I don't know what I have to do this expression I have heard a lot of times of students and persons who has in front of them a math problems. Not surprisingly, most of the schools (at least in Mexico) teach how solve exercises not problems. So what it is a problem? Is there a formula to solve math problems? Can anyone solve math problems? First, a math problem is an unknown about a math situation, you know some information and what you must find, but don't know which is the way to find it. This post was made for newbies.
Solve math problems is more technical than natural talent so anyone can be good at solving math problems with practice. Fortunately, doesn't exist a formula that tell us how to solve any math problem if that formula existed, math live will be boring), but I am going to give go some tips that help me to improve my math abilities.
How deal with the problem?
- Understand problem's redaction : what information gives me? what I have to find? How can I connect what I know with the unknowns of the problem?
- Make a plan of action (like an instructive)
- Follow the plan
- Check that the ideas of your solution has logic and coherence and error free.
Also there some strategies that you can use or search in your problem:
- Search similarity with other problem that you already have solved.
- Try to make simple the complex (divide the big problem in other small problems).
- Make some particular cases, only for have a clear idea not for proof.
- Reverse think.
- Study by cases.
Learn of your mistakes.
Take sufficient time for solve each problem, at least 30 minutes before look the solution or ask for hint.
Explain to other guys how you solve the problem.
I hope that helps you!
Do you have another advice?