Probability

Mr. X. Marketing director for ABC film production believes that the studio upcoming firm has a 70% chance of being hit, a 20% chance of being moderate and 10% chance of being a flop. To test his opinion Mr. .X organized two screenings. After each screening, the audience rates the film on a scale of 1 and 5 stars. From the past long experience it is known that a hit film will receive 4 or 5 stars 65% of the time,30% of the time it will receives 2 or 3 stars and 5% of the time it will receive ratings of 1 star. For the moderately successful film, the respective probabilities are 0.30,0.50 and 0.20 for flop. The respective probabilities are 0.10, 0.40 and 0.50 the results of two screening tests are independent of each other. Required :

a) If the first screening produces a score of 3 stars, what is the probability that a film is hit?

b) If the screening test produces a score of 3 stars and the second screening results in a score of 1 stars, what is the probability that a film is flop?.

Note by Nazir Shaban
3 years, 3 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

  Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

  • Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

  • bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

  1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

    print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

There are no comments in this discussion.

×

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...