Construction 2Discrete Mathematics Level 3
- First, a 1 is placed in the middle square of the top row.
- The successive integers are then placed in their natural order (i.e. 2, 3, 4, ...) along a diagonal line that slopes upward and to the right, with the following modifications:
- When the top row is reached, the next integer is put in the bottom row as if it came immediately above the top row.
- When the right-hand column is reached, the next integer is put in the left-hand column as if it had immediately succeeded the right-hand column.
- When a square that has already been filled is reached or when the top right-hand square is reached, the next integer is placed in the square immediately below the last square that was filled.
Now, construct a magic square of order 11 using the above method. Among the numbers in the right-hand column, how many are odd?