Excel in math and science
Master concepts by solving fun, challenging problems.
It's hard to learn from lectures and videos
Learn more effectively through short, interactive explorations.
Used and loved by over 6 million people
Learn from a vibrant community of students and enthusiasts,
including olympiad champions, researchers, and professionals.
- An airplane accelerates down a runway at 3.20 m/s2 for 32.8 s until is finally lifts off the ground.
Determine the distance traveled before takeoff.
- A car starts from rest and accelerates uni formly over a time of 5.21 seconds for a distance of 110
Upton Chuck is riding the Giant Drop at Great America. If Upton free falls for 2.6 seconds, what
will be his final velocity and how far will he fall?
- A race car accelerates uni formly from 18.5 m/s to 46.1 m/s in 2.47 seconds. Determine the
acceleration of the car and the distance traveled.
- A feather is dropped on the moon from a height of 1.40 meters. The acceleration of gravity on the
moon is 1.67 m/s2. Determine the time for the feather to fall to the surface of the moon.
- Rocket-powered sleds are used to test the human response to acceleration. If a rocket -powered
sled is accelerated to a speed of 444 m/s in 1.8 seconds, then what is the acceleration and what
is the distance that the sled travels?
- A bike accelerates uniformly from rest to a speed of 7.10 m/s over a distance of 35.4 m.
Determine the acceleration of the bike.
- An engineer is designing the runway for an airport. Of the planes that will use the airport, the
lowest acceleration rate is likely to be 3 m/s2. The takeoff speed for this plane will be 65 m/s.
Assuming this minimum acceleration, what is the minimum allowed length for the runway ?
- A car traveling at 22.4 m/s skids to a stop in 2.55 s. Determine the skidding distance of the car
(assume uniform acceleration).
- A kangaroo is capable of jumping to a height of 2.62 m. Determine the takeoff speed of the
- If Michael Jordan has a vertical leap of 1.29 m, then what is his takeoff speed and his hang time
(total time to move upwards to the peak and then return to the ground)?
- A bullet leaves a ri fle with a muzzle velocity of 521 m/s. While accelerating through the barrel of
the rifle, the bullet moves a distance of 0.840 m. Determine the acceleration of the bullet (assume
a uni form acceleration).
- A baseball is popped straight up into the ai r and has a hang-time of 6.25 s. Determine the height
to which the ball rises before it reaches its peak. (Hint: the time to rise to the peak is one-hal f the
- The observation deck of tall skyscraper 370 m above the street. Determine the time required for a
penny to free fall from the deck to the street below.
- A bullet is moving at a speed of 367 m/s when it embeds into a lump of moist clay. The bullet
penetrates for a distance of 0.0621 m. Determine the acceleration of the bullet while moving into
the clay. (Assume a uniform acceleration.)
- A stone is dropped into a deep well and is heard to hit the water 3.41 s after being dropped.
Determine the depth of the well.
- It was once recorded that a Jaguar left skid marks that were 290 m in length. Assuming that the
Jaguar skidded to a stop with a constant acceleration of -3.90 m/s2, determine the speed of the
Jaguar before it began to skid.
- A plane has a takeoff speed of 88.3 m/s and requi res 1365 m to reach that speed. Determine the
acceleration of the plane and the time required to reach this speed.
- A dragster accelerates to a speed of 112 m/s over a distance of 398 m. Determine the
acceleration (assume uni form) of the dragster.
- With what speed in miles/hr (1 m/s = 2.23 mi/hr) must an object be thrown to reach a height of
91.5 m (equivalent to one football field)? Assume negligible a r resistance.