I am posting this note to share my experience about my camp that I am still attending, my theory and practical examinations are over and I have no chance to qualify for the top four but still this camp is a great experience for me. You meet with some of the brightest students of India there.
Unlike the KVPY camp this camp had many things Fun, lectures, hostel life( I haven't watched T.V. over a week and their's no A.C in my room), eating at canteens that serve seriously bad food, but the best part was the fun part.
We did play many games like various games in cards, UNO and my favourite Badminton, we also played mafia with around 20 people together. There were people from different parts of the country , among some of my friends there was two from kolkata, one from banglore , one from orissa one from nagpur,mumbai etc
Another interesting aspect was the lectures, there were well respected people giving lectures on various topics like Chemical Potential, Steady State Approximations, Protecting groups Structures and properties of silicates and Borosilicates, Oxidising and reducing Agents for functional groups, Mechanisms for substitution in complexes and ways to determine mechanism, Trans effect causes and it's use in synthesis of complexes, Phase transition thermodynamics, Claussius - Clapereyon Equation , Derivation of raults law and elevation in boiling point and depression of freezing point derivation and some other topics.
Last but another interesting aspect of the camp was the practicals. Just wow , the lab was of colledge level with a huge amount of chemicals and various kinds of instruments, there were individual tables for everyone with every thing provided at the table itself with no movement whatsoever. The new instruments we were introduced were :
1) Pipette bulb(No need for mouth pipetting)
2) Hot plate and hot water bath( for heating)
3) Ice bath( for cooling to 0 C)
4) Glass rods(we were rarely given glass rods at school)
6) Micro capillary ( for absorbing a very small amount of liquid)
7) Thin Layer Chromatography plate,chamber.
The things we did there includes.
1) Thin Layer Chromatography.
2) Synthesis of compounds like.
• 2-4 DNP Derivative
• Imimes( more specifically condensing 4-ethoxy aniline and 4- nitro Benzaldehyde)
• Copper AcetylAcetonato Chelate complex.
• Acid Orange ( An azo dye, my favourite, azo coupling of B-Napthol and Sulphanillic Acid)
3) Some very typical titrations like :
• Double titration ( Determining the amount of Carbonate and bicarbonate in the sample)
• Iodometric titration( Determining the amount of Ascorbic acid in the sample)
• Complexometric and redox titration ( Toughest, Determining the amount of Calcium and magnesium in the sample, titrating with standard EDTA and KMnO4) in the solution.
With this I finish my note if you have anything to ask feel free to ask it.