A school has a long hallway of lockers numbered 1, 2, 3, and so on up to 1000. Now, consider the following practice
- Student #1 walks down the hallway and closes all the lockers.
- Student #2 walks down the hallway and flips all the even numbered lockers. So
now, the odd lockers are closed and the even lockers are open.
- Student #3 walks down the hall and flips all the lockers that are divisible by 3.
- Student #4 walks down the hall and flips all the lockers that are divisible by 4.
- Likewise students 5, 6, 7, and so on walk down the hall in turn, each flipping
lockers divisible by their own number until finally student 1000 flips the (one
and only) locker divisible by 1000 (the last locker)
After this, what is the state of locker numbered \( 999 \) ?