Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Please help

An image of small size can be obtained on a screen placed at 2.0 m from object. It can be done by using:

(A) concave mirror of focal length 0.5 m
(B) concave mirror of focal length greater than 0.5 m
(C) concave mirror of focal length less than 0.5 m
(D) concave lens of focal length less than 0.5 m.

Can you provide a good solution for this? Thank you

Note by Sahba Hasan
1 year, 8 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

@Calvin Lin , @Nihar Mahajan , @Jake Lai ... Please help... Sahba Hasan · 1 year, 8 months ago

What have you tried? What do you know? Calvin Lin Staff · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Calvin Lin I know that option D is not true because a concave lens won't produce an image which can be obtained on a screen, i.e it won't produce a real image. The things which i can't figure out are the three options left. In the question the object distance is not given. 2.0 m is mere distance of screen from the object, i.e. image from the object.

How can i figure out the focal length of the mirror? Sahba Hasan · 1 year, 8 months ago

B will be the option as in that case, the object will be placed between centre of curvature and focal length. Since the object is placed at 2 m away from the mirror, and it has to be in between Curvature and focus. The centre of curvature therefore should be greater than 2 m which makes focal length automatically greater than 0.5 m. Abhay Tiwari · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Abhay Tiwari You got it wrong @Abhay Tiwari ...The object distance is not given, the distance of the image from the object is given. Sahba Hasan · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Sahba Hasan Still the answer remains B :p Abhay Tiwari · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Abhay Tiwari I can't understand how...@Abhay Tiwari ... Sahba Hasan · 1 year, 8 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...