We're pleased to announce the Inaugural Brilliant.org Waterloo Engineering Undergraduate Scholarship! This is a full scholarship to attend the top-ranked engineering program in Canada.
Scholarships may be awarded to outstanding students entering the first year of an undergraduate degree program in the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Waterloo who have participated in the Brilliant.org enrichment community. One scholarship award will be reserved for outstanding female candidates only.
The scholarships will cover education and living expenses for the full undergraduate Engineering program (normally eight study terms) as follows: full tuition (including incidental and co-op fees), textbook allowance, residence or housing allowance, and a food allowance. The full value of the scholarship is $200,000 for international students ($50,000 per year) and $100,000 for Canadian students ($25,000 per year). Final selection will be based on academic excellence combined with extracurricular and leadership involvement as assessed through Waterloo Engineering’s Admission Information Form (AIF).
This scholarship is generously funded by Waterloo Engineering alumni Brigette Lau and Chamath Palihapitiya, in partnership with Brilliant.org. Recipients must remain in good academic standing each year to renew funds. Interested students must apply for consideration through Brilliant.org by January 31st (early deadline) or by February 15th (rolling deadline).
- Evidence of financial need (to be determined by Brilliant.org)
- Conversant in English (capable of meeting the University of Waterloo’s English proficiency requirements)
- Planning to enter the first year of an undergraduate degree program in 2015. You can defer for up to a year.
The recipient must remain in good academic standing. In order to receive award payments, you must have a clear academic promotion to the next term and continue to be enrolled in degree studies in the Faculty of Engineering.
By January 31 - Early application deadline
- Write an essay about 1) something you have done that you are proud of; OR 2) something you learned or a project you worked on outside of classes and homework. You may tell us about any challenges you faced and the lessons you learned. The maximum length of the essay is 650 words.
- Email your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org OR go to your profile and click "Submit Waterloo Scholarship Essay" to enter your essay.
- Optional: List any other meaningful achievements, awards, test scores, or extracurricular activities. No more than 200 words, please. You can include these in the email to email@example.com, or add them to your profile.
By February 15 - Rolling application deadline
- If you missed the early application deadline, you can still submit your essay through February 15. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all scholarships are awarded.
- Candidates who make the first cut submit their high school (or secondary school) transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org, and schedule an in-person or video interview with Brilliant staff. Further information will be available on Feb 18th.
By March 1
- Candidates who make the first cut work with Brilliant to apply to Waterloo Engineering through OUAC. Brilliant pays associated application fees.
By March 16
- Admission Information Forms are submitted.
April - May
- Admission decisions are finalized, and scholarship recipients are selected.
- Scholarship recipient is selected.