Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Olympiad Practice Problems Part 2

After Part 1, here's the second one. This time the problems are from RMO, conducted in various states of India. Have fun, and please post hints/solutions as comments, like, re-share, and enjoy!

1 ** Two boxes contain between them total 65 balls of several different sizes. Each ball is of any one colour from white, black, red, or yellow. If we take any 5 balls of the same colour, at least two of them always have same size. Prove that there are at least 3 balls which have the same box, same colour, and the same size.

2 A square sheet of paper ABCD is so folded that B falls on the mid-point of CD. Prove that the crease will divide BC in the ratio 5:3.

3 'N' is a 50 digit number. All digits of N are 1, except the \(26^{th}\) digit from the left. Find it, given that 13 divides N.

4 If \(a,b,c \in \mathbb{Z^+}\), and \(\gcd(a,b,c)=1\), and \(\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{c}\), prove that \((a+b)\) is a square.

5 ABCD is a cyclic quadrilateral with perpendicular diagonals AC and BD, intersecting at E. Prove that \(EA^2+EB^2+EC^2+ED^2=OA^2+OB^2+OC^2+OD^2\), where O is the center of the circle.

6 Let ABCD be a rectangle with \(AB=a\) and \(BC=b\) . Suppose \(r_1\) is the radius of the circle passing through A and B and touching CD, and \(r_2\) is the radius of the circle passing through B and C and touching AD. Show that \(r_1+r_2 \geq \dfrac{5(a+b)}{8}\) .

Note by Satvik Golechha
2 years, 9 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

1. At least \(2\) out of \(5\) balls of same color is same sized, so each color has at most \(4\) different sizes. Notice that one box must contain \(\ge \lceil 65/2\rceil=33\) balls, and in that box there are \(\ge \lceil 33/4\rceil=9\) balls of same color. Finally, among those \(9\) balls, there must be \(\ge \lceil 9/4\rceil=3\) balls of same size. \(\square\)

2. If the fold causes at the point \(M\in BC\), set \(BM=a\) and \(MC=b\). Let \(N\) be the midpoint of \(CD\). Then \(CN=BC/2=(a+b)/2\) and \(a=BM=MN\) by symmetry. So Pythagorean theorem on right \(\triangle MCN\) gives \(MN^2=MC^2+CN^2\implies a^2=b^2+(a+b)^2/4\implies (a+b)(3a-5b)=0\). Since \(a+b\neq 0\) we have \(3a-5b=0\) that is \(a/b=5/3\). \(\square\)

3. Since \(13\mid 111111\), the number found by removing first \(6\times 4=24\) ones, is divisible by \(13\). Also we can replace the rightmost \(6\times 4=24\) ones by zeros. So if the unknown digit is \(d\) then \(13\mid 10^{24}(10+d)\). By Fermat's little theorem \(10^{12}\equiv 1\pmod{13}\), so \(13\mid 10+d\). It follows that \(d=3\). \(\square\)

4. Let \(\gcd(a,b)=g\), write \(a=gm\) and \(b=gn\) with \(\gcd(m,n)=1\). Now the equation rewrites to \((m+n)/mn = g/c\). Now \(\gcd(g,c)=\gcd(a,b,c)=1\) and \(\gcd(m+n,mn)=\gcd(m,n)=1\) so \(m+n=g\). Substituting this value yields \(a+b=gm+gn=g(m+n)=g^2\). \(\square\)

5. Notice that \(\angle AOB=2\angle ADB=2\angle ADE=2\left(90^\circ-\angle DAE\right)=180^\circ-2\angle DAC=180^\circ-\angle COD\). Now let \(\angle AOB=\theta\). Now \(\left(EA^2+EB^2\right)+\left(EC^2+ED^2\right)=AB^2+CD^2\) by Pythagorean theorem. Let \(R\) be the radius. By law of cosine \(OA^2+OB^2=AB^2+2R^2\cos \theta\) and \(OC^2+OD^2=CD^2+2R^2\cos\left(180^\circ-\theta\right)=CD^2-2R^2\cos\theta\). Adding these we have \(OA^2+OB^2+OC^2+OD^2=AB^2+CD^2\) as well. \(\square\)

6. Clearly the circles touch at the midpoints of the sides. It is then a straight computation using cosine law to find that \(r_1=a^2/8b+b/2\) and \(r_2=b^2/8a+a/2\). Subbing and simplifying reduces the inequality to \(a^2/b+b^2/a\ge a+b\) which follows by Titu's lemma. \(\square\)

Jubayer Nirjhor · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Jubayer Nirjhor I can't see why I mustn't call you god. Krishna Ar · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Krishna Ar I can't see why I mustn't call you god. Satvik Golechha · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Satvik Golechha I can't see why I mustn't call you god. Krishna Ar · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Krishna Ar I can't see why I mustn't call you god. Satvik Golechha · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Jubayer Nirjhor I can't see why I mustn't call you god. Harsh Shrivastava · 1 year, 6 months ago

@Jubayer Nirjhor I can't see why I mustn't call you god Harsh Shrivastava · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Jubayer Nirjhor I can't see why I mustn't call you God. Kartik Sharma · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Kartik Sharma I can't see why I mustn't call you god. Satvik Golechha · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Satvik Golechha I can't see why I mustn't call you God. Kartik Sharma · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Jubayer Nirjhor I can't see why I mustn't call you god. Abrar Nihar · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Abrar Nihar I can't see why I mustn't call you god. Mahdi Al-kawaz · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Mahdi Al-kawaz I can't see why I mustn't call you god. Satvik Golechha · 2 years, 9 months ago

@Jubayer Nirjhor I can't see why I mustn't call you God. Satvik Golechha · 2 years, 9 months ago

Comment deleted Feb 06, 2016

@Swapnil Das I can't see why I mustn't call you god. Aditya Chauhan · 2 years ago

I can't help but imagine people attempting Q2 in the exam and folding their paper, leaving the invigilators thinking 'what sort of exam is this?" :P Curtis Clement · 2 years, 8 months ago

@Curtis Clement Hehehe my mom too asked me what kind of math is this Aman Dubey · 1 year, 6 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...