Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Problem

What is \(\dfrac d{dx}(x!)\)?

Note by Shubham Dhull
4 weeks, 1 day ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

Gamma function \(\Gamma (1+x) = x!\). \(\implies \dfrac d{dx}x! = \dfrac d{dx} \Gamma (1+x) = \Gamma' (1+x) \). As digamma function is defined as: \(\psi (z) = \dfrac d{dz} \ln \Gamma (z) = \dfrac {\Gamma' (z)}{\Gamma (z)} \). \(\implies \dfrac d{dx}x! = \Gamma' (1+x) = \Gamma (1+x) \psi (1+x)\). Chew-Seong Cheong · 4 weeks, 1 day ago

@Chew-Seong Cheong okay thanks sir Shubham Dhull · 4 weeks ago

@Shubham Dhull I think there is no closed form for \(\dfrac d{dx}x!\), that is why we use digamma function. Chew-Seong Cheong · 4 weeks ago

@Chew-Seong Cheong okay... i was thinking why there was a need of new function just to define d/dx of gamma function. now i understand it ! Shubham Dhull · 4 weeks ago

@Shubham Dhull I actually used Wolfram Alpha to check \(\dfrac d{dx}x!\), it gave the same result involving \(\psi(x)\). Check here. Chew-Seong Cheong · 4 weeks ago

@Shubham Dhull \( \text{ Gamma function is not in the syllabus of IIT Advanced } \\ \text{ The function is defined as } \Gamma{(1+x)}=\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-t}t^{x} dt \\ \text{For integer values of x the value of integral is } \Gamma{(1+x)}=x! \) Sambhrant Sachan · 4 weeks ago

@Sambhrant Sachan The motivation of the invention by Euler of \(\Gamma (z)\) is to extend factorial beyond the integers. It connects the integer factorials in a smooth curve. Chew-Seong Cheong · 4 weeks ago

@Sambhrant Sachan yes you are right * but * some questions can be easily solved using gamma and beta functions also i did'nt knew the thing i asked was related to gamma or digamma function , i asked purely out of curiosity as i thought of it in my leisure time. Shubham Dhull · 4 weeks ago

Thanks @Chew-Seong Cheong and @Sambhrant Sachan for stopping by and helping me with my problem , plz keep supporting. Shubham Dhull · 4 weeks ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...