Quantum Computing 1 -- The qubit

The qubit is the smallest storage unit in the quantum computer and represents the simplest nontrivial quantum system. The qubit can assume one of two distinguishable states. These eigenstates of the qubit are denoted by 0| 0 \rangle and 1| 1 \rangle and correspond to the two setting possibilities of a classical bit. They can also be represented as two-dimensional unit vectors 0=(10),1=(01)|0\rangle = \left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right), \quad |1\rangle = \left( \begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 1 \end{array} \right) In contrast to the classical bit, the qubit can also assume a superposition of the states 0| 0 \rangle and 1| 1 \rangle . The general state ψ| \psi \rangle of the qubit is therefore a linear combination of the two eigenstates ψ=α0+β1=(αβ),α,βC |\psi\rangle = \alpha |0\rangle + \beta |1 \rangle = \left( \begin{array}{c} \alpha \\ \beta \end{array} \right), \quad \alpha, \beta \in \mathbb{C} The vectors 0| 0 \rangle and 1| 1 \rangle thus form a basis of the vector space. The state ψ| \psi \rangle is characterized by the two complex numbers α\alpha and β\beta .

If the qubit is in such a superposition and you take a measurement, you get a random result. The probability of finding the qubit in the state 0| 0 \rangle or 1| 1 \rangle is proportional to the absolute square α2| \alpha | ^ 2 or β2| \beta | ^ 2 of the respective pre-factor. After the measurement, the qubit is in one of the eigenstates 0| 0 \rangle or 1| 1 \rangle , so that the information about the original state is lost (wave function collapse)

before measurement:ψ=α0+β1after measurement:ψ={0with probability α2α2+β21with probability β2α2+β2 \begin{aligned} \text{before measurement:} & & |\psi \rangle &= \alpha |0 \rangle + \beta |1\rangle \\ \text{after measurement:} & & |\psi'\rangle &= \begin{cases} |0 \rangle & \text{with probability } \frac{|\alpha|^2}{|\alpha|^2 + |\beta|^2} \\ |1 \rangle & \text{with probability } \frac{|\beta|^2}{|\alpha|^2 + |\beta|^2} \end{cases} \end{aligned} Usually, state vectors will be normalized (i.e. α2+β2=1| \alpha | ^ 2 + | \beta | ^ 2 = 1 ), so the probabilities for the states 0| 0 \rangle and 1| 1 \rangle are given directly by absolute squares α2| \alpha | ^ 2 and β2| \beta | ^ 2 . In addition, a phase factor can be chosen freely, so that the qubit can be described by two real numbers θ\theta and φ\varphi: ψ=cosθ20+eiφsinθ21|\psi\rangle = \cos \frac{\theta}{2} |0\rangle + e^{i \varphi} \sin \frac{\theta}{2}|1\rangle If one interprets these numbers θ\theta and φ\varphi as angles, the qubit can be represented as a point on a sphere surface (Bloch sphere).

A qubit in the normalized state ψ=320+121|\psi\rangle = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} |0\rangle + \frac{1}{2} |1\rangle is measured. What are the probabilities of the two different outcomes 0| 0 \rangle and 1| 1 \rangle ?


0 with probability 322=34=75%,1 with probability 122=14=25% \begin{aligned} |0\rangle & \quad \text{ with probability } \left|\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right|^2 = \frac{3}{4} = 75\,\%,\\ |1\rangle & \quad \text{ with probability } \left|\frac{1}{2}\right|^2 = \frac{1}{4} = 25\,\% \end{aligned}

Conclusion: The state of a qubit is described by a two-dimensional vector, so that a qubit contains much more information than a classical bit. However, if the qubit is read out, most information is deleted, so that the result is only one of the two states 0| 0 \rangle or 1| 1 \rangle . The readable part of the quantum information therefore only corresponds to one classical bit. However, the full quantum information be can used for quantum operations, as we will see later.

Note by Markus Michelmann
1 year, 4 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

  Easy Math Editor

This discussion board is a place to discuss our Daily Challenges and the math and science related to those challenges. Explanations are more than just a solution — they should explain the steps and thinking strategies that you used to obtain the solution. Comments should further the discussion of math and science.

When posting on Brilliant:

  • Use the emojis to react to an explanation, whether you're congratulating a job well done , or just really confused .
  • Ask specific questions about the challenge or the steps in somebody's explanation. Well-posed questions can add a lot to the discussion, but posting "I don't understand!" doesn't help anyone.
  • Try to contribute something new to the discussion, whether it is an extension, generalization or other idea related to the challenge.
  • Stay on topic — we're all here to learn more about math and science, not to hear about your favorite get-rich-quick scheme or current world events.

MarkdownAppears as
*italics* or _italics_ italics
**bold** or __bold__ bold

- bulleted
- list

  • bulleted
  • list

1. numbered
2. list

  1. numbered
  2. list
Note: you must add a full line of space before and after lists for them to show up correctly
paragraph 1

paragraph 2

paragraph 1

paragraph 2

[example link](https://brilliant.org)example link
> This is a quote
This is a quote
    # I indented these lines
    # 4 spaces, and now they show
    # up as a code block.

    print "hello world"
# I indented these lines
# 4 spaces, and now they show
# up as a code block.

print "hello world"
MathAppears as
Remember to wrap math in \( ... \) or \[ ... \] to ensure proper formatting.
2 \times 3 2×3 2 \times 3
2^{34} 234 2^{34}
a_{i-1} ai1 a_{i-1}
\frac{2}{3} 23 \frac{2}{3}
\sqrt{2} 2 \sqrt{2}
\sum_{i=1}^3 i=13 \sum_{i=1}^3
\sin \theta sinθ \sin \theta
\boxed{123} 123 \boxed{123}

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

I hope to see more additions to the series :)

Agnishom Chattopadhyay Staff - 1 year, 4 months ago

Log in to reply

After almost two weeks break there is non a sequel to this series with a new chapter. I hope you like it :D

Markus Michelmann - 1 year, 4 months ago

Log in to reply

×

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...