Careers at Brilliant
What's it like to work at Brilliant?
We're proud of our mission and the business we've built around it. We work really hard, and most days we love our jobs. Every person has a huge impact on Brilliant and its direction.
We care deeply about our impact on real people and the change we're bringing about in the world. Change takes time, and we're in this for the long-haul.
Why are we here?
Our mission is to inspire and develop people to achieve their goals in STEM – one person, one question, and one small commitment to learning at a time. Our vision is to create the premier STEM learning experience at massive scale.
To learn more about our approach to learning, see our Principles of Learning.
What's the office like?
Our SF office has a lot of office dogs. We eat lunch together every day, have happy hour once a week, and team events every ~2 months. Our main workspace is so quiet that it's like a library, if libraries had dogs and (relatedly) HEPA filters.
What kinds of people work at Brilliant today?
We typically share multiple of the following in common:
- Strong sense of mission
- Desire for autonomy and ownership over a domain
- Comfortability figuring things out without formalism or structure
- Strong generalist skill set within a domain or across domains
People here are passionate about their (often wonkish) hobbies, delight in unique creative portfolios, or have worked in some way to elevate educational outcomes.
- Competed at the International Math Olympiad
- Mentored the international FIRST Robotics Competition
- Consulted as a scientist for the TV shows CSI and Bones
- Taught the most prestigious US math circles
- Motorcycled across the country
- Won a global cryptology competition
- Built VR games
- Worked through college delivering packages for UPS
- Published cutting-edge molecular biology research at SRI
- Run the Harvard-MIT Math Tournament
- Built interactive, 3D Viking ship models in Norway
- Worked as a professional electrician
- Created art for Cards Against Humanity and Broad City
- Started a high school … while in high school
- Completed not one, but yes TWO Ph.D.'s
- Flown helicopters
- Dropped out of college
- Homeschooled 4 kids
What's the culture like?
We are curious people, and lunch conversations often dive deep into some area of "why", especially in STEM. We relish a great puzzle and think problem solving is a fun pastime. We are fiercely protective of our culture, which values community, adventure, kindness, candor, and a perpetual desire for knowledge.
As a team, we embrace diversity – of educational backgrounds, economic backgrounds, race, gender, sexual orientation, and many other categories too numerous to name.
And sometimes, a culture can also be defined by what it's not. There are many wonderful companies that offer perks that Brilliant doesn't prioritize. We'll refer to these companies as "Goobles".
If the right column below sounds great to you and you want to be a Goobler, working at Brilliant may not be for you. If the left column is more your speed, please take a look at the openings below and send us a note!
Join the Pirates!
Our vibe is more like this…
Join the Gooblers!
… and less like this.
Team and community:
Team and community:
Do you have any open roles?
If our culture sounds fun and you see a way you can contribute, don't hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org. We often hire for roles that aren't formally listed, or meet people early for roles that may be open in the future.
Here are some of our current openings:
Can I see some pictures from the past year?
We have just the collage for you: