Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

A nice result.

Given that \(\quad a+b+c=0\)

Prove that : \[2(a^4+b^4+c^4)=(a^2+b^2+c^2)^2\]

Nice proofs are always welcome!

Note by Nihar Mahajan
2 years, 6 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

Lets start off by finding the value of \(\ a^2 +b^2 +c^2 \) in terms of another sum by doing the following: \[(a+b+c)^2 = a^2 +b^2 +c^2 +2(ab +ac +bc) = 0 \Rightarrow\ (a^2 +b^2 +c^2)^2 = 4(ab+ac+bc)^2 \]

Now expanding out the RHS: \[... = 4(a^2 b^2 +a^2 c^2 + b^2 c^2 +2abc(a+b+c)) = 4(a^2 b^2 +a^2 c^2 + b^2 c^2) \]

Now if we expand out \(\ (a^2 +b^2 +c^2)^2 \) and cancel out terms we get: \[ a^4 +b^4 +c^4 = 2 (a^2 b^2 +a^2 c^2 + b^2 c^2) \ ........ \ (1) \] \[\Rightarrow\ 2(a^4 +b^4 +c^4) = a^4 +b^4 +c^4 + 2 (a^2 b^2 +a^2 c^2 + b^2 c^2) \]

\[\therefore\ 2(a^4 +b^4 +c^4) = (a^2 +b^2 +c^2)^2 \]

Curtis Clement - 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah! Thanks , I got an easier way . Read below.

Nihar Mahajan - 2 years, 6 months ago

Approach: Factoring polynomials using the (slightly abused) remainder factor theorem for polynomials in several degrees.

Define \( f(a, b, c) = 2 (a^4 + b^4 + c^4) - (a^2 + b^2 + c^2) ^2 \).
We want to show that if \( a+b+ c = 0 \), then \( f(a, b, c) = 0 \). This strongly suggests to us that \( f(a, b, c) = (a+b+c) \times g(a, b, c) \).

If \( a + b + c = 0 \), then we have \( f( -b-c, b, c ) = 0 \). Notice that the powers of \(a \) only occur in even degree, hence \( f(a, b, c) = f(-a, b, c) \). This implies that \( f( b+c, b, c ) = 0 \), and thus that \( a-b-c \mid f(a, b, c) \). Cyclically, we also get that \( b-c-a \mid f(a,b,c)\) and \( c-a-b \mid f(a,b,c) \).

Putting this all together, this strongly suggests that

\[ (a+b+c)(a-b-c)(b-c-a)(c-a-b) \mid f(a,b,c) \]

Since both sides have the same degree (4), we know that they differ by a constant. In fact, we can now verify that

\[ f(a, b, c) = - (a+b+c)(a-b-c)(b-c-a)(c-a-b) \]

Calvin Lin Staff - 2 years, 6 months ago

The equation \(2(a^4 + b^4 + c^4) = (a^2 + b^2 + c^2)^2\) is equivalent to \[-a^4 - b^4 - c^4 + 2a^2 b^2 + 2a^2 c^2 + 2b^2 c^2 = 0.\] This equation factors as \[(a + b + c)(-a + b + c)(a - b + c)(a + b - c) = 0,\] and the result follows.

This factorization comes up in Heron's formula: \[ \begin{align*} K^2 &= s(s - a)(s - b)(s - c) \\ &= \frac{1}{16} (a + b + c)(-a + b + c)(a - b + c)(a + b - c) \\ &= \frac{1}{16} (-a^4 - b^4 - c^4 + 2a^2 b^2 + 2a^2 c^2 + 2b^2 c^2). \end{align*} \]

Jon Haussmann - 2 years, 6 months ago

Really great , I was curious of a heron's formula solution. Thanks!

Great! That's the "Use Heron's Formula" that I alluded to. There are many ways to write the expression of \(K\), and most people are only familiar with the factored form, instead of the expanded form.

Use the convention of \(S_1 = a+b+c\), \(S_2=ab+bc+ca\) and \(S_3 = abc\), and \(P_n = a^n+b^n+c^n\). Then by Newton's Sum method:

\(P_2 = S_1 P_1 - 2S_2 = 0 - 2S_2 = -2S_2\)

\(S_4 = S_1P_3-S_2P_2+S_3P_1 = 0 -S_2(-2S_2) + 0 = 2S_2^2\)

Now \(LHS = 2P_4 = 4S_2^2\) and \(RHS = P_2^2 = (-2S_2)^2 = 4S_2^2 = LHS\)

Chew-Seong Cheong - 2 years, 6 months ago

Comment deleted Apr 18, 2015

Seems pretty straightforward to me. What are you struggling with?

Do you know how to get started?

I am using Newton's identities , but am unable to get the desired result. :(

@Nihar Mahajan There are multiple approaches to take. Here are some possible starting places:

1. Show that \( LHS - RHS = ( a + b + c ) \times stuff \).
  2. Substitute in \( a = - b - c \) and show that both sides are equal.
  3. Recall that this is used in Heron's Formula.
  4. Observe that if \( a = b + c \) then equality holds too.
  5. Newton's Identities

@Calvin Lin Sir , help here too. Thanks in advance.

@Calvin Lin Sir ,

\[\sigma_1=a+b+c=0 \\ \sigma_2=ab+bc+ac \\\sigma_3=abc\\ S_1=a+b+c=0 \\ S_2=a^2+b^2+c^2 \\S_3=a^3+b^3+c^3\]

By Newton's identity, \[S_2=\sigma_1^2-2\sigma_2 \\ \sigma_2= -\dfrac{S_2}{2}\]

By Newton's identity , \[S_4=\sigma_1S_3 - \sigma_2S_2+\sigma_3S_1 \\ S_4 = 0 -\left(\dfrac{-S_2}{2}\right)S_2+0 \\ 2S_4=S_2^2\]

Hence , proved.

I had forgotten that \(S_1 = \sigma_1\) which caused problem.Sorry Calvin Sir for wasting your valuable time for such straightforward problem.Also , your approach is also good and I will try it too.

Should I delete this note , since my problem is solved?Thanks!

@Nihar Mahajan Wow! So you're going to use this result in one of your next questions?

Sanjeet Raria - 2 years, 6 months ago

@Sanjeet Raria Nope , this was a question in one of my exercises! Due to many variables I had forgotten that \(S_1=\sigma_1\) which led me out of correct way.

@Nihar Mahajan Okay. .. keep it up! :)

Sanjeet Raria - 2 years, 6 months ago

@Nihar Mahajan Oh nice, I can now edit my comment to add in Newton Identity as an approach.

Leave this note up, so that others can refer to it.

Think about the other approaches that I listed, and see how they work.

@Calvin Lin Indeed , this is a beautiful result. I will surely look forward for more approaches.Thanks a lot for your co-operation.

Plug In 1+1-2 xD xD Just kidding. I'm on it!

Mehul Arora - 2 years, 6 months ago

That's the most special case. -_-

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...