Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

To the Brilliant Staff

I just a have a small doubt regarding the assigning of levels to the problem. While posting a question i was just about to give a very hard question which probably is a level 5 problem in logic but when i posted the question and was about to select its level, i just couldn't select the level 5 because my current level in logic is level 3 but i think this is wrong because a person may be in level 4 or level 3 in the topic but is probably capable of posting a level 5 problem. How could a level in the topic just determine the potential of the person in posting good questions? I request the brilliant staff to just resolve this issue..any new suggestions are welcomed

Note by Vishwa Tej
1 year, 3 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Sort by:

Top Newest

For more information, you can view this recent discussion

In an idealized perfect world where everyone understands everything and agrees with how things should be done, I agree that “No level cap on problem creation” should be the default behavior. However, if we were to proceed and do so, here is what would quickly happen:

1. Many people would (for various reasons) post a problem as level 5.
  2. The level 5 filter will be flooded with problems that are across a huge range.
  3. Level 5’s would complain that most problems they see are not correctly rated.
  4. Brilliant level 5 would be meaningless to an informed observer.
  5. Brilliant would be unable to attract or retain Level 5.

We already see steps 1-3 happening. Often in the solution comments, we see things like “I can’t believe this is a level 5 problem, it is so easy”. We have been doing our best to clam down on such instances by issuing a stern warning.

Because of that, I am willing to comprise and deal with the edge case of “new-ish member with low level posts a really hard problem”. The moderators do look into popular problems, and help to adjust the level if they feel strongly about it. It is not a perfect system, and problems with low views or attempts do fall through the cracks. Calvin Lin Staff · 1 year, 3 months ago

@Calvin Lin But hopefully some persons do keep some good problems sir. The moderators could judge it as good or bad. But i think in today's world only some kind of people really judge a problem correctly so i agree with you. I will surely do my best to attain my level 5. Thank u sir Vishwa Tej · 1 year, 2 months ago

@Vishwa Tej Yes, problem ratings do get adjusted (both up and down) by the moderators. Calvin Lin Staff · 1 year, 2 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...