Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Please help!

A fair dice is rolled 6 times and the outcomes are listed.The probability that the list contains exactly 3 numbers is?\[\]I am getting 25/108 but the answer given in the book is 5/108.

Note by Adarsh Kumar
1 year, 12 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

I'm getting the same answer as you. 5/108 just seems too low, since it is most likely that you will end up with 3 numbers. Brian Charlesworth · 1 year, 12 months ago

@Brian Charlesworth Oh!Thank you sir!I am relieved!sigh Adarsh Kumar · 1 year, 12 months ago

The correct answer according to me too is \(\frac{25}{108}\). So the answer given in the book is provided wrong. Sandeep Bhardwaj · 1 year, 12 months ago

@Sandeep Bhardwaj How did you get this answer sir? Adarsh Kumar · 1 year, 12 months ago

@Adarsh Kumar Select the three no. first i.e \(\binom{6}{3}=20\) . then getting exactly three no. in the list is equivalent to Permutation of 6 distinct objects into 3 distinct boxes so that no box remains empty i.e. \(3^6-\binom{3}{1} \times 2^6 +\binom{3}{2} \times 1^6=540\).

So required probability=\(\dfrac{20 \times 540}{6^6}=\dfrac{25}{108}\) Sandeep Bhardwaj · 1 year, 12 months ago

@Sandeep Bhardwaj Same thing sir!Thank u! Adarsh Kumar · 1 year, 12 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...