Waste less time on Facebook — follow Brilliant.

Please Help!

Two blocks \(A\) and \(B\) of same mass \(M\) are connected with each other with an ideal string of length \(2l\) passing over an ideal pulley. The block \(A\) is connected to a light pan \(C\) with an ideal string as shown in figure. A particle of mass \(\frac{M}{2}\) is dropped on pan from height \(\frac{l}{2}\) as shown. If collision between particle and pan is plastic, acceleration of \(B\) just after the collision is?

Ans is \[\frac{g}{9}\].

Is this solution correct?

Note by Nishant Rai
1 year, 8 months ago

No vote yet
1 vote

Comments

Sort by:

Top Newest

My Answer is a little different..

Rohit Gupta · 1 year, 7 months ago

I think you guys would like to see this discussion. Satvik Pandey · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Nishant Rai

Although your answer is correct, the FBDs that you have drawn are not. You have missed out the gravitational force on \(A\). Due to this reason, you have skipped using \(T_1 -Mg=Ma\)

In reality, at the moment the mass strikes the pan:

\(T_1 = Mg + M\frac {v^2}{l}\)

And hence: \(T_1 -Mg=Ma=M\frac {v^2}{l}\)

Otherwise, you can also use constraint relations to get to same result. Raghav Vaidyanathan · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Raghav Vaidyanathan I have a confusion. I think it is assumed that just after the collision block A performs a circular motion. But as soon as the block a A gets a tangential velocity it would have centripetal as well as a radial acceleration. How can we ignore that? Satvik Pandey · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Raghav Vaidyanathan Raghav Vaidyanathan

i have done the same thing, (this solution is not mine, this question came in mock paper of some coaching institute, they have provided this solution) Nishant Rai · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Nishant Rai Okay, but they aren't fully wrong, we can get everything without FBD itself... Raghav Vaidyanathan · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Raghav Vaidyanathan btw you are appearing for JEE ? are you enrolled in any coaching institute? Nishant Rai · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Nishant Rai Yes, FIITJEE Raghav Vaidyanathan · 1 year, 8 months ago

Can you please post the solution to Angular width of Refracted Beam!

Raghav Vaidyanathan Nishant Rai · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Nishant Rai @Raghav Vaidyanathan Nishant Rai · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Nishant Rai ok Raghav Vaidyanathan · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Raghav Vaidyanathan Could you please explain this answer? Satvik Pandey · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Nishant Rai @satvik pandey i have made a note on this problem inviting views of other brilliant members(bc now even i am confused :/ ) Nishant Rai · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Nishant Rai Thanks for making it! :) Satvik Pandey · 1 year, 8 months ago

@Nishant Rai Why wasn't \(T_1\) impulsive.😓 Kyle Finch · 1 year, 8 months ago

Problem Loading...

Note Loading...

Set Loading...