Fruit tree output varies from year to year; can you plan ahead? Part II
- they must grow for two years before they begin bearing fruit.
- from years 3-10 they bear fruit at a rate of 10 bushels / year
- from years 11-12 they bear fruit at a rate of 9 bushels / year
- from years 13-20, they bear fruit at a rate of 8 bushels / year
- After year 20, the trees bear no fruit at all.
How often should you plan on replanting new trees to maximize apple production over the next 60 years? (note that fractional years are not an option, since you'd miss the harvest if the trees aren't present for a full year)?