He believes in only what he can see, hear and feel. Then he goes out into the wilderness and observes something that he has not seen before. He hears and feels it but he refuses to believe it. Why? Because that he exclaims is impossible. He denies his senses because of his preconceived notions about what is real and what is not. These preconceived notions are like programmed instructions, given to us when we are young and open to them. So you see we can not view the world differently. We can not change and just say it is something else. We have already fixed it into one small box of what we will accept and what we will not. Bobbym None · 2 years ago

Log in to reply

@Bobbym None Neo could do it. Agnishom Chattopadhyay · 2 years ago

Log in to reply

@bobbym none : Check this out!

@Calvin Lin : Wow! Your notes have fascinated her (and me too) . Agnishom Chattopadhyay · 2 years ago

Log in to reply

Nice efforts really!!! Kuldeep Sachan · 11 months, 1 week ago

Log in to reply


Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...